The Queen of the South thread

36 minutes ago, queenslad said:

will be players be in doing extra training and work tomorrow. may be an idea to get them to Palmerston to get players more used to the pitch that always seems to make a fool of them

Dalbeattie Star's game has been switched from Islecroft to Palmerston so I'd guess that's a no-no.  Unfortunately.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Been with us since December but now official. I'm not that observant. Cowie surely loaned out again if not released? 

So that's Currie, Cowie, Fox, Ritchie, Henderson, Dabrowski and now Botterill all been involved with the first team and Pietsch with the reserves.

Just three more keepers to go and we could theoretically put together a full goalkeeping eleven chosen from this season's selection of players.

Of course that's a ridiculous scenario which would never happen, as it would mean dropping McKenna or Reilly.

Edited by Slipmat

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I thought the sell on was usually a % of the profit? So Livi sold him for £2m, they’d get their X% of the amount QPR sell him for above £2m. With the figures quoted, it won’t be a huge figure we end up with, I’d think. 

80k if that’s the case then, presuming he goes for the £4m which has been quoted 

10 hours ago, queenslad said:

will be players be in doing extra training and work tomorrow. may be an idea to get them to Palmerston to get players more used to the pitch that always seems to make a fool of them

The pitch has very little to do with their ability, or lack of, to control a ball or find a teammate with a pass. I'm not saying it's a great surface, it's rubbish, but the bugbear for me is that opposition teams in the main seem to manage to do the basics on it better than Queens players do, which appears to suggest there's more than the pitch to blame, and its been the same for years now.

11 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The pitch has very little to do with their ability, or lack of, to control a ball or find a teammate with a pass. I'm not saying it's a great surface, it's rubbish, but the bugbear for me is that opposition teams in the main seem to manage to do the basics on it better than Queens players do, which appears to suggest there's more than the pitch to blame, and its been the same for years now.

I think fitness is the main reason why we have been terrible this season, that and majority of the team having the heart of a pea. Always seem to concede in the 60th-80th minute and often when we concede once we do again soon after.

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

^^^ This!

We can't blame our home pitch no matter how crap it is. Other sides do well enough on it.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ This!

We can't blame our home pitch no matter how crap it is. Other sides do well enough on it.

Indeed.

The perceived wisdom regarding early dodgy artificial pitches at places like Luton and Oldham, was that they gave the home side a big advantage.  Not so with us it seems.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

The perceived wisdom regarding early dodgy artificial pitches at places like Luton and Oldham, was that they gave the home side a big advantage.  Not so with us it seems.

Are we getting a new artificial pitch in the summer have heard the rumour but no official word yet.

Our pitch has been down for around 10 years you can see especially if the pen box that it is done badly needs changed .Best artifical I have seen is at Raith but I suppose it is the same as anything you get what you pay for.

As with everything it all comes down to what our budget is.

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Are we getting a new artificial pitch in the summer have heard the rumour but no official word yet.

Our pitch has been down for around 10 years you can see especially if the pen box that it is done badly needs changed .Best artifical I have seen is at Raith but I suppose it is the same as anything you get what you pay for.

As with everything it all comes down to what our budget is.

It’s time all artificial pitches were banned from Scottish football. We survived fine before without them so why not now ? 

39 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

It’s time all artificial pitches were banned from Scottish football. We survived fine before without them so why not now ? 

I would rather we went back to a good  grass pitch but that's  not going to happen .

Not a fan of artifical pitches but understand it makes sense  to hire out Palmy to try and make extra income.

5 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

I would rather we went back to a good  grass pitch but that's  not going to happen .

Not a fan of artifical pitches but understand it makes sense  to hire out Palmy to try and make extra income.

We survived before without it  and we’re also lucky we make money off the Arena. It’s time to ditch the pitch. 

11 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

We survived before without it  and we’re also lucky we make money off the Arena. It’s time to ditch the pitch. 

We need to find a fortune to get grass back apparently. 

Artificial pitches aren't the issue; shite artificial pitches are the problem. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We need to find a fortune to get grass back apparently. 

Artificial pitches aren't the issue; shite artificial pitches are the problem. 

Think I remember when Raith got a artificial pitch the chairmen said they paid that bit extra to get  high quality .

It certainly looks very good night and day compared to ours.

31 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Think I remember when Raith got a artificial pitch the chairmen said they paid that bit extra to get  high quality .

Perhaps they did ... but aren't the same Raith Rovers facing some financial difficulties now?

If finances were no constraint we should be going for one of those fancy wooby doo hybrid grass/artificial pitches such as they have at Murrayfield and many of the top football clubs complete with huge robotic mobile sun lamps to ensure continued grass growth out of season - but that's fantasy land at our level.

So I'm sure that the club weighed up the total costs of a real grass surface (labour costs, maintenance equipment and periodic re-seeding/sand/nutrients etc) per annum versus the total costs of an artificial pitch (purchase costs, installation costs, maintenance costs including labour, equipment and materials) and also taking into account the revenue that could be obtained from hiring out the carpet (whereas its difficult to hire out the grass pitch due to the increased wear effects) and the extra costs/lost income of the grass surface being unplayable in winter conditions.  The net result being that we ended up with a carpet.

Now of course, several years on the club will have real figures (rather than future projections) to hand of the various costs and additional rental revenues to consider when assessing what to do now - either go back to grass our buy a new magic carpet.  It's not rocket science as the saying goes - the figures will dictate the decision.  We might bump our gums if we don't like the final selection, but the financial aspects are probably key to the eventual decision.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Perhaps they did ... but aren't the same Raith Rovers facing some financial difficulties now?

If finances were no constraint we should be going for one of those fancy wooby doo hybrid grass/artificial pitches such as they have at Murrayfield and many of the top football clubs complete with huge robotic mobile sun lamps to ensure continued grass growth out of season - but that's fantasy land at our level.

So I'm sure that the club weighed up the total costs of a real grass surface (labour costs, maintenance equipment and periodic re-seeding/sand/nutrients etc) per annum versus the total costs of an artificial pitch (purchase costs, installation costs, maintenance costs including labour, equipment and materials) and also taking into account the revenue that could be obtained from hiring out the carpet (whereas its difficult to hire out the grass pitch due to the increased wear effects) and the extra costs/lost income of the grass surface being unplayable in winter conditions.  The net result being that we ended up with a carpet.

Now of course, several years on the club will have real figures (rather than future projections) to hand of the various costs and additional rental revenues to consider when assessing what to do now - either go back to grass our buy a new magic carpet.  It's not rocket science as the saying goes - the figures will dictate the decision.  We might bump our gums if we don't like the final selection, but the financial aspects are probably key to the eventual decision.

Think Raith are recovering from the Goodwillie fiasco and their owner wants to sell I think, which partly explains their finances, not sure how much of it would be to do with the expense of the pitch. Pretty sure we are expecting a big financial loss this year, so would imagine it will make the decision easy for the board to stick with Astro rather than ripping it all up to replace it with grass.