The Queen of the South thread

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We don't have a pitch fund of £160,000, you've misunderstood the meaning of a provision in the accounts. In cash terms there's no "fund". It will cost £300k or so. There will be some grant funding though.

Connelly has been injured and isn't properly fit yet. Wilson is just back from a month out injured and came on as a sub for first team on Saturday but needs games.

Quitongo, like McKenna and Reilly has been told he can leave so yes, they are out of the picture.

Ruth didn't get on the pitch on Saturday so was used today. I think most who were on the bench on Saturday played today.

Wilson and Reilly have two year contracts. None of the others you mention do.

Could you kindly explain what the £20,000 a season is that comes off the accounts every year for the pitch is please   ?? 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's very media savvy though. He's been doing tv for years, he's been doing post match stuff for Livingston too. And he repeated pretty much every word of it at the AGM on Monday night too. He knew exactly what he was saying and did so deliberately. If the suggestion here was that if he'd had more time he'd have been less critical then I don't think it holds any water.

For what it's worth I don't think what he said was all that bad anyway. He said it wasn't good enough for the standard he sets. It was hardly John Hughes at St Mirren levels.

Mr Bartley is a complete hypocrite for working for several television and satellite channels away from his day job but won’t let certain squad members earn a extra penny or two in their spare time 😏🤨

To be honest I think he's done ok for us. Manager's looked at the squad and decided he's not needed but other than a daft red card against Montrose for retaliation he's not done an awful lot obviously wrong. I'd say he's been a 6 or 7 out of 10 most weeks he played, which was mostly early season. Stephen Hendrie's better probably which is why he's not getting a game, but Stephen Hendrie's also had a couple of absolutely horrible games (Alloa and Falkirk away) whereas I couldn't specifically point at one for Rico.

I thought I was maybe a lone voice about Quitongo, I don't think he's really been dreadful for us and would have persevered with him as a squad player. He looks OK if he's got space to go forward, more pace than Hendrie, but obviously suspect defensively. Hendrie has had a few shaky games I agree, I wasn't at Falkirk so can't comment, but as you say he was poor at Alloa and the away game against Clyde sticks in my mind where he was hooked early in the second half. Not sure if he was carrying an injury but he gave the impression of not really pushing himself and he deserved the subbing. 

I think going by Bartley's comments on the interview and the outing the players for poor professionalism at the AGM. We can say he will not be looking to keep any of the out of contract players and the ones who are contracted need to buck their ideas if they do not up things. Reilly has found that out already, 

McKay has had a really poor season although since Bartley has come in he has played slightly better. Wilson is a cracking player but his injury record is really poor. Lewis is the only one who has played well this year at times. 

Brydon is a Bartley signing whether we sign Logan if he impresses only time will tell. That is the type of player he says he wants young and hungry that can improve and he can improve and possibly make some money for the club.

Was thinking Cochrane, East, Ruth, McKechnie are all under 23 as well as all the young boys and the club would be due a fee if we offer them a contract. So do we offer say the first 3 a contract even if Bartley does not want them to possibly get a development fee for the club. To be honest I think Bartley would just let them go and start afresh.

Edited by Manwithnoball

34 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Genuinely can't think of a player who I've seen play for Airdrie who has had a worse positional sense. He was always on the wrong side of his man. His pace bailed him out a few times, but when balls were played across the goal he had no clue where his man was. He's not terrible on the ball, but offers next to nothing on it.

Only saw him for 45 minutes this season in the game at Palmerston where he was subbed at half-time after virtually every attack in a dominant half came down his side.

He was comfortably the worst of Murray's signings last year and like you I was surprised another full-time side took him on. The off the field stuff must have have had an effect last season so it's maybe fair that WG thought that a new start would do him good. On the other hand he'd already played 9 games before the QP match and my opinion at that point was exactly as it is now, that being that he's not really good enough at this level.

Couldn't agree more regarding his positional sense, opposition wingers would have all the time in the world because he was either too far up the pitch or too near his central backs and left a yawning gap down (our) left.  

That said, he did carry a good attacking threat and has a decent cross in him.  As SD says, despite his flaws he was pretty consistent if slightly limited, and I would actually he got the nod over Hendrie who started reasonably well but has gone downhill as the season progressed in my opinion.

One thing which goes against Quitongo is that he is a booking waiting to happen.  5 yellows and a red in his last 10 appearances says it all.

43 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Genuinely can't think of a player who I've seen play for Airdrie who has had a worse positional sense. He was always on the wrong side of his man. His pace bailed him out a few times, but when balls were played across the goal he had no clue where his man was. He's not terrible on the ball, but offers next to nothing on it.

Only saw him for 45 minutes this season in the game at Palmerston where he was subbed at half-time after virtually every attack in a dominant half came down his side.

I'd forgotten about the home game v Airdrie to be fair. He did have a nightmare first half that day (the whole team pretty much did). I'm not convinced that wasn't related to who the opposition were though!

12 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Could you kindly explain what the £20,000 a season is that comes off the accounts every year for the pitch is please   ?? 

It's a provision for future replacement. A charge in the accounts acknowledging the future liability to replace it, which was required as part of the Council's original funding. It's not a cash movement and the money isn't ferreted away in a separate bank account like Greenacres appears to be suggesting.

7 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Mr Bartley is a complete hypocrite for working for several television and satellite channels away from his day job but won’t let certain squad members earn a extra penny or two in their spare time 😏🤨

Mr Bartley isn't playing at the weekends.

6 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I think going by Bartley's comments on the interview and the outing the players for poor professionalism at the AGM. We can say he will not be looking to keep any of the out of contract players and the ones who are contracted need to buck their ideas if they do not up things. Reilly has found that out already,

That's a pretty wild take. He also said the same players were magnificant in defeat at Hamilton. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money he's not looking to bin every single out of contract player!

And Lee Connelly isn't under 23.

9 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I see Reilly wasn't even involved with the reserves yesterday and only got an hour with what was basically a youth team at Nithsdale on Saturday.  It's unusual for a club the size of ours to see a player go from being an automatic starter to being frozen out completely in such a short timeframe, new manager or not.  Despite him having another 15 months or so to run on his contract I can't see him ever being near the first team again.  Surely he would want to take whatever opportunity comes his way and get the hell out of Dodge?

6 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Don't know the basis or truth behind this statement but it would surely depend on what job the players were wanting to do and if it's detrimental to the club. Anything that carries an injury risk is obviously not in the clubs interest. Equating a Manager's extra curricular activities to that of players is not really the same anyway. Bartley's media work was well established when he was appointed. 

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We don't have a pitch fund of £160,000, you've misunderstood the meaning of a provision in the accounts. In cash terms there's no "fund". It will cost £300k or so. There will be some grant funding though.

Connelly has been injured and isn't properly fit yet. Wilson is just back from a month out injured and came on as a sub for first team on Saturday but needs games.

Quitongo, like McKenna and Reilly has been told he can leave so yes, they are out of the picture.

Ruth didn't get on the pitch on Saturday so was used today. I think most who were on the bench on Saturday played today.

Wilson and Reilly have two year contracts. None of the others you mention do.

Wish i has asked this at the A.G.M. but what is the £20,000 taken out the accounts every season for it says pitch renewal .

It's a provision for future replacement. A charge in the accounts acknowledging the future liability to replace it, which was required as part of the Council's original funding. It's not a cash movement and the money isn't ferreted away in a separate bank account like Greenacres appears to be suggesting.

4 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Wish i has asked this at the A.G.M. but what is the £20,000 taken out the accounts every season for it says pitch renewal .

🙄

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, fair point re his media experience.  I don't know why some think he was so over the top - he called it as he saw it.

Which is great for fans to hear especially when you've been so guff this season but it's political suicide in the dressing room in this day in age when players find out online everything that was said.

Just look how our season ended after the calamitous AGM that was recorded.

Edited by FFC 1876

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok.  It's just that the post you answered was mine, rendering the whole "pot, kettle..." thing a strange response.

You know what ... I couldn't be bothered searching back and stringing all the relevant posts together in a multi quote... I'm too lazy for that.

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Which is great for fans to hear especially when you've been so guff this season but it's political suicide in the dressing room in this day in age when players find out online everything that was said.

Just look how our season ended after the calamitous AGM that was recorded.

Well, time will tell.

As has been pointed out by some of the responders on this topic, few of these players are likely to be here next season anyway ... and this is Bartley's decision to make.

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Corrected. Just don't think club will offer contracts for under 23s. A game of opinions. None of them have had a good season. Cochrane has had 4 passable games.

You kidding?

Cochrane when fit has been good. The problem with him is he is always injured and has never had a consistent run of say 6/7 starts in a row. I’d also say he isn’t fit enough as well and that’s why he barely seems to play 90 minutes.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is exactly what I see. He's not terrible but his positional sense is absolutely shocking for this level. I've lost count the number of times he had no clue where his man was. His pace gets him out of trouble a lot but for me I'd be looking for a player who doesn't have to cover his arse constantly and instead just does the basics right. 

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I'd be happy to see most of them f**k off completely which would sort out that problem. 

And we thought footballers were precious. The state of some folk after Bartley's interview :lol: He's not said anything remotely confrontational in that interview and if it offends them then they aren't the kind of players I want here. We've been too soft for too long. Hopefully we bring in folk who know exactly what's expected of them next season and try hard as a result. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

And we thought footballers were precious. The state of some folk after Bartley's interview :lol: He's not said anything remotely confrontational in that interview and if it offends them then they aren't the kind of players I want here. We've been too soft for too long. Hopefully we bring in folk who know exactly what's expected of them next season and try hard as a result. 

Agree with this.  Some of the reaction to Mr Bartley's post match comments has been a bit over the top.  I get that it might not be the done thing, and can understand where some of the criticism is coming from.  I for one however, find it a refreshing change from the "nothing between the teams/individual errors" stuff we have been largely used to.  There is a time and a place for critical interviews, and last Saturday was definitely the time and the place.  Like you I don't want players whose fragile ego is bruised by this playing in our team.  

Wherever we may stand on this as individuals I challenge anyone who endured last Saturdays 2nd half in the flesh to remain impassive.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've been too soft for too long.  

Still not sure what this confident and often seen assertion is based on.

If it's simply that we've been pish for so long, then you'd think we'd have put it right sooner when the solution is so obvious and straightforward.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Still not sure what this confident and often seen assertion is based on.

If it's simply that we've been pish for so long, then you'd think we'd have put it right sooner when the solution is so obvious and straightforward.

It's probably based on watching our powder puff defenders, and some midfielders, being easily bullied in games. The solution isn't straightforward unfortunately, if you've got players who are too lightweight and easily edged off the ball or players who don't/can't tackle with conviction there's not a lot can be done quickly to change that, it probably can't be coached into them, other than bring in players, which isn't easy outside transfer windows. WG was lumbered with the players he signed who were/are not up to mixing it in a physical tussle. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs