The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aaron Muirhead hits them for the clubs he's played at. A striker doesn't necessarily mean they're the best option for hitting penalties. 

Harsh on Todd. He talks throughout the game tbh. 

We must be missing something at the games then. No authority and no presence on the pitch that players look for.

13 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Fair enough Todd as Cpt stood up and took it, but he never oozes confidence in front of goal... As for talking throughout the game, A must be deaf then, cause for me he gives very little vocally as Captain... 

7 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

We must be missing something at the games then. No authority and no presence on the pitch that players look for.

If you can't see it I'd suggest you spend 5 minutes watching him at the next game. He doesn't scream at players; nor does a Captain need to, but he talks to the players throughout the game. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you can't see it I'd suggest you spend 5 minutes watching him at the next game. He doesn't scream at players; nor does a Captain need to, but he talks to the players throughout the game. 

The only time I see him saying anything to any players at games is when something goes wrong. Like at the Alloa goal at Palmerston when he had a go at Hendrie. 

2 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

The only time I see him saying anything to any players at games is when something goes wrong. Like at the Alloa goal at Palmerston when he had a go at Hendrie. 

As I say, the next game have a wee watch at him to see him speaking to players. 

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Gavin has never been a penalty taker in any of his spells with us or anyone else as far as I know. He didn't even take one in the Hearts shoot out a few years ago when he was on the pitch.  

Did he not take penalties initially when he joined Hearts?  I seem to remember him scoring one, then missing another.

I think he scored for us in the Ramsden's shoot-out at Ibrox.

Your point obviously stands though that penalty takers needn't be attackers.

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Afraid Todd ain't Captain material never mind penalty taker, Why would Gav not be on penalties? He is the striker that's ment to get us goals.... 🤷‍♂️

I think the lack of obvious leaders is a big problem. As an experienced player, Todd, on paper, made sense but not convinced he's most vocal on pitch.

Not sure of logic of thinking that being a striker means Reilly should be on pens.

Leighton Baines scored 20 out of 22 penalties he took in Premiership. By your logic, based on that 91% record, Stephen Hendrie should be taking our pens. 

Just because you don't bawl and bark instructions at your teammates or do the John Terry standing and pointing routine doesn't mean you aren't a good captain.  As 19QOS19 says Todd is always having a quiet word with players throughout games.  Maybe, knowing the players as he does, he thinks this is a better approach given the relatively low age and seemingly fragile confidence in the squad?

Edited by Slipmat

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did he not take penalties initially when he joined Hearts?  I seem to remember him scoring one, then missing another.

I think he scored for us in the Ramsden's shoot-out at Ibrox.

Your point obviously stands though that penalty takers needn't be attackers.

Reilly scored a penalty at Ibrox in Challenge Cup and also scored in the penalty shoot out in the final v Patrick Thistle.

He was deservedly sitting in the stand by the time we got a penalty today. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Reilly scored a penalty at Ibrox in Challenge Cup and also scored in the penalty shoot out in the final v Patrick Thistle.

He did. And he hammered both straight down the middle with the Ibrox one highly fortunate to go in. He also didnt take one at Hearts despite being on the pitch. But he took the first v Kelty on Tuesday. He's never been our penalty taker 'in play' though in either of his spells. I'm not having a go at Gavin here incidentally, but he doesnt particularly strike me as someone who wants the job and the narrative that he 'should' be on them is pretty groundless.

That said I think @Monkey Tennis is right that he took 2 or 3 for Hearts. Did ge take for St Mirren too? 

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aaron Muirhead hits them for the clubs he's played at. A striker doesn't necessarily mean they're the best option for hitting penalties. 

Harsh on Todd. He talks throughout the game tbh. 

35 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nonsense. Todd's a perfectly good captain. He's not Chris Higgins right enough but he's as good as any other recent captain, including Wullie and Dobbie.

Todd may talk throughout the game but I don't think he's a leader or motivator during games. Recent examples that spring to mind and both fairly similar that I particularly noticed. During that last utterly dreadful game V Clyde there was a fairly lengthy stoppage in play as two players were being treated for injury, Queens players were standing about in small groups, Captain Todd was standing in the centre circle (on his Todd) not interacting with anyone. When the team's performing as bad as we were that day I would expect the captain to be going round these groups and geeing them up, trying to lift them from the lethargy, but he just stood there hands on hips. Similar in the next home game V Alloa, another break in play and he's standing in a world of his own, not getting involved with teammates, not going to the bench for instructions, he's just not a commanding figure. I'm sure if Wullie or Dobbie or JT had been in that position they would have been actively putting their points across to teammates. 

13 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Just because you don't bawl and bark instructions at your teammates or do the John Terry standing and pointing routine doesn't mean you aren't a good captain.  As 19QOS19 says Todd is always having a quiet word with players throughout games.  Maybe, knowing the players as he does, he thinks this is a better approach given the relatively low age and seemingly fragile confidence in the squad?

Todd is well capable of having a go at players when they need it too.

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Todd may talk throughout the game but I don't think he's a leader or motivator during games. Recent examples that spring to mind and both fairly similar that I particularly noticed. During that last utterly dreadful game V Clyde there was a fairly lengthy stoppage in play as two players were being treated for injury, Queens players were standing about in small groups, Captain Todd was standing in the centre circle (on his Todd) not interacting with anyone. When the team's performing as bad as we were that day I would expect the captain to be going round these groups and geeing them up, trying to lift them from the lethargy, but he just stood there hands on hips. Similar in the next home game V Alloa, another break in play and he's standing in a world of his own, not getting involved with teammates, not going to the bench for instructions, he's just not a commanding figure. I'm sure if Wullie or Dobbie or JT had been in that position they would have been actively putting their points across to teammates. 

Tbf Dobbie was forever getting criticised as Captain as well. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad who is particularly vocal (loud) throughout a game so it makes sense to go with an experienced head. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf Dobbie was forever getting criticised as Captain as well. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad who is particularly vocal (loud) throughout a game so it makes sense to go with an experienced head. 

We do now! If being loud is grounds for captaincy I assume Dobrowski will have the armband by Peterhead!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

If we go down the line of saying that the more vocal you are the better your leadership is we should have given Kenny Brannigan a lifetime managerial contract.

My point was more to do with the fact that when your team is playing as shit as it was V Clyde, for example, you want your captain to be seen trying to motivate them, or at least talking to them rather than standing about like a stookie. It doesn't have to be loud or aggressive either, just get involved. 

37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He did. And he hammered both straight down the middle with the Ibrox one highly fortunate to go in. He also didnt take one at Hearts despite being on the pitch. But he took the first v Kelty on Tuesday. He's never been our penalty taker 'in play' though in either of his spells. I'm not having a go at Gavin here incidentally, but he doesnt particularly strike me as someone who wants the job and the narrative that he 'should' be on them is pretty groundless.

That said I think @Monkey Tennis is right that he took 2 or 3 for Hearts. Did ge take for St Mirren too? 

Just to be clear I’m not putting Reilly forward as a penalty taker for us just looking to add some detail to a discussion. He’d be well down any list I’d be producing. 
As an aside I thought he offered very little today. I’m not a regular attender but others would suggest that’s nothing new in this spell. I was pleased when we signed him but he would seem to have been a disappointment thus far. 

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just to be clear I’m not putting Reilly forward as a penalty taker for us just looking to add some detail to a discussion. He’s be well down any list I’d be producing. 
As an aside I thought he offered very little today. I’m not a regular attender but others would suggest that’s nothing new in this spell. I was pleased when we signed him but he would seem to have been a disappointment thus far. 

I think it's much the same when you bring any player back who was a hit in their first spell, you expect them to be just as good. Unfortunately I think that time has understandably caught up with Reilly, he's lost a bit of pace, lost a bit of spring going for high balls. I agree he's been disappointing but we were maybe expecting too much in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think it's much the same when you bring any player back who was a hit in their first spell, you expect them to be just as good. Unfortunately I think that time has understandably caught up with Reilly, he's lost a bit of pace, lost a bit of spring going for high balls. I agree he's been disappointing but we were maybe expecting too much in the first place. 

Maybe albeit from memory the Morton fans view seemed to suggest they’d have been happy enough to keep him at a level up from this one. 
I thought he was really poor today. Was very surprised he stayed on as long as he did. Even accepting we had to chase the game and Montrose sat deeper I thought the changes improved us. 

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He's only 29.

The main issue is that he just quite simply, isn't very good.