The Queen of the South thread

Couple of things. Is East injured? Many here were saying he was one of our better defenders. If so, how come he can't get picked?

Reilly has always struck me as a confidence player. I think that is his problem at the moment - he has little. I remember seeing him with the fans at the Hibs Cup game a few years back (Dobbie's return) even though he had moved to Hearts so he obviously still cared about the club and team. I suspect he will know he is not firing and that won't be helping him. If you can work on sorting that he may start scoring.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He's only 29.

The main issue is that he just quite simply, isn't very good. 

That's pretty much it. Understandably you'd imagine Queens fans have a different perspective on him due to the goals he scored for them last time. Looking at his goals per game is pretty pointless given how many sub appearances he has, but if you look at his career since leaving Queens he averages 4.5 league goals a season. Obviously all that is at slightly higher level but it shows that apart from a couple of seasons early in his career he's not some prolific goalscorer. League 1 has also improved a lot from his last spell down here. I've not seen enough to know whether he has lost that bit of sharpness too but if he has then it's not hard to see how he isn't living up to expectations.

33 minutes ago, Honky Tonk Man said:

Couple of things. Is East injured? Many here were saying he was one of our better defenders. If so, how come he can't get picked?

Reilly has always struck me as a confidence player. I think that is his problem at the moment - he has little. I remember seeing him with the fans at the Hibs Cup game a few years back (Dobbie's return) even though he had moved to Hearts so he obviously still cared about the club and team. I suspect he will know he is not firing and that won't be helping him. If you can work on sorting that he may start scoring.

He’s just coming back from injury I think. He is our best defender, him beside Brydon should be our new partnership.

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

He’s just coming back from injury I think. He is our best defender, him beside Brydon should be our new partnership.

Just get McKenna to f**k. I was quite happy when we brought him in, thinking we wouldn’t be so stupid to rely on him at right back. How wrong was I? Horrendous

8 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Just get McKenna to f**k. I was quite happy when we brought him in, thinking we wouldn’t be so stupid to rely on him at right back. How wrong was I? Horrendous

Yeah I agree. It’s confusing I seen him a few times for Thistle last year and he always looked alright, never seemed to be getting exposed in the league above, yet he comes here and has shockers every week.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf Dobbie was forever getting criticised as Captain as well. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad who is particularly vocal (loud) throughout a game so it makes sense to go with an experienced head. 

That is one of our problems we have no leaders on the park .

We are desperate for a leader at the back Brydon said in his interview he could learn from Liam Fontaine at Edinburgh somehow we need to get that type of defender in aggressive and has experience at the top level. 

Bartley can coach the majority of our squad every day for the next fortnight it will make no difference they just don't have it .

So that's Marvin's first real game in charge then and he'll now be starting to grasp first hand where our problems lie.  Fair play he's started to address the issues and I'm sure we will see more movement before the end of the window - but we know this is a big squad so he will also have to negotiate some exits too.  Despite the clamour for wide spread changes it just isn't achievable in this window alone, this will take the summer break to sort out as well.

As others have said I'd also like to see big East back in central defence sooner than later - maybe he is not quite back to full fitness?

We're also hampered by potentially important midfield/front players such as Wilson, Connelly and Cochrane being injury prone - they don't seem able to put together a continuous run of games.  It could be argued that we knew that prior to signing them (well, in Wilson and Cochrane's case anyway).

There's no doubt that Reilly isn't the player we had first time around (isn't that often the case with returning players - with the exception of signor Dobbaldinho) but then he was playing in a better side then which helps.  When I have seen Reilly this season he has at least worked his socks off for the team, even if things haven't been going for him.  I didn't see the game yesterday though.

Summary - this ain't going to be a quick fix and this season may well now be in the bin already.

Big East (has his Injury made him bigger  be lucky if he is 6 feet) is not the answer .

He is our best defender but with the likes of McKenna Hendrie and McKays that means nothing.

He is not the experienced aggressive centre half we need .

Your summary is spot on this season is past saving impossible to change a squad in 2 weeks no idea how Wullie Gibson thought the majority of his signing were good enough for League 1.

21 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Still got your Livingston loans to come but looking at your starting line up yesterday there's too much to be done in the one window. 

Gibson signed far too much guff in the summer.

It’s a sorry state of affairs when all our best players were signed under AJ

20 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Still got your Livingston loans to come but looking at your starting line up yesterday there's too much to be done in the one window. 

Gibson signed far too much guff in the summer.

Not only signed a weak defence but weakened it further by not playing the best right sided defender on the books, ie himself. 

McKenna is not the answer at right back everyone has said he is a better centre back from previous clubs however I do not think he is strong enough to play there. As Bartley said in his interview we cannot keep making these mistakes but McKenna has played almost every game he is available. I would rather play Muir at RB if we cannot sign one this window. The manager has a job on his hand trying to move people out of the club this window unless they are willing to drop down to part time football. I think we give the manager these few months to implement everything he wants to do and start his recruitment for next season. Spend his budget wisely not sign as many players as WG did. Rather quality over quantity. We will see who has the appetite to play for our club over the next few months. 

52 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

McKenna is not the answer at right back everyone has said he is a better centre back from previous clubs however I do not think he is strong enough to play there. As Bartley said in his interview we cannot keep making these mistakes but McKenna has played almost every game he is available. I would rather play Muir at RB if we cannot sign one this window. The manager has a job on his hand trying to move people out of the club this window unless they are willing to drop down to part time football. I think we give the manager these few months to implement everything he wants to do and start his recruitment for next season. Spend his budget wisely not sign as many players as WG did. Rather quality over quantity. We will see who has the appetite to play for our club over the next few months. 

100% agree about Muir.  This season is done barring losing every game or going on an incredible run. 

We won’t do the latter with McKenna anywhere near the team, drop him and give Muir a run. We develop our own young player and if he isn’t better than McKenna initially there is a good chance he will improve with playing at the higher level as he looks like he has the ability. He looked  brilliant away at Ayr in his cameo and I am extremely surprised he hasn’t been involved much more since. If it does turn out that Muir isn’t actually the answer we won’t have lost anything and can sign someone else in the summer. 

12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Just because you don't bawl and bark instructions at your teammates or do the John Terry standing and pointing routine doesn't mean you aren't a good captain.  As 19QOS19 says Todd is always having a quiet word with players throughout games.  Maybe, knowing the players as he does, he thinks this is a better approach given the relatively low age and seemingly fragile confidence in the squad?

If the softly softly approach is favoured then it's clearly not working 

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Todd's a perfectly good captain

I must disagree on this point - it is clear that we completely lack on- field leadership. It has been blatantly obvious from the Clyde/Annan defeats at the start of the season and nothing has changed in this regard. Early leads are squandered tamely, heads go down in unison when things go against the team and  we seldom ever come back from a goal down to win. 

FT team in 8th place in League 1, negative goal difference, 19 points behind leaders. Todd is one of our better players but this squad is soft, easily bullied and the captain has to shoulder a big element of responsibility for this.

Will be astounded if Bartley doesn’t replace Todd as Captain.

Back to the Muir point. McKenna had no positional sense, can’t tackle and can’t use his head. He has made countless mistakes and should never get near another Queens squad. Muir in now and sign a big aggressive centre half if not in Scotland then from England’s lower/ non league

43 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must disagree on this point - it is clear that we completely lack on- field leadership. It has been blatantly obvious from the Clyde/Annan defeats at the start of the season and nothing has changed in this regard. Early leads are squandered tamely, heads go down in unison when things go against the team and  we seldom ever come back from a goal down to win. 

FT team in 8th place in League 1, negative goal difference, 19 points behind leaders. Todd is one of our better players but this squad is soft, easily bullied and the captain has to shoulder a big element of responsibility for this.

Feel free to disagree. I'd be disappointed if we didn't. Todd didn't even play in that Clyde game but don't let it stop you from blaming him for it somehow!

52 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

As I asked someone else: with who? Unless he has someone in mind to bring in I'm not sure who's a better candidate within the club. 

In general I think it's a thankless task anyway with this rabble. I think our Captain is way down the list of problems.