The Queen of the South thread

17 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Oh this is going to be good!  Where's my popcorn?

You can put your popcorn away but I've definitely seen him playing wingback for the Reserves last year. The notion that it's something alien to him is exaggerated. I can't really comment on his earlier youth career, and never claimed I could.

32 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I must have missed Marvin saying 5 could leave too, but if the 3 we know about has since become 5 I'd think there's a high probability that Dave McKay is one of the 2 who haven't been named.  If I was to hazard a guess I would go with Morrison being the fifth.

He never said 5 could leave. I think he at one point said the squad was about five bodies too big which isn't quite the same thing. He's only told the three they can leave as far as I know.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As has been said, the players seem to have had an easy time under Wullie Gibson, a few home truths about their ability and application or lack of, is long overdue. 

What are we basing the assumption that Wullie gave them too easy a time on?

If it's shit performances, there's a flaw in lauding Saturday's managerial approach.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hopefully it'll attract players who buy into his way of working and who aren't afraid of hard work themselves. Like all jobs if you do it right and do what's expected, you won't face undeserved criticism. As has been said, the players seem to have had an easy time under Wullie Gibson, a few home truths about their ability and application or lack of, is long overdue. 

Seemed to? Again, what a manager is saying in his post match interview, and what they're saying behind closed doors and on the training ground can be two completely different things. 

If your manager at work came out and lambasted how poor his employees were at there job would you be chuffed? Would you want to work for that manager? (and that includes moving there). I don't think there's ever been a successful case of "Manager lampoon's players-everything goes swimmingly". It is just pure fan appeasement pish. 

34 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think there's ever been a successful case of "Manager lampoon's players-everything goes swimmingly". It is just pure fan appeasement pish. 

... well how about a certain Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson absolutely ripping his Aberdeen side to bits in a post-match TV interview after winning the Scottish Cup against one of the ugly sisters (think it was the Govan crowd) ... even the interviewer was cowering behind his microphone.

Seriously though, I get your point and used to manage groups of people myself and it wasn't my approach to team building.  That said, you'll know from your time on P&B that Queens fans are a fairly reserved lot and we generally don't go in for great scenes of wailing and gnashing of teeth when things go wrong.  But we've had several seasons of decline now and the last two have seen bloody miserable fare on the pitch.  Through this we've witnessed loads of post-match manager interviews making all sorts of excuses along the way including how they've read the riot act behind closed doors.  Now we get Bartley saying post-match what the fans are thinking themselves and it seems like a breath of fresh air.  If it pisses these players off, then the stage we are at ... I honestly don't think the fans are bothered.

Over the years on P&B I've read the exasperated views of Pars, Bairns and Dee fans (amongst others) lambasting the performance of their sides and wanting to hear their managers publicly calling out lack of commitment by the players.  When everything in the garden is rosy and you're sitting clear at the top of the table its easy to appear to be calm and objective about these things ... where Queens are at the moment, there's no sympathy for the players left.  If we didn't have rank Clyde and Peterhead sides in this league then we'd be in deep shit, no question.  Time for frank talking.

Certainly while I was younger I might have enjoyed a manager going in on some loser players, however with age and experience I realised its just a nonsense. The vast majority of post match interviews are, and from what I've seen there's a far higher chance of a manager saying something bad, than good. I'd be quite content for them to be binned. 

My big worry with appointing John Hughes was him doing another St Mirren esque post match interview if things were going bad and just nuking our chances. It just doesn't do any good and I can't understand any football fan of a decent age, and having watched a decent amount of football thinking it's a good thing. Surely no one watches that John Hughes interview, or that Billy Brown interview and goes "Aye, that'll do the trick!". 

51 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If your manager at work came out and lambasted how poor his employees were at there job would you be chuffed? 

Probably not, but then I don't have a job where people pay good money to come and watch me or my colleagues working.

Bartley hasn't been slow to praise the players in his interviews after the previous three matches and deservedly so.  A contrasting performance deserves a contrasting interview.  

To be honest it's refreshing to hear and see a manager show his disgust after having had to put up with Johnston's repetitive "difficult place to come to" / "individual errors" / "we have to defend better" robot routine after every match, or Gibson saying one thing ("I want to work with a small squad" / "Players who underperform will be dropped") and doing the opposite.  I'm sure he tore into them in the dressing room so why hide it when speaking to an in-house reporter?   If players' egos are so fragile that they are unable to accept criticism when they put in a shocker they really shouldn't be playing in the professional game.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that most managers share your view on binning post-match interviews:

Sorry just dont agree Grant228. We have nothing to lose and we will non most of these losers in the summer. Once he has his own players in I’m sure we will have a lighter touch. You aren’t there on Saturday to watch that shower. He was right to apologise to the fans that travelled and call out the performance. Most people forget he praised the same players to the hilt when they narrowly lost to Hamilton the week before. I like this Alex Ferguson approach as opposed to tge WG they are my boys gig which did nothing

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Probably not, but then I don't have a job where people pay good money to come and watch me or my colleagues working.

Bartley hasn't been slow to praise the players in his interviews after the previous three matches and deservedly so.  A contrasting performance deserves a contrasting interview.  

To be honest it's refreshing to hear and see a manager show his disgust after having had to put up with Johnston's repetitive "difficult place to come to" / "individual errors" / "we have to defend better" robot routine after every match, or Gibson saying one thing ("I want to work with a small squad" / "Players who underperform will be dropped") and doing the opposite.  I'm sure he tore into them in the dressing room so why hide it when speaking to an in-house reporter?   If players' egos are so fragile that they are unable to accept criticism when they put in a shocker they really shouldn't be playing in the professional game.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that most managers share your view on binning post-match interviews:

Not knowing what you work as, I'd hazard a guess that there's some aspect of your job where someone cares about your output, which is why you'll be paid a wage. Now it may not be in the public but someone, somewhere probably wants you to do that job well, would it be acceptable for them to out you if you done poorly? Would it make you perform better? 

I'm really not sure it's an ego thing to say players can't accept criticism, but like all lines of work, and in life really there's a time and a place. To become a professional footballer they'll have had loads of critique over the years on the training ground. However who would react better to it being public? 

I'm not sure where the logic comes from that professional lower league Scottish footballers on 3-400 quid a week shouldn't so much as become immune to the abuse they receive from the stands and there own manager, but instead become better from it? It defies all logic. 

And while I may not have watched your games, was it beyond all hole and expectation that Bartley might have gotten a tune out of these players? Would it be acceptable for a player to come out and say "His trainings pish, there's no preparation and his team talks are gash"? 

Grant 228. If you followed us properly you would see that the manager has praised the players in the last 3 games and what he is doing this time is quite rightly saying the players should have done better. Not unreasonable when the poor darlings are being paid for this. I have run large corporate teams and it’s always a matter of encouragement , training and honest conversations otherwise how can you have improvement. I’m solidly behind Marvin in this and am sure we will get better and more motivated players next season

25 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Any q and a with the new manager? If so what

Spoke well without giving away any massive secrets. Thinks squad he inherited is imbalanced, with not enough wingers for instance. Too reliant on Ruari for goalscoring. Saturday was lost due to a crazy 15 mins or so but the performance wasn't good enough regardless and won't be accepted. There's a right way to lose, giving everything like at Hamilton, and an unacceptable way like at Kelty.

Working on fitness, checking what players are up to away from club too, 60% of them failed a hydration test on Monday. There is talent in the squad but some of them need educated how to give themselves the best chance in the game.

Lee Connelly not fit enough yet since returning to training but will be involved for Reserves today v Livingston.

Biggest managerial influences: Eddie Howe who he speaks to several times a week, Sean Dyche, Paul Heckingbottom.

Pathway available for young players to 1st team if they seize it. Not bothered about reputations or what players have done in the past, or may do in the future, only interested in what they can do now. Sorry he hasn't been able to get Dom McMahon on the pitch yet in 1st team. Had planned to at Peterhead but we only had one sub left by time game was safe and then Easty went down with cramp. rjc will be delighted to know he agrees Lewis Gibson's strengths lie in attacking not defending and he also thinks he's played too much football for a 17 year old and will try to rotate him a bit more. He's not strong enough to compete with a lot of senior players.

Won't accept top 4 is impossible until it actually is and won't be sending teams out to draw games. Will be looking to beat Dunfermline Saturday like everyone else in the league when we play them.

Turned down other management jobs before Queens. Felt we were a good fit for what he wants to do in the game.

Cheers (SD) for the feedback on the manager's Q&A at the AGM.  Quite amazed that Eddie Howe is able to make time during the week (whilst managing a top 4 EPL side) for regular talks with Marvin.  I'm not knocking it though, speaks volumes for the sort of guy Eddie Howe is, that he remembers and is willing to mentor Marvin - good to hear.  It's also an extremely good, high level contact to have for Queens - wonder if it might lead to some helpful loans (I'm thinking Izzy Jones level) coming our way some time in the future?  Nice to hear something positive (including the pitch replacement) again after Saturday's downer.

7 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Cheers (SD) for the feedback on the manager's Q&A at the AGM.  Quite amazed that Eddie Howe is able to make time during the week (whilst managing a top 4 EPL side) for regular talks with Marvin.  I'm not knocking it though, speaks volumes for the sort of guy Eddie Howe is, that he remembers and is willing to mentor Marvin - good to hear.  It's also an extremely good, high level contact to have for Queens - wonder if it might lead to some helpful loans (I'm thinking Izzy Jones level) coming our way some time in the future?  Nice to hear something positive (including the pitch replacement) again after Saturday's downer.

He’s maybe asking your man for advice his bad seams to have a sloe puncture, big game at the weekend for him.

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

He's pretty close to Eddie Howe. It's not a case of Howe remembering him and he's contacted him out of the blue since getting the manager's job. They were together at Bournemouth when Eddie was in charge of the Reserves there initially and Howe took him with him to Burnley when he got the job there. They've been close friends for 15 years or so and speak, on the phone or by text, several times a week. I know they've definitely spoken since the weekend.

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Definitely staying full time next season & New pitch going down after last game, The best and dearest in scotland at time of going down. 

The pitch is going to be similar to Falkirk which is a excellent.

Cost £300,000 think we have a pitch fund of £160,000 so  still to find  £140,000 .

My worry is we are again for this season going to lose a six figure sum that is even after the money we made from the Rangers game .

We have money in the bank but for how much longer already for next season are £140,000 down to pay for the pitch.

We are stayng full time for next season but for how much longer can we take these big losses.

Away from that Marvin Bartley was very impressive at the A.G.M. he speaks very well just have to hope that he can get some of his summer signing targets in and build a squad that can challenge at the right end of League 1.

Had a look the Facebook page and was surprised that your reserve lineup included Quitongo, Wilson, Ruth and Connelly, are these players injured or have they completely fallen out if the picture?

The games I watched Queens past season on the Friday night games I thought Lee Connelly was a stand out in the Championship, what's happened to him this season? (Wouldn't mind him at Airdrie) 

Are players like Connelly/Wilson etc on two year contracts or longer? If that's the case it could end up being a Falkirkesque situation that you're having to keep a hold of players who aren't good enough.

With the players you have it's a shambles that you're in this position, I thought you'd be at least amongst the play offs.