The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is. But he's under 23.

His birthday is in August, does that mean he could just hold off signing for a club until then if he finds clubs don’t want to pay a fee for him? Or is a fee we would be due that small for that clubs will likely pay it?

Quitongo away on loan to Clyde for the remainder of the season. Probably a good move for him with the hope of gaining a contract there next season maybe. Can't see him getting another FT gig and doubt he'll have many offers at this level. 

He wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be tbh but he has some of the worst positional sense I can remember in defence for us. Takes some doing. Could never fault his effort though. Good luck to him. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

... If it's really such a tall order for a rookie, that would surely suggest that hiring one, or even two in a row, is foolish...

Major squad recruitment is hard to get right for even an experienced manager. For a newbie's recruitment to be completely successful in his first attempt will be a stretch. But I think you're right, he's not going to get the bullet if he doesn't win the league next season (I didn't mean to imply that) - as long as he reaches the playoffs he should be fine.

11 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

His birthday is in August, does that mean he could just hold off signing for a club until then if he finds clubs don’t want to pay a fee for him? Or is a fee we would be due that small for that clubs will likely pay it?

It's your age at end of contract so still 22. As long as the club offer him a contract I think it is a month before the end of the season then entitled to compensation. 

On 27/02/2023 at 19:06, Rjc-1988 said:

As soon as the Manager signs on the dotted line he assumes immediate responsibility for the playing side and more importantly the results. His immediate job is to try and improve all aspects of footballing performance which hopefully should translate into better results. 

I don't know that this is the case with Bartley. Looking at the way he's speaking, about getting players out on loan, changing the overall composition of the squad, assessing players' attitudes and releasing those who aren't ambitious enough, increasing fitness, instituting hydration tests, etc suggests his priority is creating institutional/cultural change rather than just trying to get  a quick fix to earn a few points in the league.

I'm not convinced the changes he is making could ever lead to the kind of "new manager bounce" we're accustomed to seeing. However, I do think they're more likely to lead to longer term rejuvenation than just coming in, tightening up the defense, making us hard to play against, and all those old cliches. 

After years of decline and apparent disinterest from the board, I'm excited by the "revolutionary" approach Marvin is taking. I'm also not surprised to see various of the non-conforming players' friends and relatives apparently coming on here to moan. I'm quite willing to accept that results won't immediately improve, given the scale and nature of the changes he's trying to make. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

Whoda thunk that the same Max Johnston that started on loan with us would be getting interest shown from a Serie A club. Tbf he did improve during his time here, hitting a good bit of form, and really becoming a mainstay in the team before sustaining an injury on international duty which effectively ended his season. He's got into the Motherwell team after what appears to have been a good loan spell at Cove. I suppose a bit like Dykes you should never be too quick to criticise young  players, they'll sometimes have the last laugh and  prove all us know-all critics wrong. Good luck to Max if the move comes off anyway. 

13 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I don't know that this is the case with Bartley. Looking at the way he's speaking, about getting players out on loan, changing the overall composition of the squad, assessing players' attitudes and releasing those who aren't ambitious enough, increasing fitness, instituting hydration tests, etc suggests his priority is creating institutional/cultural change rather than just trying to get  a quick fix to earn a few points in the league.

I'm not convinced the changes he is making could ever lead to the kind of "new manager bounce" we're accustomed to seeing. However, I do think they're more likely to lead to longer term rejuvenation than just coming in, tightening up the defense, making us hard to play against, and all those old cliches. 

After years of decline and apparent disinterest from the board, I'm excited by the "revolutionary" approach Marvin is taking. I'm also not surprised to see various of the non-conforming players' friends and relatives apparently coming on here to moan. I'm quite willing to accept that results won't immediately improve, given the scale and nature of the changes he's trying to make. 

^^^ Good post. 👌

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Whoda thunk that the same Max Johnston that started on loan with us would be getting interest shown from a Serie A club. Tbf he did improve during his time here, hitting a good bit of form, and really becoming a mainstay in the team before sustaining an injury on international duty which effectively ended his season. He's got into the Motherwell team after what appears to have been a good loan spell at Cove. I suppose a bit like Dykes you should never be too quick to criticise young  players, they'll sometimes have the last laugh and  prove all us know-all critics wrong. Good luck to Max if the move comes off anyway. 

Very true, and yes he did start to look the part towards the end of his time with Queens.

Bologna certainly seem to have cottoned on to the fact that there are some decent young players coming through in Scotland - their scouts seem able to spot the latent talent waiting to be developed and then sold on at profit (Aaron Hickey being an example and now they are interested in Johnston).

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Very true, and yes he did start to look the part towards the end of his time with Queens.

Bologna certainly seem to have cottoned on to the fact that there are some decent young players coming through in Scotland - their scouts seem able to spot the latent talent waiting to be developed and then sold on at profit (Aaron Hickey being an example and now they are interested in Johnston).

I know I've said this before but I really don't know what anyone who thought Max Johnston wasn't excellent from the word go was looking at. For a 17 / 18 year old he was outstanding. I was very quickly convinced he would be a future international if he avoided serious injury (Jamie Adams never made it after I said the same about him).  I do wonder if we might have got a vital point or two more if he hadn't missed the last 6 weeks or so injured last season. Might have made all the difference.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know I've said this before but I really don't know what anyone who thought Max Johnston wasn't excellent from the word go was looking at. For a 17 / 18 year old he was outstanding. I was very quickly convinced he would be a future international if he avoided serious injury (Jamie Adams never made it after I said the same about him).  I do wonder if we might have got a vital point or two more if he hadn't missed the last 6 weeks or so injured last season. Might have made all the difference.

I think you maybe have partial amnesia or selective memory or are easily pleased if you think Max Johnston was anything but poor in his first half dozen (or more) games here. I thought at the time it was poor managership/parenting to subject a young player to the criticism he got then, yet he seemed undroppable. Fair do's to the lad though, he certainly became a key part of the team, and his attitude seemed ok when his father left. We certainly missed him when he was out injured, but let's not rewrite history by claiming his early showings were widely viewed as anything but meh. (to be kind). 

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Max Johnston started to look like a very good player after his dad left, ironically. 

I'm sure I made the point on here after Max had featured in quite a few games, it's highly unlikely that any other 17/18 year old would have got the same game time as he did if they'd put in similar performances. Even if I'm being harsh and he wasn't as bad as I thought at the time, I think SD's "excellent" rating is overstating it quite a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Is there a cash gate on Saturday for us away fans? No idea how the game will go and it looks a lot colder weather than that Costa Del Palmerston at the start of the season.  Cheers 

No cash at turnstiles anymore. Easiest way is to buy your ticket online (the website will post a link nearer the time) and show the QR code. Or you can go to the arena pre-match and buy a paper ticket. 

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No cash at turnstiles anymore. Easiest way is to buy your ticket online (the website will post a link nearer the time) and show the QR code. Or you can go to the arena pre-match and buy a paper ticket. 

Thanks for information. I am an expert at online purchase but I do hanker for the old cash gate for last hour punters. Cheers 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure I made the point on here after Max had featured in quite a few games, it's highly unlikely that any other 17/18 year old would have got the same game time as he did if they'd put in similar performances. Even if I'm being harsh and he wasn't as bad as I thought at the time, I think SD's "excellent" rating is overstating it quite a bit. 

Yeah and when you made it I'm pretty sure I said you were wrong then too. You have your opinion, I have mine. Max was decent from the word go. He got better with experience but he was fine all along.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah and when you made it I'm pretty sure I said you were wrong then too. You have your opinion, I have mine. Max was decent from the word go. He got better with experience but he was fine all along.

A bit of selective memory from SD here.

I particularly recall one of Max's early games at Starks Park where Zanatta repeatedly tore him a new one and we ended up firstly having to double-up on Zanatta with Wullie as a "second" right-back, before Max was moved to the left side and eventually hooked.

I thought he looked out of his depth in his first half dozen or so games and it took until his short spell midfield before he started to look like a player.  After he reverted to right back he was fine though.

11 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

A bit of selective memory from SD here.

I particularly recall one of Max's early games at Starks Park where Zanatta repeatedly tore him a new one and we ended up firstly having to double-up on Zanatta with Wullie as a "second" right-back, before Max was moved to the left side and eventually hooked.

I thought he looked out of his depth in his first half dozen or so games and it took until his short spell midfield before he started to look like a player.  After he reverted to right back he was fine though.

I remember this game well. He was panting out his arse leaning against the post when they had a corner, he should have been hooked about 20 minutes earlier