The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

A fortune to plough a small area of land sew wait and prepare ? The world is madder than i thought 

Like I’ve already said players and supporters hate these artificial pitches. Only my opinion but the grass should never have been ripped up in the first place. It’s time we ditched the plastic pitch forever. 

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:Speaking of the past I miss orange balls and pitches which are half bathed in sunshine and half white with frost!

I reckon many of us who are of a certain age recall the orange ball with great fondness. Really added to the atmosphere of winter games.

15 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Like I’ve already said players and supporters hate these artificial pitches. Only my opinion but the grass should never have been ripped up in the first place. It’s time we ditched the plastic pitch forever. 

They don’t hate them, they just hate ours. Think it’s only way clubs below premier league can go tbh, renting it out making some money. But these pitches need to be looked after properly 

17 hours ago, peternapper said:

As you will hopefully see next week we have one of the best grass surfaces in the country. Like the team we have one part-time groundsman looking after it he is a greenkeeper at a local golf course & knows his stuff. Think there is a bit more outlay pre-season to get it in good order and we have not had many postponements over the years. Have to say the pitch is not used for other games very often & with us being part time not used for training on. Apart from the wind we sometimes get think most players enjoy our park. 

I've no statistical evidence to support this view (why let facts get in the way) but I worked in Peterhead for a couple of years in the early 80s and I always had the impression that it had a much drier climate than the south west of the country so that might be a contributory factor in the deterioration of grass pitches through the very wet winter months we get in the SW. When that wind whipped in from the North Sea in January, my god it was cold mind.

37 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

They don’t hate them, they just hate ours. Think it’s only way clubs below premier league can go tbh, renting it out making some money. But these pitches need to be looked after properly 

As I've said - plastic pitches aren't an issue. Shite plastic pitches are. Youngsters will be growing up playing on these pitches in Scotland so they'll be well used to them. A lot of sides will train on them as well. 

Ours is awful as has been well established but the likes of Falkirk's is a great surface. A lot of revisionism going on about grass pitches here. A good grass pitch can't be beaten but I think there are a few folk forgetting about all the games we've seen QoS play on tattie fields in the past. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I've no statistical evidence to support this view (why let facts get in the way) but I worked in Peterhead for a couple of years in the early 80s and I always had the impression that it had a much drier climate than the south west of the country so that might be a contributory factor in the deterioration of grass pitches through the very wet winter months we get in the SW. When that wind whipped in from the North Sea in January, my god it was cold mind.

Yes you are correct the North East tends to be drier as we have the Cairngorm Mountains between us and the West Coast so rain etc tends to be less on the East Coast. Unfortunately the Gulf Stream which makes the Moray Firth much milder does not quite reach Peterhead. 😃

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As I've said - plastic pitches aren't an issue. Shite plastic pitches are. Youngsters will be growing up playing on these pitches in Scotland so they'll be well used to them. A lot of sides will train on them as well. 

Ours is awful as has been well established but the likes of Falkirk's is a great surface. A lot of revisionism going on about grass pitches here. A good grass pitch can't be beaten but I think there are a few folk forgetting about all the games we've seen QoS play on tattie fields in the past. 

You get what you pay for .

Falkirk pitch has been down for years yet right from the start you could see it was a better standard of pitch.

This is why a new pitch for us has to be done right with more cushion in it like Falkirk and Raith.

They   even compared to Killie and Livi look to have better pitches but it will all come down to cost as most things do 

4 hours ago, nomad said:

Could be fun in 2027 if the UK follows Europe Union and bans rubber infill from artificial sports surfaces. Back to the old days of KGV and all that sand. 

Additional post actions

Artificial turf banned: From 2025, Eredivisie clubs are obliged to play on natural grass. 

Hope everyone else does the same eventually. 

On 22/01/2023 at 18:03, louisxiv said:

I reckon many of us who are of a certain age recall the orange ball with great fondness. Really added to the atmosphere of winter games.

Fondness isn’t a word I particularly associate with the Orange Mitre Multiplex.

You knew all about it if you got this in the side of the dish, or your inner thigh.  It left you with a red Mitre tattoo for a couple of days after. 

Mitre balls in the 70s and 80’s were always heavy b*****ds, but the orange ones were like cannon balls. 

CCDAB09C-24BB-462F-91F8-500439643275.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

10 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^^^ The Multiplex was 'luxury'. For serious skin damage you needed itscheaper cousin, the Mouldmaster.

mouldmaster.jpg.447e37771447d1ba0a17d3e22542c9de.jpg

Oh yes, the mouldmaster. We used them at primary school. They were real spirit crushers. 

I don’t think you could ever get them more than a foot off of the ground, unless they deflected off of something or someone! 

Dimpled to add some colour to the inevitable bruising. It looked like someone had hit you with a table tennis bat. 

Edited by qos_75

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Additional post actions

Artificial turf banned: From 2025, Eredivisie clubs are obliged to play on natural grass. 

Hope everyone else does the same eventually. 

In Holland of all places eh?

What could possibly go wrong?

Bill McAllister (@mcallistermed1a) / Twitter