The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Still got your Livingston loans to come but looking at your starting line up yesterday there's too much to be done in the one window. 

Gibson signed far too much guff in the summer.

I'm not convinced there will be many, if any. You'll get Kabia if we can't offload him, but I think it's likely that he moves somewhere else permanently.

Other than that, there are no real candidates unless other loans get recalled. Maybe Cancar, but I'd assume we'd be looking to get him to a championship club rather than L1.

Hibs supporting friend has sent me a message this morning saying Hanlon has been told he is free to go and the rumour is a 6 month loan deal to us. 

Sounds a bit far fetched considering he has played most games for them this season. We will be the easy rumour shout just now but he would be an excellent player at league 1 level and would imagine he will have better offers than us. Maybe just a rumour but sounds plausible, it’s on twitter and two hibs message boards so it must be true 😝

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Hibs supporting friend has sent me a message this morning saying Hanlon has been told he is free to go and the rumour is a 6 month loan deal to us. 

Sounds a bit far fetched considering he has played most games for them this season. We will be the easy rumour shout just now but he would be an excellent player at league 1 level and would imagine he will have better offers than us. Maybe just a rumour but sounds plausible, it’s on twitter and two hibs message boards so it must be true 😝

Much as he’s exactly what we need, I can’t see him dropping to league one, let alone a team sitting 8th. 

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

That is exactly the type of loan signing we need but can't see it happening he will not want to drop to League 1 and Hibs would still have to pay a huge amount of his wages .

Think every availble Hibs and Livi player will now get linked with us 

17 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

That is exactly the type of loan signing we need but can't see it happening he will not want to drop to League 1 and Hibs would still have to pay a huge amount of his wages .

Think every availble Hibs and Livi player will now get linked with us 

Could not agree more a proper defender. But as you say if he was available I think teams in the premie league and championship would be interested in him. 

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I know we are going to be linked with most Hibs players who are leaving, so take it with a pinch of salt, but got told we are trying to get Stevenson as well

Both targets seem extremely fanciful, and I'm reminded of the time when we were rumoured to be signing Rob Lee back in the Iain Scott days, but what a pair of signings they would be.  

43 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Is Bange away back to Blackpool .?

Dobbie has a lot of work to do with him he never got anywhere near the level we needed could say that about most of Wullie signings .

Yes he's away. Not sure he really got the chance to show if he was near the level we want, half a dozen 15 - 20 minute cameo roles and a  first half 45 minutes at home against Falkirk where admittedly he struggled to make an impact, plus some reserve outings. A bit of a wasted loan for all parties imo. Maybe if he'd been given a run of a few games he might have shown something positive. I'd be surprised if Dobbie recommended him if he didn't think he had something to offer. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Some punctuation deleted for Greenacres benefit.

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Scott Fox signs for us on an 18 month deal. Heard he played a few games for you. Thoughts? Can't have impressed given his short stay.

You've got big Dabrowski now who is a fantastic loan.

I liked him. Did absolutely nothing wrong. I think that is a good signing for you 👍

9 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Scott Fox signs for us on an 18 month deal. Heard he played a few games for you. Thoughts?

I think that you'll find a lot of us will think that you've made a good signing. He did very little wrong as far as I can remember.

1 minute ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

I liked him. Did absolutely nothing wrong. I think that is a good signing for you 👍

McKenzie is clearly out of favour with Hartley and likely away imo. Fox will be an upgrade on Gourlay who is improving but still prone to a mishap 

6 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

I think that you'll find a lot of us will think that you've made a good signing. He did very little wrong as far as I can remember.

I'd take Dabrowski instead any day. Hope he excels with you lads. By the sounds of it he's going to leave Hibs at the end of the season. Would be a strong signing if Bartley can pull it off.

22 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Scott Fox signs for us on an 18 month deal. Heard he played a few games for you. Thoughts? Can't have impressed given his short stay.

Looked a lot more calm and composed than calamity Currie, only thing that annoyed me about Fox was how long he took with his distribution, but still a good keeper.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Decent signing. Absolutely farcical that Currie was constantly picked ahead of him. There's no World Cups coming up so you should get his undivided attention. 

On 17/01/2023 at 17:43, CoveRangers1922 said:

Only left us as he never told club he was off to the World Cup 

15 hours ago, trotsky27 said:

Only left us as he never told club he was off to the World Cup 

Think if I was 2nd choice to Max Currie I would leave as well .

Scott Fox decent keeper no more than that can't remember him making any great saves in his few games  with us.

Hopefully Kev is better .Think it will be next week before any more loans come in as clubs find out who is leaving .

We really need to try and get players out but it is not easy as most  players wil want to stay full time 

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Think if I was 2nd choice to Max Currie I would leave as well .

Scott Fox decent keeper no more than that can't remember him making any great saves in his few games  with us.

Hopefully Kev is better .Think it will be next week before any more loans come in as clubs find out who is leaving .

We really need to try and get players out but it is not easy as most  players wil want to stay full time 

You're 2nd choice to Max Currie. Cheerio. 🙂

Scott Fox is another of those players who gets better every time he didn't play. I understand the clamour for him was because fans didn't like Currie. The Currie signing didn't work out as well as anyone hoped but he certainly wasn't helped by what was in front of him. When you're not a "big" goalkeeper you are looking for your centre halves to go attack balls in the air. Ours didn't. Max Currie is pretty agile and made a lot of very good reaction saves (and was very good at penalties) but he certainly doesn't dominate his box or take crosses.

Ultimately Fox played 4 games for us. A 4-1 win over Edinburgh where the only thing he had to do was face an injury time penalty (which he didn't get near). A 1-1 draw with Alloa where we utterly dominated and the only thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the net when they equalised with a very late header. Then the 3-3 draw at Airdrie followed by the 1-0 loss at Kelty. He lost his place after that as he was ill and Currie got a clean sheet in his absence and didn't do much wrong in the next few games before there was a parting of ways.

Fox might be the next Craig Gordon for an Indian summer in a goalkeeping career but I'm not sure you can tell much from his 4 games with us. I could have played in goal for the first two and the results would have been the same and I think he might have done better with the Alloa header. I didn't think he covered himself in glory in either the Airdrie or Kelty games to be honest. The only goal at Kelty was a daisycutter from outside the box that wasn't right in the corner but went in anyway. He didn't have any chance with Airdrie's 3rd but the first seemed to go through him a bit from my angle and the 2nd was a near post Fordyce header from about 5 yards he neither came for nor got down to.

I'm not sure that Charlie Cowie is any worse than either of them to be honest. Pretty confident Dabrowski will be a massive upgrade on both Currie and Fox having seen him once.

I don't think it was only Currie's goalkeeping ability that set a lot of fans against him (although we were well warned by Airdrie fans of his weaknesses when he signed), I think it was because he came across as just a bit of a twat.