The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I was trying to suggest (not very clearly) that Imrie inherited a squad that although performing poorly, did have reasonable quality and character capable of being improved by good coaching. Unfortunately, the squad Bartley has inherited is just sorely lacking in either and I'm not sure that even Imrie could have worked his magic on our mob.

You're using the subsequent outcomes to reach that view retrospectively.  It's self fulfilling.

I doubt if there was much at the time Imrie took over, to suggest that his squad contained considerable potential.  

In fact, I've read plenty on here during the last two summers to say ours was shaping up nicely.  When the complication of football matches came along, viewpoints quickly shifted.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're using the subsequent outcomes to reach that view retrospectively.  It's self fulfilling.

I doubt if there was much at the time Imrie took over, to suggest that his squad contained considerable potential.  

In fact, I've read plenty on here during the last two summers to say ours was shaping up nicely.  When the complication of football matches came along, viewpoints quickly shifted.

Absolutely, it's my retrospective view, it's what football supporters do - isn't it?  At the start of the season we discuss the potential quality of the squad being compiled and then towards the end of the season we look back with the knowledge of actual evidence to evaluate the actual quality of the squad as demonstrated through the first three-quarters of the season and as measured against that of the other clubs in our league.  It's all about opinions, both before and after the event.  Now I might just have got this wrong, but ... isn't that one of the purposes of forums such as these - to share opinions?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

It's all about opinions, both before and after the event.  Now I might just have got this wrong, but ... isn't that one of the purposes of forums such as these - to share opinions?

Indeed, and to challenge them if appropriate.

I don't see why being a football fan requires the suspension of critical faculties though.

On 03/03/2023 at 06:07, Dunning1874 said:

This is relative though. The squad Imrie inherited at Morton in December 2021 was clearly better on paper than the squad Bartley has inherited at Queen of the South, but relative to the standard of divisions they're in there's no doubt that Bartley has less of a challenge.

Imrie inherited a side who were bottom of the league with just 13 points from 18 games, who had only won twice all season and had only 1 win in their previous 16 games. That's a considerably worse state than Queens were in in League One, but he won five of his first eight regardless.

I think it's extremely early to be making any kind of judgements on Bartley and he's always going to be charge next season no matter what happens, but I don't think it's true at all to say he's been dealt a more difficult hand than Imrie was, or that matter Willie Gibson last season. Coming in to have half a season with no expectation of promotion but also absolutely no prospect of relegation is something a lot of managers would love.

Wasn’t there today as in Mexico but sounds like a battling performance and it’s a win against a top 5 side. Maybe we can cut Mr Bartley a little slack and say well done for once. We didn’t beat Airdrie under WG so maybe some early signs of progress that the fans crave? 

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Wasn’t there today as in Mexico but sounds like a battling performance and it’s a win against a top 5 side. Maybe we can cut Mr Bartley a little slack and say well done for once. We didn’t beat Airdrie under WG so maybe some early signs of progress that the fans crave? 

We looked better going forward scoring 3 good goals much better set up  playing 4-5-1 .

It should  have been a  comfortable win but again our defending was shocking we will get nowhere gifting goals like today .

This passing out from the back is asking for trouble as we found many times today .

The keeper and the defence played far to many  poor passes which on another day would have cost us. 

Still  a good win but not good for my blood pressure .

Gifting goals was the feature of the day for both sides and fair dos to Queens for doing it better a la third goal which was a great shot. 

Neither side seem able to solidify a play off spot for third/ fourth and the last quarter will be testing for loads of the chasers below the top two. Just hope you sort out Edinburgh whatever.

The mince pie was very good.

Well done Marv. Could see some signs of change like eh.

Great spell before the first half ended. It was silky football.

Good job Airdrie were using their big toes like when they were shooting or it might have been different like eh.

Love the big man in the goals. He had two quality saves and he seems a nutter. Everything you need for a keeper like.

Was pure looking through my fingers the last 30 mins as I thought it was going to happen again.

But we showed we can dig it out. 

Keep up the commitment and  improvement.

Edited by Alan grey

I know he’s still got another year on his contract but there’s a good chance we could lose young Gibbo next season unless Queens can offer him a better deal. 
I’d much rather he stayed and learnt his trade here for a few years than sign for someone else. He’s still young and has a lot to learn but the boy has a big future in the game. 

The win yesterday was important in the sense that it didn’t consign us to 9 meaningless games in Quarter 4. Looking at the table Alloa are the realistic target to try and overhaul but it looks a huge task. If Alloa match their average quarterly points total of 14 in Q4 it will take them to the 56 point mark. In reality we need them to “blow up” and perhaps finish around the 52 point mark leaving us a points target in Q4 of say 18 ……….the equivalent of 6 wins out of 9. Edinburgh surely can’t “bottle it” to the extent  that we require so realistically it is Alloa that we need to crumble and hope Airdrie and Montrose don’t do anything exceptional.

It will take a monumental change in our fortunes to win 6 out of 9 but at least we are still alive albeit very much on the periphery of things.

22 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The win yesterday was important in the sense that it didn’t consign us to 9 meaningless games in Quarter 4. Looking at the table Alloa are the realistic target to try and overhaul but it looks a huge task. If Alloa match their average quarterly points total of 14 in Q4 it will take them to the 56 point mark. In reality we need them to “blow up” and perhaps finish around the 52 point mark leaving us a points target in Q4 of say 18 ……….the equivalent of 6 wins out of 9. Edinburgh surely can’t “bottle it” to the extent  that we require so realistically it is Alloa that we need to crumble and hope Airdrie and Montrose don’t do anything exceptional.

It will take a monumental change in our fortunes to win 6 out of 9 but at least we are still alive albeit very much on the periphery of things.

Agreed. I think any play-off chance is wafer thin really. However, if we manage to put in a few positive performances in a row then, if nothing else, it'll give the whole place a lift.

4 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I know he’s still got another year on his contract but there’s a good chance we could lose young Gibbo next season unless Queens can offer him a better deal. 
I’d much rather he stayed and learnt his trade here for a few years than sign for someone else. He’s still young and has a lot to learn but the boy has a big future in the game. 

Has a big future if he continues getting first team football anything else now will stagnate his development