The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

League Cup tie which finished 2-2. Just over a decade before my time though so can't say what we'd have worn. Black and white hoops seem unlikely though. I'd have thought in the 70's we'd have been generally blue home and white away. Somebody with personal experience older than mine may recall differently though. .......

This seems right. We did for one season in the early 70s have a very cool black and amber change strip. Normally change was all white at that time

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

This seems right. We did for one season in the early 70s have a very cool black and amber change strip. Normally change was all white at that time

So this is round about when I started going to games.  So far so good but my memory is demonstrably shit now.  The white change strip (maybe with black shorts) seems to ring a bell.  Something tells me we also used a yellow top with blue shorts around that time ... but don't trust my "powers" of recall.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Sorry but he has been woeful this year. Not one good game, hardly any goals and in the face of it doesn’t look interested. I’m with Marv on this. I think he has treated the club with contempt considering we gave him the security of a 2 year contract

Not been at his best but his 5 goals are better than Ruth & Irving’s one 🤣 Anyway he’s away on loan to Stenny. Good luck to the lad 

3 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

He's not been good for years. Marv joined us and very quickly he's out the door.

Hmm, this is what I expected. But who knows! We really need someone that can hold up the ball in the final third and maybe Gavin Reilly could be our man!

24 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Not been at his best but his 5 goals are better than Ruth & Irving’s one 🤣 Anyway he’s away on loan to Stenny. Good luck to the lad 

I don't think Ruth or Irving are the answer but it's hardly a fair comparison regardless. The League appearances below. 

Reilly 17 (2) 

Ruth 3 (14)

Irving 1 (4) 

Reilly was great when he came through and will be remembered for that time but the reality is he really hasn't kicked on since then. He's a player who relied on his pace and now that's fading he hasn't adapted his style a la Derek Lyle. I'm afraid League 1/2 is likely his level now. There isn't a strong argument for wanting to keep him tbh. He's not been scoring and his attitude appears to be stinking. I'd imagine his release will be negotiated next season as he doesn't appear to want to fight for his place here. 

Good luck to him at Stenny. 

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hmm, this is what I expected. But who knows! We really need someone that can hold up the ball in the final third and maybe Gavin Reilly could be our man!

He was good for us last season in the championship once he got his first goal. He was the championship player of the month in January 2022. 

Up until he got his fitness going and that first goal he was pretty useless but once he was up to speed he was an extremely valuable member of our starting 11 and most Morton fans would have been more than happy for him to stay at us. 

Edited by port-ton

53 minutes ago, port-ton said:

He was good for us last season in the championship once he got his first goal. He was the championship player of the month in January 2022. 

Up until he got his fitness going and that first goal he was pretty useless but once he was up to speed he was an extremely valuable member of our starting 11 and most Morton fans would have been more than happy for him to stay at us. 

Yes that was my recall from his time at Morton. Sadly that just increases the level of disappointment around his displays this season. He's been really poor.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Reilly has never really been a player who holds up the ball, I'm sorry to say.  His biggest asset was always his pace and his ability to tuck away chances.  Unfortunately whether through age or having had a career plagued with injury his pace has gone, and the goals he's scored this season have all been from the 1-2 yard range as far as I can recall.  He just looks done.

52 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Reilly has never really been a player who holds up the ball, I'm sorry to say.  His biggest asset was always his pace and his ability to tuck away chances.  Unfortunately whether through age or having had a career plagued with injury his pace has gone, and the goals he's scored this season have all been from the 1-2 yard range as far as I can recall.  He just looks done.

His industry was also a huge part of his game when young.

His work rate moved us up the field as a team.  It wasn't the mindless running about a lot, that a few front players have treated us to, down the years either.

I loved him first time round for us and there's no doubt that he's not been great this season.  I don't buy the 'stinking attitude' line delivered earlier though, and I still think he can offer more than some of our other forwards.  

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I loved him first time round for us and there's no doubt that he's not been great this season.  I don't buy the 'stinking attitude' line delivered earlier though, and I still think he can offer more than some of our other forwards.  

If you were at the reserve game I can assure you you'd share the same view. I've since heard other things that confirm my suspicions. I think his attitude more than his ability is the reason Bartley doesn't fancy him tbh. 

57 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you were at the reserve game I can assure you you'd share the same view. I've since heard other things that confirm my suspicions. I think his attitude more than his ability is the reason Bartley doesn't fancy him tbh. 

I can guarantee his attitude will not be stinking. May have been poor so far in his current spell but he will be one of the best trainers and a good influence on younger players who I know look up to him, having spoken to them. Probably the player in the best nick as well

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

45 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I can guarantee his attitude will not be stinking. May have been poor so far in his current spell but he will be one of the best trainers and a good influence on younger players who I know look up to him, having spoken to them. Probably the player in the best nick as well

No idea if rumours about Reilly's attitude are true or not but I'll put another one out there. He picked up an injury in pre_season which curtailed his training, he let himself go a bit physically which delayed him restarting training/playing and was allegedly told by WG to get himself back into better shape before coming to Club training, so his early season preparation didn't go well. I think the problem with signing ex players who had been good in their previous spell is you kind of expect to get the same player back, forgetting the decade or so in between. He was well liked by Morton fans last season but just hasn't managed to hit it off this season after picking up that early injury which is disappointing for all parties involved. 

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

If a good influence to young players is taking very little to do with them at half time, instead choosing to kick a ball off a wall like a Sunday league player and talk to a guy behind the goal rather than take them for a decent half time session then I dread to think what a bad influence is.  If you've spoken to the young lads then you'll know the reason he never started against Motherwell as well. Again, hardly screams of someone determined to play as much as he can...

His latest comment in regards to the reserves doesn't exactly scream good influence either. 

Reilly hasn't been great this season but he hasn't been absolutely terrible either. I can't imagine he's been isolated due to his ability alone. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Obviously wish Gavin all the best for the rest of the season. Hope he bangs in a hat full of goals and comes back for next season all the better.

Sadly I think the pretty rapid decline through the divisions is most indicative of a wider issue. Premiership to League Two in 18 months is never a good sign. 

I can't say at all if it's attitude affected but I do think loss of pace compared to early years is a likely factor. 

70% of his total career goals came during first spell with us and the one great season with St Mirren in 17/18. He's averaged just 4 goals a season in the 5 years since then.

Most disappointing is I think the perception that I had which was we are getting a Championship quality striker for League One. I hope Stenny fans don't get the same hopes/expectations dashed as well.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If a good influence to young players is taking very little to do with them at half time, instead choosing to kick a ball off a wall like a Sunday league player and talk to a guy behind the goal rather than take them for a decent half time session then I dread to think what a bad influence is.  If you've spoken to the young lads then you'll know the reason he never started against Motherwell as well. Again, hardly screams of someone determined to play as much as he can...

His latest comment in regards to the reserves doesn't exactly scream good influence either. 

Reilly hasn't been great this season but he hasn't been absolutely terrible either. I can't imagine he's been isolated due to his ability alone. 

I can completely believe this. He kept himself isolated in his warm up at half time in the Hamilton game and didn’t really seem to be speaking to any of the other subs.

6 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Daniel talking absolute dog turd as per usual.