The Queen of the South thread

Marvin certainly needs a to act quick to strengthen the team, a Goalkeeper opossibky Fox returning & a wonder if marv will bring Phillip Cancar young Aussie CB from Livi on loan with him... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Marvin certainly needs a to act quick to strengthen the team, a Goalkeeper opossibky Fox returning & a wonder if marv will bring Phillip Cancar young Aussie CB from Livi on loan with him... 

a think we will deffo sign cancar for centre half another possibility could be jack hamilton he seems to be 3rd choice keeper at livi  good experience with hearts Dundee and Morton 

12 minutes ago, trotsky27 said:

a think we will deffo sign cancar for centre half another possibility could be jack hamilton he seems to be 3rd choice keeper at livi  good experience with hearts Dundee and Morton 

Good god no! 

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Better to hire a potential failure than a proven one.

Hes been talked up for ages as one who'd be a success so interested to see how he gets on. 

Added to that, if there's ever an ideal time to take that gamble on a first time manager it's exactly when you're in Queen of the South's current position. Having a dreadful season where it's hard to imagine the new appointment being much worse, but relegation is nevertheless nigh on impossible and an unforeseen improvement could make the playoffs realistic.

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Added to that, if there's ever an ideal time to take that gamble on a first time manager it's exactly when you're in Queen of the South's current position. Having a dreadful season where it's hard to imagine the new appointment being much worse, but relegation is nevertheless nigh on impossible and an unforeseen improvement could make the playoffs realistic.

All true.

It does probably make it quite attractive for someone at his stage.  Things can't realistically get a lot worse this season given the size of the gap beneath us.  The scope for improvement, however, is massive.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

^^^ This. 👍

The fact the club have appointed “an outsider” in many ways feels more important than the person they have appointed. Bartley being a well spoken, well thought of coach with a lot of promise almost feels like a bonus. I was fully expecting either Murray or McIntyre to land the job given the board’s previous.

As with all appointments there is plenty of scope for it to go pear shaped, but it feels like an exciting appointment and excitement is not an emotion Queens fans have felt for several years now.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Flapjack, as he's affectionately known by fans of those clubs?

Incorrect about Morton fans. He was excellent for us and fully earned his step back up a league.

Solid appointment for QOS against all the other dreadful possibilities out there.

Bartley seemed next in line for a management gig but thought it would be further up the leagues.

If he has any of the same attitude and impact as Imrie has had with us then you will love him.

Hopefully he gets you moving in the right direction and gets you above Falkirk ASAP.

Jaze Kabia was OK at that level for Falkirk. You can have him on loan.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Incorrect about Morton fans. He was excellent for us and fully earned his step back up a league.

Solid appointment for QOS against all the other dreadful possibilities out there.

Bartley seemed next in line for a management gig but thought it would be further up the leagues.

If he has any of the same attitude and impact as Imrie has had with us then you will love him.

Hopefully he gets you moving in the right direction and gets you above Falkirk ASAP.

Bound to get a couple from yous? Brandon?

45 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I very much doubt that the Morton defence that Imrie inherited was anywhere near as gash as the imposters that Bartley has got to work with. It's really only the defence he has to sort though imo, I don't think there's a great deal of work needed done further forward so that's a good thing. 

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I very much doubt that the Morton defence that Imrie inherited was anywhere near as gash as the imposters that Bartley has got to work with. It's really only the defence he has to sort though imo, I don't think there's a great deal of work needed done further forward so that's a good thing. 

Not convinced it's just defense that's the problem. Midfield collapsed yesterday and there's work to be done in front of goal. 

They need to sort the fitness out. We should have the legs on most part time teams.  

Just to add as well. We badly lack height and physical presence. 

Edited by Kunter

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

Not convinced it's just defense that's the problem. Midfield collapsed yesterday and there's work to be done in front of goal. 

They need to sort the fitness out. We should have the legs on most part time teams.  

I would expect a total different approach from Bartley. Increase fitness levels,  and sort defence out we can only improve. We need a leader on the park. The defending yesterday was just the same as the rest of the season. We have a group of defenders who don't defend have no aggression and are caught out in their positioning so often. I don't imagine Bartley will have a budget to get rid of all of them but feel at least 2 new defenders plus East to return. The problem we have is no one will take any of them off us. Midfield wise we have some good footballers but only Wilson has any dig to him. We have to many  similar players in my opinion. Connelly and Murray good going forward but poor defensively. McKechnie should have been utilised more even to give us the pace angle on the opposite side from young Gibson who has been a revelation this year. Upfront Paton has scored a good few goals but he takes 3 or 4 chances to score 1. Reilly has disappointed. Ruth and Irving not what we need just now. Bange was never given a chance.

I have always like Muir and was disappointed WG let him go on loan as he is a far better player than McKenna on the right.

If we could sign 2 defenders a midfielder and a forward I feel we would improve. 

We only a couple of these players in contract next year. P McKay Ian Wilson and Gavin Reilly are the only players I can think are contracted to next year.

After a very poor first half of the season a lot of these players are playing for their future. I know there is a lot of them we do not want to see playing for us next year. But they need to improve enormously to convince Bartley they are part of his future team or give them a chance of being picked up by another club. 

I would keep.

Cowie, East, Todd, Wilson, McGrory, Connelly, Paton, Gibson, 

Although I would expect Paton to definitely move and young Gibson will be hot property I would imagine. 

All the young lads would benefit from loan moves to play regularly as well as playing for the reserves.

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I can't see Cancar being loaned out, unless Parkes is close to fitness but I don't think he is. Parkes has been out for over a year. Fitzwater is probably leaving so it's likely 1 in and 1 out, with us signing Luiyi De Lucas. If Fitzwater ends up staying I can see it but I imagine DM would prefer a higher level for Cancar. 

10 hours ago, trotsky27 said:

Our second choice keeper Konovalov wants away back to Russia, he almost left in the summer to go back but the deal fell through. He's absolutely shite anyway but still can't see it either. 

You're more likely to sign someone like Kabia if his loan is ended at Morton. Harrison Clark maybe too if his loan is ended at Stirling Albion, played 15 games or so and could take a step up possibly.

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

The gap between FT and PT sides is and has been minimal for years. It's really not like it was when we were PT.