The Queen of the South thread

Currie is history for both of us now but you have to ask what both our managers seen in him in the first place. My opinion of him hasn't changed since the first time he played for us. Good shot stopper but decision making left a lot to be desired. Currie always seemed to let us down when it mattered and that for me was a clear indicator of a keeper who cannot and should not be playing football at our level. Good luck to the guy and good luck to EK if they ever get to a play off or the like.

4 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Currie is history for both of us now but you have to ask what both our managers seen in him in the first place. My opinion of him hasn't changed since the first time he played for us. Good shot stopper but decision making left a lot to be desired. Currie always seemed to let us down when it mattered and that for me was a clear indicator of a keeper who cannot and should not be playing football at our level. Good luck to the guy and good luck to EK if they ever get to a play off or the like.

Recruitment is one of the key requisites for a manager at our level, and it's one of the hardest to get right. Alas WG's squad is a reflection on his attributes in that respect. Often tended to rely on guys he already knew, which is sometimes perceived as a less risky road but can let you down - I've been guilty of similar myself over the years. Real shame, as a local lad we wanted him to succeed.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What's the story with Fox and going to see the World Cup?

I've missed this.  Am I being whoooshed?

The "story" doing the rounds is that the reason the loan was ended early was he flew off to the World Cup for December. As far as I'm aware it's not true though.

Like nearly everything else on the internet, someone says it once and everyone else then decides to repeat it as a fact.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The "story" doing the rounds is that the reason the loan was ended early was he flew off to the World Cup for December. As far as I'm aware it's not true though.

Like nearly everything else on the internet, someone says it once and everyone else then decides to repeat it as a fact.

Did I miss the announcement that Bange is away back to Blackpool.

He was never good enough amazed Dobbie recommended him  yet another signing Wullie got wrong ..

Wullie signed quantity rather than quality.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

He was never good enough amazed Dobbie recommended him  yet another signing Wullie got wrong ..

Wullie signed quantity rather than quality.

23 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

His loan was only until 8th January so not sure there was anything to announce.

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2022/september/01/ewan-bange-joins-queen-of-the-south-on-loan/

Yeah, he's gone back. There was no announcement. There maybe should have been but it was pretty much lost in the post match appointment of Marvin Bartley. There's a few we bits and pieces needing confirmed to be fair. I'll sort something out.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

To be fair to Gibson, you have to take some notice when a goal-scoring legend like Dobbie makes a striker recommendation to you; and especially when you are new to management.  The other side of the coin is that by taking Bange it was potentially opening up a possible future stream of alternative (to Scottish) young talent.  So you can see the logic.  In this case it didn't work out, most of these sort of loans don't, but every now and then you unearth a gem - an example being Izzy Jones the other year.

48 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

To be fair to Gibson, you have to take some notice when a goal-scoring legend like Dobbie makes a striker recommendation to you; and especially when you are new to management.  The other side of the coin is that by taking Bange it was potentially opening up a possible future stream of alternative (to Scottish) young talent.  So you can see the logic.  In this case it didn't work out, most of these sort of loans don't, but every now and then you unearth a gem - an example being Izzy Jones the other year.

Dobbie nipped into Palmerston for a quick visit earlier this week. 

22 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Was expecting some more movement in our squad. Bartley will no doubt be analysing our squad in training. But I would imagine these players will not want to take the drop down to part time. Here's hoping the new manager can install a bit of confidence into them and sort out our defence. 

Bartley's pretty upfront in the item in today's Courier, shape up or your out. Saying and doing of course are two different things, getting some of these "players" to leave voluntarily or finding someone like EK daft enough to pay money for them will prove difficult. 

21 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Bartley's pretty upfront in the item in today's Courier, shape up or your out. Saying and doing of course are two different things, getting some of these "players" to leave voluntarily or finding someone like EK daft enough to pay money for them will prove difficult. 

My only worry of  Bartley is  thinking that the likes of McKenna Hendrie McKay and many more  will get better with good coaching .

They will all look good in training but it is in games that they disappear and get bullied .

Some of our squad just don't have the aggression to win games of football 

We are still desperate for a experienced aggressive centre half who is a leader at the back until we get that we will struggle.

We need more pace as well  we are far to slow  passing the ball 

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Are we owed any money if Dykes moves on again? Millwall have had a £3m bid rejected, and Stoke are after him according to a few of the papers

I think the way it usually works is we’d get a percentage of any potential sell on fee Livingston have agreed. If Livingston have a 10% sell on, and got £300k (may be less if sale on is just based on profit), and we had a 10% sell on we’d get £30k. Hypothetical figures clearly. 

7 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

I think the way it usually works is we’d get a percentage of any potential sell on fee Livingston have agreed. If Livingston have a 10% sell on, and got £300k (may be less if sale on is just based on profit), and we had a 10% sell on we’d get £30k. Hypothetical figures clearly. 

Yeah thought as much, I thought Livi had 20% on the sale, so we would have same. So say he goes for £4m (been quoted) that’s £160,000 for us. Obviously Livi need to have that 20% in the first place. Tidy sum though if we can get it.

5 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Are we owed any money if Dykes moves on again? Millwall have had a £3m bid rejected, and Stoke are after him according to a few of the papers

You don't think his ex boss the Beale fella would fancy him leading the loyal line in Govan?