The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Personally I think Murray continually flatters to deceive- he has some ability but lacks pace and is very ineffectual. I suspect that he is one of these players who looks great in training hence the reason that Managers keep giving him “game time” that other deserving cases don’t seem to get.

I think the longer Connelly is out the better his contribution and value to the team is perceived to be. He had a purple patch last season and looked a player but in the latter part of last season and this season (allowances made for injuries) he has been poor. When he eventually gets himself fit he needs to deliver a lot more than he has done or I suspect he will be looking for a new club next season.

Think that’s harsh on Connelly. It seems as though he’s not had a run of 4/5 starts in a row to really get his season going, yet he’s still scored a few in the season when he’s came off the bench. Think he was treated as a bit of a scapegoat under WG to be honest.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Personally I think Murray continually flatters to deceive- he has some ability but lacks pace and is very ineffectual. I suspect that he is one of these players who looks great in training hence the reason that Managers keep giving him “game time” that other deserving cases don’t seem to get.

I think the longer Connelly is out the better his contribution and value to the team is perceived to be. He had a purple patch last season and looked a player but in the latter part of last season and this season (allowances made for injuries) he has been poor. When he eventually gets himself fit he needs to deliver a lot more than he has done or I suspect he will be looking for a new club next season.

Can’t really be judged this season imo 

Gavin reilly was a really good footballer when he was first with us but looking at him now he has fallen out of love with the game and to honest I have followed his career over the years I think only at st mirren did he show that there is a player there . 
reason for me is when things not going well he hides goes missing and to be honest I think he could do with people telling the truth not sugar coat the problem he has . 
really think queens will do well to get him out on loan unless they pay most of wages 

another player who could have been miles better than he has turned out and 

46 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Expect Gavin, Rico & Ciaran all to be out on loan before end of Feb.. Most likely the end of fulltime football for all three. 

I would expect that as well. But well within their rights to sit tight rather than go part time. Reilly still has another year on his contract. I take it Bartley knows him really well from Livingston so that helped make up his mind. Rico has been a little bit unlucky don't think there is much between him and Hendrie. McKenna has to be replaced to many mistakes he needs to go and play his proper CB position. 

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

I would expect that as well. But well within their rights to sit tight rather than go part time. Reilly still has another year on his contract. I take it Bartley knows him really well from Livingston so that helped make up his mind. Rico has been a little bit unlucky don't think there is much between him and Hendrie. McKenna has to be replaced to many mistakes he needs to go and play his proper CB position. 

Rico is good going forward but his defensive positioning is pretty abysmal and he has a tendency to rush into challenges that don't need to be made.  I think Hendrie has slightly more about him defensively and to be fair he can deliver a good cross, even if he is prone to the odd calamity.

One guy who must surely be on his way out who Marvin didn't mention is Morrison.  That's five months gone by since he last played.  Has he even returned to training yet?  I doubt we'll see him in a Queens shirt again.

With Marvin indicating that the squad is too big hopefully we'll see more quality than quantity next season.

It's pretty clear that any positives we get from the rest of this season will be a bonus.  The real deal is next season now and I'm sure that Marvin knows what type/what position/who he wants - refreshingly he strikes me as a guy with a clear plan/strategy moving forwards.  The guys in our current squad need to put in a serious shift in the remainder of this season or they'll be out, simples.  For the first time in years I'm actually looking forward to next season.

I do think a few more also need to get told they can leave as well. In an ideal world I think I would move on Murray, Irvine and Ruth as well as bringing in another striker on loan. We are a Paton injury away from ending our (very small) play-off hopes.

Speaking of Stephen Humphries long range goal columnist Gordon Parks states it was a special goal but he had once played in a Clyde game where Stevie (Snowy) Morrison scored against Queens of the South from further out than the length of Sauchiehall Street. Anyone remember this goal?

40 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Speaking of Stephen Humphries long range goal columnist Gordon Parks states it was a special goal but he had once played in a Clyde game where Stevie (Snowy) Morrison scored against Queens of the South from further out than the length of Sauchiehall Street. Anyone remember this goal?

Can't recall that Clyde goal (no doubt some of the Bully Wee P&B guys will do though).

Noticeable that in all of the eulogising about Humphries goal, the Central Belt scribes (bless their wee cotton socks) don't seem to be mentioning an equally or even more impressive 84 yd effort from a certain R McCann esq circa 2008 ...

13 hours ago, queenslad said:

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Can't recall that Clyde goal (no doubt some of the Bully Wee P&B guys will do though).

Noticeable that in all of the eulogising about Humphries goal, the Central Belt scribes (bless their wee cotton socks) don't seem to be mentioning an equally or even more impressive 84 yd effort from a certain R McCann esq circa 2008 ...

It wasnt really more impressive though was it? It means everything to us due to circumstances but it was an open goal with Samson up the pitch. Humphries had a keeper to beat.

I cant recall this Clyde goal either. Parks, who was a borderline footballer ultimately played 1 year at Clyde which dates it to 1994. I remember a horribly wind affected game up there where Andy McFarlane scored direct from a corner.

16 hours ago, Slipmat said:

One guy who must surely be on his way out who Marvin didn't mention is Morrison.  That's five months gone by since he last played.  Has he even returned to training yet?  I doubt we'll see him in a Queens shirt again.

He mentioned Morrison lasr week said his recovery hadnt gone as well as hoped and may need more surgery

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wasnt really more impressive though was it? It means everything to us due to circumstances but it was an open goal with Samson up the pitch. Humphries had a keeper to beat.

Aye, OK, OK ... as I was typing that I knew that someone would make that very point ... sometimes forensically dissecting the fine detail of posts kind of misses the spirit in which they're made, n'est ce pas?

13 hours ago, queenslad said:

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I cant recall this Clyde goal either. Parks, who was a borderline footballer ultimately played 1 year at Clyde which dates it to 1994. I remember a horribly wind affected game up there where Andy McFarlane scored direct from a corner.

I had a check back out of curiosity.

The game I was thinking of was 21st August 1995 at Broadwood but Stevie Morrison had left Clyde before that. He had 3 years there, 1991 to 1994. As far as I can see he scored against us twice for them, both of which were at Palmerston. The 1st in a 2-1 win for Clyde 17/8/1991 and the 3rd in a 3-2 Clyde win in May 1993 (when a certain Frank McGarvey scored the 1st). Gordon Parks was with Clyde from 1992 to 1997 (not one year as my erroneous initial source said), although he was a bit part player generally. He wasn't at the club when Morrison scored his first against us so he can only be referring to the one in 1993. I was at the game but have no memory of anything being spectacular enough to be from the other half at Palmerston other than the aforementioned Ryan McCann effort. I know George Wood infamously scored with a clearance from his own goal at Palmerston but that's before my time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Not quite the same feat, but didn't an Arbroath winger score over Goram's head from just inside our half when The Goalie was with us for a short spell?  The winger had spotted Goram meandering along his 18 yd box, spotted the opportunity and lobbed him.  Bet he still bores his mates down the pub about that one.