The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

While not meaning to add too much to the sense of pessimism/apathy for the remainder of the season, I'm in agreement that its now at the stage of writing-off and starting again in the summer - had we got anything from Alloa and Montrose might have been different but too big an ask now and as said not worth the resources for a short-term push. 9 points to Alloa could be overcome but the league is too bunched IMO to manage to overtake all four teams ahead of us.  

Agree with much of your post DD.

However, I seem to be in glass-half-full mode this evening (don't know why, been cycling up at a windfarm this afternoon and got a bloody puncture for my pains, and it was bloody cold too) and so I don't think the season is entirely written off yet as we are just over half way through.  Yes, we definitely won't win this league from 8th place, but I'm not sure that 4th is totally out sight if we were to put a run together.  Also, yes - the remainder of the season should be as much about building towards next season's campaign which is key.

On 25/01/2023 at 22:05, 19QOS19 said:

Getting quality players in in January is a rarity. Getting enough quality players to turn our fortunes around is surely impossible

It is a rarity, but not impossible.  Best thing McCall did for us when he wheeled and dealed and brought in Murray, Adams, McDonald and , I think, some sort of striker !   Never forget the Jan (H) to Partick after they signed. 4 up in dreamland but we still almost managed to blow it ending 4-3.  That was the start of something for sure !

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

It is a rarity, but not impossible.  Best thing McCall did for us when he wheeled and dealed and brought in Murray, Adams, McDonald and , I think, some sort of striker !   Never forget the Jan (H) to Partick after they signed. 4 up in dreamland but we still almost managed to blow it ending 4-3.  That was the start of something for sure !

Aye, cracking game that.  Think wee Stevie Murray had a great game, not sure he really hit those heights again with us though.  Was that the game where Thistle had a decent penalty shout denied in the last minute as well?

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, cracking game that.  Think wee Stevie Murray had a great game, not sure he really hit those heights again with us though.  Was that the game where Thistle had a decent penalty shout denied in the last minute as well?

Not often that you'll see the words "big" and "Stevie Murray" in the same sentence, but I always thought that Stevie Murray made a big contribution to The Great Escape(TM) which often gets overlooked due to the magnificence of a certain SD*.

* Dobbie, not Drifter 😉

Pretty sure that was the game when I bumped into a Thistle supporting work colleague outside the Ice Bowl after the game.  He was seething, I was grinning from ear to ear.  I tried to offer him felicitations but he was purple with rage and about to deck me, so we decided to bid farewell.  He'd calmed down a wee bit at work by the Monday.  Happy days. 🙂

5 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I'm fairly sure that Stevie Tosh arrived the following week too.

On 26/01/2023 at 09:03, Tony Wonder said:

Rumours among Hearts fans that you are signing Euan Henderson from us. Quite surprised at that as I thought he'd get a Championship team and if it was L1 I thought it'd be top end, no offence. 

Think it'll be a very good signing if it comes off though, he's proven to score goals at that level. 

Signed for Queens Park

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Shame ... the Jambos were no doubt talking about the other Queens ... ie the moneybags version.

I'd heard him linked with them too but all the rumours were QoTS with Bartley. 

Ah well, best of luck for the rest of the season.

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Never seen him play, but going by what Falkirk and Morton fans have said he is a good player with a bad attitude?

He was brought up a few weeks back and I thought the general consensus was that he can go missing at times but a move to League 1 could be just what's needed. Time will tell I suppose.