The Queen of the South thread

24 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I get what you're saying here @BPM, there is a risk that the players down tools for him.  But what else does he do?  The players now know how pissed off he is with that performance and what the standards are expected of them - and I'm sure he made it plain to them in the dressing room before that interview.

As a Bairns fan I'm sure you're well acquainted (over the last few seasons) with the experience of watching dross failing to perform.  Not being good enough is one thing, but not putting in a shift is unacceptable when fans are travelling miles and spending good money (in hard times) to watch you.  I'm sure that the Bairns fans more than made their feelings known in similar circumstances in recent seasons.

I am probably thinking ahead of this season TBH. Not sure players would want to play for a guy who does this, it is not as if he has any track record under his belt. 
I agree that it is probably warranted but always think the most effective way of doing it is behind closed doors. An example of this being effective is how John McGlynn has turned us around. Supportive in public but clearly sorting things out behind the scenes. For me that interview was to get the supporters behind him. 

I have no problem with Bartley outing the players in public. I am old enough as I come from a generation where hard work is a must. Why play people like Murray when you are looking for hard work. Kabia needs a kick up the arse as well. McKechnie and Irving coming on is not players who are going to change a game for any team. McKechnie never takes a man on and beats the defender and young Irving positioning and decision making is poor. 

Bartley saying that a lot of players are out of contract is threatening they already know this. Don't think players will down tools for him but many managers have went down this root and the managers don't last long all be it at a lot higher level were they can afford to ditch them. I'm from the carrot or stick generation and I stil believe this exists today as all personalities are totally different and need different approaches. That is what man management is all about finding the best way to get the best out of them in any industry.

My other issue over the last few games is the amount of time the Todd has had on the pitch he has been really poor but stays on the pitch all the time going against everything Bartley promises. He is not a captain or a leader in my opinion. Only player I heard on the pitch yesterday was Cochrane 

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Glad I never travelled through after the result yesterday. Surprised by the lack of effort that others have commented on though. I thought against Hamilton despite us losing the game, we gave absolutely everything. We just need a complete reset and completely change the squad this summer. 

Commented on this before, but if Connelly wasn’t injured than the reason he isn’t in the squad must be his attitude. Remember watching him and Rico doing a warm up at half time against Clyde away earlier in season and both their attitudes was coming across as absolutely stinking. 

Connelly does come across as a player who excels when things are going well for him but lacks interest and effort when they aren't.  I'm guessing that's why he and Wullie had the fall-out which wasn't really a fall-out (of course) earlier in the season.  I really can't see him being here next season, especially as he is one of the few players on the current payroll who would attract interest from other full-time clubs.

Totally agree about the complete reset.  Looking at the current squad and who is out of contract in the summer I would say the only players Marvin should pushing gthe boat out to keep are Paton and Cochrane.  Muir shows promise and could well be worth persevering with, and McGrory may be worth hanging on to purely on the grounds that we will need cover for the inevitable absences of Cochrane and Wilson through injury.  Of the rest, it's 50/50 for me as far as East and Todd are concerned, I'd have no complaints if they were still here but wouldn't shed a tear if either were to leave.  Can't comment on Botterill who I haven't seen but if we can sign Dabrowski permanently that would be a huge (literally) signing.  

If Paul McKay and Reilly can be persuaded to leave by mutual consent that would be a bonus, otherwise I'd sacrifice a couple of other squad places and use the money to pay them off.  The rest can gtf.

Edited by Slipmat

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Dubrowski

Logan Brydon East Hendrie

Gibson Cochrane Wilson 

Kabia Paton Connolly

We need 4 in the middle of the park the Hamilton game and the Kelty game they both played through us very easily. Move young Gibson further forward and I feel you will see a totally player. Hopefully Bartley sees that although he does not see that Connor Murray is a total waste of a jersey for last 2 games. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I get what you're saying here @BPM, there is a risk that the players down tools for him.  But what else does he do?  The players now know how pissed off he is with that performance and what the standards are expected of them - and I'm sure he made it plain to them in the dressing room before that interview.

As a Bairns fan I'm sure you're well acquainted (over the last few seasons) with the experience of watching dross failing to perform.  Not being good enough is one thing, but not putting in a shift is unacceptable when fans are travelling miles and spending good money (in hard times) to watch you.  I'm sure that the Bairns fans more than made their feelings known in similar circumstances in recent seasons.

Bartley's also in a unique position in that Queens could lose every game for the rest of the season and the only difference it would make would be that they'd drop one position (a position they are already level on points with), and whether you finish 7th or 8th is neither here nor there anyway. So in that respect he quite literally has nothing to lose by calling out players - if they react negatively then it makes no difference and he knows who to get rid of in the summer, if they react well and they go on a good run there's still an outside chance of 4th place.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

If they were that bad in first half why not replace them as he did with Ruth. I can only think that Cochrane was the only one working hard.

95% of that interview was for the dressing room not a camera ?

19 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

See the Kelty thread, also Greenacres and dudleyghu in this thread. Usual suspects I suppose.

I am not turning on Bartley he has a impossible job with the squad he inherited from WG nobody right now even wants any of them on loan .

It was difficult for him as well to try and change everything quickly he  really needed more players to leave.

Good to hear his interview that he agrees that yesterday performance was miles off it .

At Hamilton every player gave 100% that is all you can ask but yesterday was nothing like it simply not good enough .

Massive clear out needed be interesting to hear Marvin thoughts on Monday night at the shareholders meeting .

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

We need 4 in the middle of the park the Hamilton game and the Kelty game they both played through us very easily. Move young Gibson further forward and I feel you will see a totally player. Hopefully Bartley sees that although he does not see that Connor Murray is a total waste of a jersey for last 2 games. 

I got shouted down a few weeks ago when I said that our on-field leadership was non-existent. We need to find a captain as a priority. Todd clearly not the answer. The sooner this is sorted the better.

4-4-2 should be our “go to” formation but we persist with this 3-4-1-2 set up (or a variation of it)week after week and the results tell their own story.

Gibson never a wing back - Skyline tells me in another post that this is the position that he apparently has played in predominantly (pre first team appearances). I would be very surprised if many QOS regulars see Lewis in this role - it is pretty obvious that he is a “final third” player and potentially a very good one at that. 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am probably thinking ahead of this season TBH. Not sure players would want to play for a guy who does this, it is not as if he has any track record under his belt. 
I agree that it is probably warranted but always think the most effective way of doing it is behind closed doors. An example of this being effective is how John McGlynn has turned us around. Supportive in public but clearly sorting things out behind the scenes. For me that interview was to get the supporters behind him. 

Yes, I do see your point re next season.  Of course, the other way to view that is that any player thinking of signing for Bartley this summer will be in no doubt what his expectations are in terms of hard work and application.  If it scares off the half-hearted then so be it.  After a 20 year stretch in the Championship (bar one season out) we have been in a steep decline for a couple of seasons now, so this is no time to fanny about and Bartley knows that - or he will lose his job too.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with the interview being for the fans benefit - and I think he has to do that.  The other approach (behind closed doors) works if its a borderline poor performance, but when its just a plain rank performance its hard to dodge stating the painfully obvious.  There's QOS fans on here that won't agree with me (due to his DG brainfart moment with Raith) but I've always rated McGlynn as a manager at this level and like the low key way he does his work - not every manager has to be a "media darling" to succeed.  I knew the Bairns would be in safe hands with him.

I totally agree on the kick ass style. Marv is confident, intelligent, knowledgeable and a winner. I’m sick of low grade, retread managers. Support him and let him get 20 in who get it. I believe that this boy has got ‘it’ and it will work. The Alex Ferguson East Stirlingshire moment. What have we got to lose. The last 5-10 years have been dull. Let’s rally round Marv, fans, Board and the right players. I’ve lost patience with the current crop of players who are happy to coast then move onto another average team. I would keep Dobrowski and Logan ( if possible), Brydon, Cochrane, Gibson, Paton, Wilson, maybe Connolly and Kabia. The rest can hoof off. They didn’t travel hours to pay their money and stand in the rain watching can’t be bothered dross yesterday. If they all want out so what. It’s going to be bumpy but it will be fun so let’s get behind the big man. I just loved his interview yesterday, took the edge of the pain of watching the dog meat earlier

17 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I totally agree on the kick ass style. Marv is confident, intelligent, knowledgeable and a winner. I’m sick of low grade, retread managers. Support him and let him get 20 in who get it. I believe that this boy has got ‘it’ and it will work. The Alex Ferguson East Stirlingshire moment. 

Steady on.

I'm pleased to see Bartley in charge too.  Calling him a "winner" is based more on faith than evidence though.