The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Let’s be totally honest if Bartley can turn this rabble into “winners” without some more reinforcements I will be seriously impressed. Much more likely that they will keep stumbling and relying on the detached pair below us to keep us safe. 

You're probably right, but for the next 5 or 6 days I'm gonna keep hoping that one or two cavalry might just appear over the hill to inject some much needed know how and a wee bit of enthusiasm into the second half of this less than wonderful season.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Was kinda hoping that we might do some more player business before the end of the window ... the clock's ticking on ...

Does the loans window close at the end of January too? If not there's still time to do deals, but agree it would be better to get bodies in asap. I hope Marvin has been working the socks off these jobbers during this break. 

Probably the pessimist in me but regardless of Bartley taking over I'd take a match to this season. I think there's too much deadwood in our squad for Bartley to turn it around from here. I'd honestly rather we save our pennies for next season, get rid of the shite then let Bartley start from there. 

Getting quality players in in January is a rarity. Getting enough quality players to turn our fortunes around is surely impossible. If he can implement some kind of system that makes me not want to gouge my eyes out then I'll be content enough until next season. 

Rumours among Hearts fans that you are signing Euan Henderson from us. Quite surprised at that as I thought he'd get a Championship team and if it was L1 I thought it'd be top end, no offence. 

Think it'll be a very good signing if it comes off though, he's proven to score goals at that level. 

24 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Rumours among Hearts fans that you are signing Euan Henderson from us. Quite surprised at that as I thought he'd get a Championship team and if it was L1 I thought it'd be top end, no offence. 

Think it'll be a very good signing if it comes off though, he's proven to score goals at that level. 

On a loan I take it? You’d have thought he could have got a gig at most championship clubs so that’s surprising if it’s true

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

On a loan I take it? You’d have thought he could have got a gig at most championship clubs so that’s surprising if it’s true

Not sure tbh. He's out of contract at the end of the season and next to no chance of an extension. I would assume short term for himself to get in the shop window, but maybe you've offered him some security of a longer deal.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Not sure tbh. He's out of contract at the end of the season and next to no chance of an extension. I would assume short term for himself to get in the shop window, but maybe you've offered him some security of a longer deal.

Sounds too good to be true unfortunately!

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

We'll find out soon enough I guess, but seen a few Hearts fans saying it's a goer so wouldn't be shocked if it came off.

Could be something in this.  Thought I read somewhere that Neilson is still looking to add to the Hearts squad, so maybe he needs to offload some in the process.  Whilst Henderson might be considered a decent enough prospect, he probably isn't of the calibre that Neilson thinks is required to cement the Jambos as the defacto "third power" in the big league.  Staying at Tynecastle, he'd be unlikely to get much if any game time - so a move away is sensible for him.  As you say, the surprise would be if he ended up at poorly performing Queens side.  That said, we'd give him a chance to shine ... and Bartley probably talks us up well.

10 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

We'll find out soon enough I guess, but seen a few Hearts fans saying it's a goer so wouldn't be shocked if it came off.

Would be absolutely delighted with this. As mentioned on another thread would like us to take a chance on Akinola released by thistle, covers centre half and midfield. Can’t be any worse than any of the McKays 

2 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Would be absolutely delighted with this. As mentioned on another thread would like us to take a chance on Akinola released by thistle, covers centre half and midfield. Can’t be any worse than any of the McKays 

Seen a few Thistle fans saying that he wants a move back down south

Henderson is very capable when running at defences and on his day way too good for L1. Have to say I found him hugely frustrating though, seemed disinterested if things weren't going for him and even pulling out of runs if he wasn't sure to get the ball. If he wasn't scoring he wasn't doing anything. Not surprised that he hasn't broken through at Hearts. Perhaps Marvin Bartley can get a tune out of him, there is certainly a good player in there. 

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Certainly hope Henderson doesn't end up with you lot. We've been sort of linking ourselves with him all window. Thought the Mcglynn connection would've had some impact. Paton and Henderson could be scary.

Aye, McGlynn is certainly well connected with the Jambos as you say.  Plus you'd think the Bairnabeu would be a more attractive move for him, unfortunately.

While not meaning to add too much to the sense of pessimism/apathy for the remainder of the season, I'm in agreement that its now at the stage of writing-off and starting again in the summer - had we got anything from Alloa and Montrose might have been different but too big an ask now and as said not worth the resources for a short-term push. 9 points to Alloa could be overcome but the league is too bunched IMO to manage to overtake all four teams ahead of us. 

Marv needs to keep players onside enough that tools aren't downed too much (other managers have made the mistake of saying who is getting binned too early) although in this unique case we would probably still be fine if we gave up now - particularly if we win on Saturday. 

Any recruitment should be with the intention of being here next year and building for that - just like the impressively forward-looking Brydon deal. 

22 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Was kinda hoping that we might do some more player business before the end of the window ... the clock's ticking on ...

Looks to me like Bartley is giving this squad one more game  at Peterhead.

Bartley seems to think that 2 weeks intense coaching is going to make a difference.

I was hoping for a couple of quality loan signing that we need before the Peterhead game but that is  not going to happen now. .

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Looks to me like Bartley is giving this squad one more game  at Peterhead.

Bartley seems to think that 2 weeks intense coaching is going to make a difference.

I was hoping for a couple of quality loan signing that we need before the Peterhead game but that is  not going to happen now. .

I'm sure Marvin's constantly talking to agents, clubs and players about possibilities to bring players in and opportunities to move players out.  If he hasn't got anything fixed up  before the Peterhead game then I'm sure its not for want of trying.  If nothing happens before Peterhead then so be it.  If nothing gets done before the end of the window on Tuesday, then again so be it - I'm sure it won't be for want of trying.  If nothing happens this window then he has to coach what he's inherited as best as he can - he knew that was the score when he took the job, so c'est la vie and we move on.  The key period for Marvin is next summer's window - that's when his main opportunity is to put his stamp on the squad and that's when he has to get it right.

NB - I'm not sure about whether the January window is a closure for loans also or not - I've been told before, but I always forget.  I'm sure SD will keep us straight on that point if he has time (I hope he's very busy over the next few days ... 😉).

2 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

That’s the dates confirmed for the semi final of the challenge cup.  Hamilton also play Hearts the Friday after the semi against us so a bit hectic for them.  

433666A5-D24D-43B1-82A9-8C7E5EE48789.jpeg

Hopefully, Hamilton will be more focussed on the Hearts game in the big cup and maybe rest some players for our wee Diddy tie.  Although I suppose you could say that Hamilton are far more likely to progress in the Diddy cup than in the big cup and so they might be better going full pelt in the Diddy cup.  There, I've convinced myself that both outcomes are equally likely, what a waste of a post ... apologies in advance for my drivel ... ooops, almost typed darvel ... 🤔