The Queen of the South thread

55 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Confirmed from the post match interview that Bartley is looking to send Rico, McKenna and Reilly out on loan. No doubt all three have been disappointing this season, although pretty bold call from only being in the job about three weeks. 

Surely a financial aspect to that decision (will we get somebody to pay even a percentage of these guys wages?). While we’ve added to the squad, I don’t think we’re bustling with good quality options in those positions. No natural left back cover and not seen anything yet to suggest Ruth is a better option up front than Reilly. 

1 minute ago, the_palmy_pie said:

For whatever reason Bartley doesn’t rate Reilly but the wee man is better than this donkey. 

IMO 

Don't disagree that Reilly is better than Ruth but in the same breath I'm happy Bartley isn't taking any shite from anyone. Ship up or shape out. I'm all for it regardless of the player/s in question. 

Good set of post match interviews there.  Everyone talking really positively, so good to hear.

Have to admire Marvin's work so far, he's direct and no messing and that's the way it has to be for a manager - if the player's don't do what he wants then he loses his job, no margin for error, so do what I want and you play, don't and you're out, not negotiable.

Paton's interview was the most entertaining though - great attitude, comes across as a real character with a good sense of humour, just what you need in the squad.

Back to back wins, a clean sheet, signs of a plan and style of football, improvements and reinforcements in key areas (GK, defence and fitness)

All really positive signs from Bartley.

Not getting ahead of myself in regards to any potential late play-off charge until we start doing it against teams not called Clyde, Peterhead or Edinburgh!

32 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Not getting ahead of myself in regards to any potential late play-off charge until we start doing it against teams not called Clyde, Peterhead or Edinburgh!

^^^ Aye, very much this.

2 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

McKenna

I'd be happy if Dunfermline brought him in tbh, can't imagine it would cost a huge amount and we are lacking in that area of the pitch. He's obviously not had the greatest of times with you guys but did a turn for Partick Thistle.

I think it makes perfect sense to send Reilly out on loan as for me he would currently be fourth choice striker behind Paton, Kabia and a fit Connelly so given the right move he has a better chance to prove his worth.

As regular readers will know I'm not a Reilly fan.  Don't get me wrong I thought he was a fine player for us first time round, but I feel that aside from his time at St Mirren, he has never really fulfilled his potential and for some reason has rapidly become a bit part player wherever he has been played since  leaving us.  I never expected him to come back in the summer the same player that he was in his younger days (I think some fans did) but I did think he would be a good signing for a League One club, but unfortunately he is in my opinion bang average at this level too.  I am surprised that he has fallen behind Ruth in the pecking order, but that said I expect Ruth to be back on the bench on a regular basis for much of the remainder of the season.

Marvin has worked with Reilly at Livingston so will know him well, so I trust his judgment in allowing him the chance of a regular start elsewhere.  It's not necessarily the end of Reilly's days at Queens, but maybe a signal to the player that he needs a kick up the bahookie if he wants to be involved next season, especially if he showed poor attitude at the reserve game on Thursday.

40 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'd be happy if Dunfermline brought him in tbh, can't imagine it would cost a huge amount and we are lacking in that area of the pitch. He's obviously not had the greatest of times with you guys but did a turn for Partick Thistle.

Please take him. I get that we've mostly played him out if position at rb but his inability to do basics like passing or controlling the ball puts the team under pressure. Tbf he was a poor player in a poor defence so harsh to single him out but he frustrated me more than the rest. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Please take him. I get that we've mostly played him out if position at rb but his inability to do basics like passing or controlling the ball puts the team under pressure. Tbf he was a poor player in a poor defence so harsh to single him out but he frustrated me more than the rest. 

I would trust McPake to help improve even the most shakey of defenders. Considering he has turned a defence which still has 3 regular players from last year's shambolic defending into a steady and reliable unit.

Hard to know if Queens would loan him to a club in the same division, obviously he couldn't play against you if he did and McPake might have other targets but I wouldn't be against it as currently our substitute defenders have almost no league experience.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I would trust McPake to help improve even the most shakey of defenders. Considering he has turned a defence which still has 3 regular players from last year's shambolic defending into a steady and reliable unit.

Hard to know if Queens would loan him to a club in the same division, obviously he couldn't play against you if he did and McPake might have other targets but I wouldn't be against it as currently our substitute defenders have almost no league experience.

If we were to loan him out to a side in our league I'd be hoping it would be to one of the ones aiming for 4th so it instantly improved our chances of getting there ahead of them. He's absolutely terrible. He played with the reserves the other need and was genuinely still one of the worst performers in the side. And that was in his 'preferred' position at CB. If we manage to convince a side higher than League 2 to take him off our hands I'll be gobsmacked. 

Despite Reilly struggling week after week Ruth hardly got a look in. I honestly haven’t  seen enough of Ruth to properly judge him properly and I think that is the same for most Queens’ supporters if they are being honest on the subject .Coming on occasionally for the last 10/15 minutes chasing lost causes is not really giving a player a fair chance. Yesterday he really “put himself about” and I thought he looked much more effective than Reilly who for me has been largely anonymous. Harsh but cant judge Reilly on past glories - that’s the sad reality of football.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

I'd be ecstatic if you brought him in, he's absolutely dug meat wherever he plays on the park.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Despite Reilly struggling week after week Ruth hardly got a look in. I honestly haven’t  seen enough of Ruth to properly judge him properly and I think that is the same for most Queens’ supporters if they are being honest on the subject .Coming on occasionally for the last 10/15 minutes chasing lost causes is not really giving a player a fair chance. Yesterday he really “put himself about” and I thought he looked much more effective than Reilly who for me has been largely anonymous. Harsh but cant judge Reilly on past glories - that’s the sad reality of football.

I’d agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I'm one of the few that liked Ruth when he was at us and genuinely thought he'd have been a decent signing for you but he's not really done much yet.

Noticed from your highlights last week it was Ruth who turned his man and sent Todd through for him to then square it to Paton for your first goal. If you stick with Ruth he'll do far more for you than Gavin Reilly.

25 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm one of the few that liked Ruth when he was at us and genuinely thought he'd have been a decent signing for you but he's not really done much yet.

Noticed from your highlights last week it was Ruth who turned his man and sent Todd through for him to then square it to Paton for your first goal. If you stick with Ruth he'll do far more for you than Gavin Reilly.

That’s my thoughts - he hasn’t set the “heather on fire” but when you hardly get any meaningful game time it is extremely difficult. Reilly doesn’t hold the ball up and frankly looks a “spent force”. The Manager has clearly formed the same view and thinks Ruth is a better option.

Bartley has obviously made to decision to let the 3 guys go and the fact he said in the interview let's everyone know. He is obviously working with the other guys who are all mostly playing for their futures. As he sees something he can work with. The signings of Dabrowski and Brydon have made us stronger defensively and hopefully Logan also hits the ground running. Kabia has to up his work rate for me. Bartley is ruthless as McGrory found out yesterday by being hooked at half time unfortunately he put Murray on for me is any empty shirt. When we get Wilson and Connelly back we will definitely be stronger and the fact we are only 6 points of the play offs and a semi final in the cup on Tuesday. Keep the momentum going into the Kelty game in a fortnight before a tough game against Dunfermline.

5 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Bartley has obviously made to decision to let the 3 guys go and the fact he said in the interview let's everyone know. He is obviously working with the other guys who are all mostly playing for their futures. As he sees something he can work with. The signings of Dabrowski and Brydon have made us stronger defensively and hopefully Logan also hits the ground running. Kabia has to up his work rate for me. Bartley is ruthless as McGrory found out yesterday by being hooked at half time unfortunately he put Murray on for me is any empty shirt. When we get Wilson and Connelly back we will definitely be stronger and the fact we are only 6 points of the play offs and a semi final in the cup on Tuesday. Keep the momentum going into the Kelty game in a fortnight before a tough game against Dunfermline.

This Murray is a empty shirt is a bit harsh .

He is more  attack minded than  McGrory okay he is not as good as say a fit Connelly but still worth a place in the squad .

Reilly has been a huge dissapointment has never got anywhere near the level we need in saying that not sure Ruth is much better .

McKenna just does not like the physical side of the game easily bullied.

Rico has pace good going forward but as a defender he takes up poor positions easily beat in saying that not sure sgain if Hendrie is any better 

Our fitness looks  better everything done so much quicker good  to see us trying to pass the ball rather than the punt up the park .

We are are a work in progress can we do it against the better teams in the League time will tell.

30 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

He is more  attack minded than  McGrory okay he is not as good as say a fit Connelly but still worth a place in the squad .

Reilly has been a huge dissapointment has never got anywhere near the level we need in saying that not sure Ruth is much better .

Rico has pace good going forward but as a defender he takes up poor positions easily beat in saying that not sure sgain if Hendrie is any better 

Our fitness looks  better everything done so much quicker good  to see us trying to pass the ball rather than the punt up the park .

We are are a work in progress can we do it against the better teams in the League time will tell.

100 per cent agree Connelly is a better attacking option than McGrory. I just think Murray is not a better option than him. It is a game of opinions and that is mine. When Connelly and Wilson come back I don't see McGrory or Murray in the starting 11 going by the way the manager is setting up his team. But wil have to be kept in case of injuries to Wilson or Cochrane. 

24 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Personally I think Murray continually flatters to deceive- he has some ability but lacks pace and is very ineffectual. I suspect that he is one of these players who looks great in training hence the reason that Managers keep giving him “game time” that other deserving cases don’t seem to get.

I think the longer Connelly is out the better his contribution and value to the team is perceived to be. He had a purple patch last season and looked a player but in the latter part of last season and this season (allowances made for injuries) he has been poor. When he eventually gets himself fit he needs to deliver a lot more than he has done or I suspect he will be looking for a new club next season.