The Queen of the South thread

22 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

A bit of selective memory from SD here.

I particularly recall one of Max's early games at Starks Park where Zanatta repeatedly tore him a new one and we ended up firstly having to double-up on Zanatta with Wullie as a "second" right-back, before Max was moved to the left side and eventually hooked.

I thought he looked out of his depth in his first half dozen or so games and it took until his short spell midfield before he started to look like a player.  After he reverted to right back he was fine though.

Zanatta had one of those days that day. 12 months earlier Kai Kennedy absolutely tore Wullie Gibson apart. Nobody said Wullie Gibson was hopeless and shouldnt be playing again as a result (& nor should they have).

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah and when you made it I'm pretty sure I said you were wrong then too. You have your opinion, I have mine. Max was decent from the word go. He got better with experience but he was fine all along.

Make your mind up, was he "excellent", "decent" or merely "fine"? As you say it's all about opinions, just because you say I'm wrong doesn't make it so but I won't lose sleep over it. 

On 06/10/2021 at 14:35, Skyline Drifter said:

Johnston's done alright without particularly excelling. He struggled with Zanatta at Raith, forcing Gibson to be switched back there at half time but otherwise he's been decent enough and dealt pretty well with Kai Kennedy on Saturday. His best outing was his first against Broomhill but they are hardly a comparable opponent I guess.

Captain Hindsight said this at the time.

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know what a "hydration test" is?

Don't feel too bad, I'm quite sure until about 3 or 4 weeks ago the Queens players didn't know what it was either. 

3 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know what a "hydration test" is?

Come on Biblemaster, you don't know what hydration testing is? ... Nope, neither did I, so naturally I Googled it ... see the link below:

https://www.scienceforsport.com/hydration-testing/

It's basically about maintaining a healthy body fluid balance.  Key for athletes who can lose a lot of fluid through sweating.  As one of our poster's said a couple of weeks ago, dehydration can also be due to high alcohol intake ... imagine a Scottish fitba' player having a post match drink, eh - doesn't sound plausible to me!

Of course, back in the 70's our "superstars" didn't need hydration testing ...

Edited by Otis Blue

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Yes last day of February Kelty must have signed those players and just did not announce till later.

I was more thinking that means we are stuck with McKenna for the rest of the season

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

As one of our poster's said a couple of weeks ago, dehydration can also be due to high alcohol intake ..

I did wonder if it had something to do with this? I tend to dip in and out of Pie & Boveril but I heard a rumour that some players aren't even waiting until post match for a drink.

I was thinking today what kind of players we would all want in our team next season. Do we go down the Falkirk and Dunfermline route sign some experience players like McGinn and blend it with proven players at this level. There will no doubt be a lot of players available for Bartley to think about signing. I look at players like Breen who we had on loan beside Benedictus and looks a far better player. 

To me we have to get a leader a good goalkeeper which is very hard to get a this level. Do you sign a young keeper like Hogarth at Alloa who has done very well or a young goalkeeper like we did with Brynn who has excelled. A vocal organised centre back as we do not have that and have been screaming out for a few years. We desperately need pace in our team as again something we have missed apart from the loan signing of Jones from Middlesbrough. Ageyman from Kelty is possibly someone who may be available he is not a finished player but puts the fear into sides because of his pace and one Bartley maybe think he could make better. Depending on how Bartley wants to play from the back will depend on what type of players he signs. Will he want to just defend and keep it tight and then let the players in front of that make thinks happen. It will be an interesting couple of months with Bartley to decide on the players he has and set things in motion for next season. Would love to see Dabrowski stay but feel he will get at least championship offers. Interested to hear what everyone thinks.

At the recent A.G.M. as forecast we lost over £200,000. for last season .

I was expecting to get close to  break even this season but even with the Rangers game we are still going to lose a six figure sum.

We have a  cash reserve just now to cover the losses but it will not last long especially with a new pitch to pay for next season .

We are staying full time for next season but with the crowds and income  we have  would it not be better to go back to part time football to try and stop the huge losses we have .

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

We are staying full time for next season but with the crowds and income  we have  would it not be better to go back to part time football to try and stop the huge losses we have .

It would be better to get a winning team on the pitch to replace the current dross and go for a bit of quality rather quantity.  A winning team will bring crowds back.

43 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

It would be better to get a winning team on the pitch to replace the current dross and go for a bit of quality rather quantity.  A winning team will bring crowds back.

Wullie said in the summer that he was going for quality rather than quantity. Clearly he got that the wrong way round. 

16 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Wullie said in the summer that he was going for quality rather than quantity. Clearly he got that the wrong way round. 

To be fair to him although he misled us regarding the quantity of signings he would be making, he never specified what kind of quality he had in mind. 

Turns out he must have been meaning exceptionally low quality.

12 hours ago, Greenacres said:

At the recent A.G.M. as forecast we lost over £200,000. for last season .

I was expecting to get close to  break even this season but even with the Rangers game we are still going to lose a six figure sum.

We have a  cash reserve just now to cover the losses but it will not last long especially with a new pitch to pay for next season .

I’d suggest you leave it to people who know what they’re talking about.

On 28/02/2023 at 13:40, Otis Blue said:

Someone mentioned Imrie at Morton as an example of a good coach improving a squad he inherited.  That's certainly true to some extent, but I'd suggest that what Imrie inherited was a step up in quality from what Bartley inherited ... can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that, etc etc.

This is relative though. The squad Imrie inherited at Morton in December 2021 was clearly better on paper than the squad Bartley has inherited at Queen of the South, but relative to the standard of divisions they're in there's no doubt that Bartley has less of a challenge.

Imrie inherited a side who were bottom of the league with just 13 points from 18 games, who had only won twice all season and had only 1 win in their previous 16 games. That's a considerably worse state than Queens were in in League One, but he won five of his first eight regardless.

I think it's extremely early to be making any kind of judgements on Bartley and he's always going to be charge next season no matter what happens, but I don't think it's true at all to say he's been dealt a more difficult hand than Imrie was, or that matter Willie Gibson last season. Coming in to have half a season with no expectation of promotion but also absolutely no prospect of relegation is something a lot of managers would love.

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is relative though. The squad Imrie inherited at Morton in December 2021 was clearly better on paper than the squad Bartley has inherited at Queen of the South, but relative to the standard of divisions they're in there's no doubt that Bartley has less of a challenge.

Imrie inherited a side who were bottom of the league with just 13 points from 18 games, who had only won twice all season and had only 1 win in their previous 16 games. That's a considerably worse state than Queens were in in League One, but he won five of his first eight regardless.

I think it's extremely early to be making any kind of judgements on Bartley and he's always going to be charge next season no matter what happens, but I don't think it's true at all to say he's been dealt a more difficult hand than Imrie was, or that matter Willie Gibson last season. Coming in to have half a season with no expectation of promotion but also absolutely no prospect of relegation is something a lot of managers would love.

You make good and valid points there @Dunning1874.

I'll give you that Imrie faced more of a challenge than Bartley has, given that Queens should already be fairly safe this season compared to the position Imrie found himself in. However, that wasn't the comparison I was trying to make.

I was trying to suggest (not very clearly) that Imrie inherited a squad that although performing poorly, did have reasonable quality and character capable of being improved by good coaching. Unfortunately, the squad Bartley has inherited is just sorely lacking in either and I'm not sure that even Imrie could have worked his magic on our mob.