The Queen of the South thread

On 08/02/2023 at 19:26, DoonhamerDon said:

Another decent break before the next league game. I've been trying to work out what might be needed to squeeze into that last play-off spot.

Typically you are looking at 50-60 points for 4th, the higher end of that when the league has a couple of teams really cut off at the bottom like this year.

PPG that is about 1.5/1.6 and we are running at 1.33 at the moment.

12 games left and you're looking at minimum 6 wins, more likely 8 or 9. 

As I've said a step too far IMO but you never know. Just want to get to a stage of having some optimism for next season that isn't shown to be massively misplaced by September. 

I said a month ago we would need at least 6 wins, likely 8 or 9. I still think that's a step too far and the dream died with the Kelty defeat last week. But happy to keep things mathematically alive as long as possible and end the season strongly.

Games like Airdrie at home are the ones we need to be winning consistently next year and just haven't this year at all. 

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

The only one out of contract who actually looks like he is playing for a new contract and excelling so far under Bartley.

Out of all the players out of contract this summer, only East and Cochrane are deserving of new deals in my opinion.

41 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Out of all the players out of contract this summer, only East and Cochrane are deserving of new deals in my opinion.

Add Paton Todd and Connelly.

McKechnie is going the right way to earn a new contract .

53 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Add Paton Todd and Connelly.

McKechnie is going the right way to earn a new contract .

Paton will be away regardless and I can’t see Connelly being a MB type player to be honest. Is Todd not under contract for next year anyway?

And yes, giving McKechnie a new deal would be wise as he seems to be improving game by game after previously not getting a look in and his injury problems.

10 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Paton will be away regardless and I can’t see Connelly being a MB type player to be honest. Is Todd not under contract for next year anyway?

Todd only signed for this year but may want to stay on if given the option. But do his performances merit it not for me. Totally agree re Paton and Connelly has been injured most of this season. If fit he is an asset. A lot of others are obviously not Bartley's type as they have not featured so can start to look for a new club

Cochrane the only one I’d by rushing to sign at moment. Mckechnie has had two decent performances let’s not get carried away, East/Connelly on fence with would like to see east used at left back once we have another able centre half. Cammy Logan had looked alright the two games I’ve saw him, another undecided on. Paton definitely won’t be here as much as I don’t think he will get the move he thinks he will

41 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Cochrane the only one I’d by rushing to sign at moment. Mckechnie has had two decent performances let’s not get carried away, East/Connelly on fence with would like to see east used at left back once we have another able centre half. Cammy Logan had looked alright the two games I’ve saw him, another undecided on. Paton definitely won’t be here as much as I don’t think he will get the move he thinks he will

Funny how quickly people’s opinions turn. The amount of abuse Cochrane was getting at Airdrie away was shocking yet only a few months later fans are desperate to keep him for next year.

4 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Funny how quickly people’s opinions turn. The amount of abuse Cochrane was getting at Airdrie away was shocking yet only a few months later fans are desperate to keep him for next year.

Funny what finding a proper role can do for a player, Mckechnie and cochrane two prime examples

44 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Would you take Cochrane over a fit Wilson?

I've liked Cochrane from Day 1 tbh. Always knew there was a player in there it just needed someone to find out what he could do best. Very early days but MB so far seems to know what that is. 

For me, a fit Wilson would be my No. 1. priority signing this close season. Ahead of even Paton. But the reality is there's no such thing as a fit Wilson and as much as I'd like to keep hold of him next season, I'll be hoping Cochrane is wrapped up first. 

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

He was mainly mince in that game at Airdrie tbf, scored a good goal but that only covered his mistakes/poor passing/tackling, etc. Was rightly hooked iirc cos he was in danger of getting a 2nd booking. I don't think he got any more abuse in that game than any other player would who's having a bit of a 'mare. Just because he's now hit a bit of form and become one of our main players doesn't whitewash over his previous poor performances. It's probably a bit like the Max Johnston situation, he was also widely criticised for his early performances but eventually became a mainstay in the team. On current form I would be happy enough if Cochrane was kept on, earlier in the season I would have been absolutely beeling at the thought of him re-signing.

At the moment I'd be push, push, pushing for Cochrane, East, Todd* and Paton to re-sign asap.

On the fence about Cowie, Muir, McKechnie, Connelly** and McGrory.

No idea about Botterill.

The rest... nah...  although I've got this nagging, horrible, sick feeling that MB may re-sign The Ghost.

* sorry if this upsets you, Manwithnoball!

** Connelly needs a run of games to prove himself again because in my mind we'd be offering him a deal based purely on the Connelly of 2021/22 not 2022/23.

Edited by Slipmat

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He was mainly mince in that game at Airdrie tbf, scored a good goal but that only covered his mistakes/poor passing/tackling, etc. Was rightly hooked iirc cos he was in danger of getting a 2nd booking. I don't think he got any more abuse in that game than any other player would who's having a bit of a 'mare. Just because he's now hit a bit of form and become one of our main players doesn't whitewash over his previous poor performances. It's probably a bit like the Max Johnston situation, he was also widely criticised for his early performances but eventually became a mainstay in the team. On current form I would be happy enough if Cochrane was kept on, earlier in the season I would have been absolutely beeling at the thought of him re-signing.

I seem to remember the young team were giving him pelters that day and the guy sat beside me was an absolute moron just shouting shite anytime he touched the ball. Also, I'm not claiming he was having his best game that day, but as I told the guy beside me, I would always rather my midfielder always shows for the ball regardless and tries to dictate the play. I think some of our other midfielders are bad for hiding and not showing/asking for the ball (Todd and McGrory). For me, Cochrane has had the odd good game but he has just never played consistently enough in the team due to his fitness issues, now he is playing consistently without an injury we are seeing the player he is. It will be interesting to see when (or if) Wilson is fit and in the starting 11 how that impacts Cochrane's performance, as others have pointed out he seems less effective when he doesn't play as deep (the role Wilson plays when fit).

4 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I seem to remember the young team were giving him pelters that day and the guy sat beside me was an absolute moron just shouting shite anytime he touched the ball. Also, I'm not claiming he was having his best game that day, but as I told the guy beside me, I would always rather my midfielder always shows for the ball regardless and tries to dictate the play. I think some of our other midfielders are bad for hiding and not showing/asking for the ball (Todd and McGrory). For me, Cochrane has had the odd good game but he has just never played consistently enough in the team due to his fitness issues, now he is playing consistently without an injury we are seeing the player he is. It will be interesting to see when (or if) Wilson is fit and in the starting 11 how that impacts Cochrane's performance, as others have pointed out he seems less effective when he doesn't play as deep (the role Wilson plays when fit).

Tbh I don’t think Bartley fancies Wilson. Thought we were crying out for him in beside HC final 10/15 mins, shore up the midfield. 

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Tbh I don’t think Bartley fancies Wilson. Thought we were crying out for him in beside HC final 10/15 mins, shore up the midfield. 

Agree a was waiting on Wilson replacing non existant Todd last 15/20 mins... 

3 hours ago, qos1990 said:

If that's the case would he not be on the loans out market with Reilly and Quitongo. Too late for that now of course so we'll see how much game time he gets in the last quarter to gauge if he's in Bartley's plans.