The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, Slipmat said:

At the moment I'd be push, push, pushing for Cochrane, East, Todd* and Paton to re-sign asap.

On the fence about Cowie, Muir, McKechnie, Connelly** and McGrory.

No idea about Botterill.

The rest... nah...  although I've got this nagging, horrible, sick feeling that MB may re-sign The Ghost.

* sorry if this upsets you, Manwithnoball!

** Connelly needs a run of games to prove himself again because in my mind we'd be offering him a deal based purely on the Connelly of 2021/22 not 2022/23.

To be honest I totally agree about Connelly he has not played enough this season due to injury and WG not playing him. I don't think he deserves a new deal at this time. But for the life of me I have no idea why Murray gets time ahead of Connelly or McGrory in that position. I really do not see what he gives the team but the manager has other thoughts and it would turn my stomach if he got a new deal. 

I really liked Todd believe it or not when he played of the left hand side of a 4 as it suited his game more but all the formation changes to me don't suit him. It's a funny one with the holding midfield role that Cochrane Wilson and McGrory have all filled this year my preference would be Wilson but I agree with @qos1990that Bartley does not rate him or McGrory and expect both not to be here next year. Cochrane has had a run of games and his fitness has improved considerably. 

Just now with 9 games to go Bartley has picked the same team more or less including the 👻 for the last 4 games even after losses to me that sends a message to the rest that they are not rated or part of his plans.

Going by this I would expect East, Cochrane, Todd to be offered something for next year if they want to stay. The rest I can't see a strong enough case for at this time. Paton will not sign in my opinion as he thinks he will get a better team but like most others I do not agree he is ready for a significant step up. Someone in the championship may take a risk but obviously we will be due a development fee. Young Lewis I would imagine will have options and obviously a fee would be involved but I feel we may be tested by someone to see if we wil let him go.

I believe also he wants Wilson out of the club and would not surprise me if they mutually agreed to him leaving without a fee.

I don't think Bartley will give anyone a new deal while the season is still going like a lot of clubs do at this time of the season with players they want to keep. 

Cochrane certainly had a tough day up at Airdrie.  Things weren't going for him that day and he seemed to be overly keen to make amends so that he was going for tackles he was never going to make/win and this led to his booking and eventually getting hooked, or else he was a red waiting to happen.  He still scored a Hollywood goal that day though and you can always see that there is a quality player in there.  Being injury prone has held back his career -hence why he's playing at our level now, so I'm glad that he's finally getting a good run of games to help his confidence.  I'd definitely keep him for next season.

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If that's the case would he not be on the loans out market with Reilly and Quitongo. Too late for that now of course so we'll see how much game time he gets in the last quarter to gauge if he's in Bartley's plans. 

How do you know the opportunity wasn’t giving to wilson?

33 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I wish we'd play two up front especially in home games.

You do that and it leaves us down further back. With how weak we can be in midfield and defence I can understand why he's going for one up front just now.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don't know, but Bartley has named players he wanted out on loan and Wilson wasn't among them. 

Wilson was given the opportunity to go out on loan to try and regain match fitness but declined the offer apparently. 

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You do that and it leaves us down further back. With how weak we can be in midfield and defence I can understand why he's going for one up front just now.

Yip. Plus hardly have loads of reinforcements upfront.

Paton definitely looks isolated at times and a few times on Saturday it felt a bit like a lost cause lumping crosses in. But been impressed with him. He puts in some shift. Someone up front with him would be smashing but, I agree, would leave us exposed. 

Reserves made it 6 wins and a draw in their last 7 games this afternoon with a 4-0 win at K-Park against Motherwell.

Don't know the line-up but scorers were McMahon, Connelly, Irving & Mendy.

40 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Reserves made it 6 wins and a draw in their last 7 games this afternoon with a 4-0 win at K-Park against Motherwell.

Don't know the line-up but scorers were McMahon, Connelly, Irving & Mendy.

Good to see Mendy on the scoresheet. Was impressed with him in the last game against Motherwell. Looks promising. 

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good to see Mendy on the scoresheet. Was impressed with him in the last game against Motherwell. Looks promising. 

Any time I have seen Mendy he has impressed me hopefully we can keep him he looks ready for the 1st team next season.

2 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Why has young Gibson never been picked for Scotland Under 18s. Anyone any idea?

He is can't be deemed good enough by the manager, prob not helped that he is playing in the scottish first division. 

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Surprised as he is playing to a good standard in senior football and most of the other young ones are still playing youth games. 

Wrong club to get selected like a lot of young players... 

Really wish this season would end right now we are a club going nowhere .

Marvin Bartley has a massive job trying to get a squad  good enough to challenge for a play off spot next season.

We need a clearout how WG thought this squad was good enough I have no idea.

We are desperate for experience and height  in the squad especially in defence .

My only worry is there has been no improvement since Bartley has been here but he should get at least the  close season to get his own squad signed.

One last thing why is he not playing Wilson when he is fit he is easily our best midfielder. 

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Really wish this season would end right now we are a club going nowhere .

Marvin Bartley has a massive job trying to get a squad  good enough to challenge for a play off spot next season.

We need a clearout how WG thought this squad was good enough I have no idea.

We are desperate for experience and height  in the squad especially in defence .

My only worry is there has been no improvement since Bartley has been here but he should get at least the  close season to get his own squad signed.

One last thing why is he not playing Wilson when he is fit he is easily our best midfielder. 

Goodness. Why do you keep saying the same thing. I couldn’t make it today but why repeat the same mantra. WG signed a terrible squad and Marvin has to fix it this summer. Even the best manager couldn’t coach this talentless and toothless lot. Suck it up until the summer. End of