The Queen of the South thread

On 22/02/2023 at 17:28, FFC 1876 said:

Which is great for fans to hear especially when you've been so guff this season but it's political suicide in the dressing room in this day in age when players find out online everything that was said.

Just look how our season ended after the calamitous AGM that was recorded.

What season was that?

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

More juicy gossip, do tell. 

Just necking beer outside the clubhouse after the game. Not exactly a sackable offence but again not the most professional of actions IMO. I don't know if Qos99 has heard anything else of course. 

1 minute ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Hi, is there anywhere to park a car in the toun centre that doesn't involve competing with tractors for a space?

Thanks in advance. 

Just avoid the bypass, that's where all the fuckers drive. Plenty of free parking next to the ground and in the town centre. We don't have traffic wardens either so just do what a lot of arseholes do and park wherever you like! 

10 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Obviously wish Gavin all the best for the rest of the season. Hope he bangs in a hat full of goals and comes back for next season all the better.

Sadly I think the pretty rapid decline through the divisions is most indicative of a wider issue. Premiership to League Two in 18 months is never a good sign. 

I can't say at all if it's attitude affected but I do think loss of pace compared to early years is a likely factor. 

70% of his total career goals came during first spell with us and the one great season with St Mirren in 17/18. He's averaged just 4 goals a season in the 5 years since then.

Most disappointing is I think the perception that I had which was we are getting a Championship quality striker for League One. I hope Stenny fans don't get the same hopes/expectations dashed as well.

FWIW...

illy.thumb.png.5af798fb44433fb230c5ef29c74a60aa.png

Gold is good for League One, grey is average, red is bad.

Hes been operating as an average League One striker since his spell at Carlisle, with decreasing amount of goal threat and possession play beside it. Working hard defensively had masked that it looks like, but now its dropped off a cliff too then theres not much left.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW...

illy.thumb.png.5af798fb44433fb230c5ef29c74a60aa.png

Gold is good for League One, grey is average, red is bad.

Hes been operating as an average League One striker since his spell at Carlisle, with decreasing amount of goal threat and possession play beside it. Working hard defensively had masked that it looks like, but now its dropped off a cliff too then theres not much left.

Pretty much proves what we have all seen this season. Legs have gone, contributed next to nothing and questionable attitude. I think he will be away in the summer. Another disastrous Gibson signing. I hope Connolly gets up to match fitness soon as we are really short of goalscorers. 5 hours in the car today to get to and from the game. Hey Ho. 

Ahead of the game, Marvin Bartley said “Since our last home game we have had mixed performances. I was proud of the players and gave them much deserved plaudits for the cup tie against Hamilton. They put in a lot of hard work and great play in against a team above us and just fell short of reaching the final.

However, for all the praise they got against Accies, I was lost for words with parts of the performance against Kelty Hearts and the error laden goals. Although we created chances, we failed to take them again, that is something that will be addressed. It was a major step back against a part time team who out fought and out worked us at times. Something that I will not accept or tolerate as the Manager of the club and the players know that.

Against, Dunfermline it’s important we put back in the efforts I saw pre Kelty game because that is the minimal standard accepted when wearing this famous shirt.

Coming up against the league leaders we know that we will have to be at our best against a team who sit top of the tree, this is where we aim to be in time so it’s a test we’re very much looking forward to”.

By the way for all the fans that criticised Mr B being too unkind to our poor little lambs I think that this is a pretty eloquent, balanced and fair piece. I hope they get their fingers out this week and get back looking interested, tackling and winning second balls like they did at Hamilton instead of crumpling like a cheap suit as they did last week. Our fans are very loyal, give up time and money to watch them and at least deserve effort every week. 

24 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Ahead of the game, Marvin Bartley said “Since our last home game we have had mixed performances. I was proud of the players and gave them much deserved plaudits for the cup tie against Hamilton. They put in a lot of hard work and great play in against a team above us and just fell short of reaching the final.

However, for all the praise they got against Accies, I was lost for words with parts of the performance against Kelty Hearts and the error laden goals. Although we created chances, we failed to take them again, that is something that will be addressed. It was a major step back against a part time team who out fought and out worked us at times. Something that I will not accept or tolerate as the Manager of the club and the players know that.

Against, Dunfermline it’s important we put back in the efforts I saw pre Kelty game because that is the minimal standard accepted when wearing this famous shirt.

Coming up against the league leaders we know that we will have to be at our best against a team who sit top of the tree, this is where we aim to be in time so it’s a test we’re very much looking forward to”.

By the way for all the fans that criticised Mr B being too unkind to our poor little lambs I think that this is a pretty eloquent, balanced and fair piece. I hope they get their fingers out this week and get back looking interested, tackling and winning second balls like they did at Hamilton instead of crumpling like a cheap suit as they did last week. Our fans are very loyal, give up time and money to watch them and at least deserve effort every week. 

Re your last sentence, I don't really think lack of effort is our main problem, although in some it might look like it, I would say lack of ability in some is the real problem. As for fans being loyal, our core home support, not counting visiting fans, has probably dropped by about 50% over the past 3 or 4 seasons, not surprising really given our struggles on the park, but we're really no more loyal than any other fans whose club is going through hard times on the park not to mention many people going through hard times financially. 

I admire your dedication though travelling so far for "home" games, do you manage to make it to many down here in a season? 

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is our shirt really that famous though Marvin?

His media training coming to the forefront as he knows all the right things to say. We are all giving him until he gets his own players but he will realise how difficult that is to spend our budget as I would imagine the quality he will be wanting will want decent money or he has to buy players like Brydon who he hopes he can improve with coaching. He will know you need of youth and experience to be successful. Hard summer ahead but final 11 games will give him an idea what is required to be successful in this league as we will play all team that we will possibly face next year. 

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Hard summer ahead but final 11 games will give him an idea what is required to be successful in this league as we will play all team that we will possibly face next year. 

Surely we'll not play the teams that will join this division from above and below?