The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

It's a bit of an urban myth that he was doing a sterling job as reserve manager.

His record managing in the reserve league and cup was won 1 drawn 2 lost 8, including a five game run without scoring.

Basically he was a slight improvement on Eddie Warwick, but that's not exactly a very high bar to meet.

Whilst those stats might be true, that's a bit harsh. The reserve team consisted mostly of very young boys who now find themselves in the Lowland or SoS leagues, plus Connor Murray and Tommy Goss. They were playing against many players who were on the verge of making it into Premier League first team squads. 

Under Eddie Warwick they looked set up for damage linitation, but regularly failed at that and were well beaten. When Wullie took over the mentality and playing style changed. Yes his team still got beaten, but the games were far more competitive. 4 and 5-0 defeats became 1-0 or 3-1 defeats. It was a big improvement.

Anyway, no point dwelling on this after what's happened since, but maybe a longer spell as a player whilst managing the reserves would've been the better path to take.

I suggested a wee while back that with the Beale fella re entering the dark gates of Govan, he might make a move to return L Dykes north of the border. I see that our reliable boys in the press are now talking about this possibly becoming reality. So begs the question ... would Queens still be in line for another slice of the pie, or was that a one off only event?

32 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I suggested a wee while back that with the Beale fella re entering the dark gates of Govan, he might make a move to return L Dykes north of the border. I see that our reliable boys in the press are now talking about this possibly becoming reality. So begs the question ... would Queens still be in line for another slice of the pie, or was that a one off only event?

If he goes for more than QPR paid for him, Livi have a sell on %, so we’d get a bit of that. Can’t see it being much though. 

14 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

All I want for Christmas is a new manager, new goalkeeper, back 4, some wingers with pace and another striking option. 

Think you might have to settle for a partridge in a pear tree 🎄

39 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

If he goes for more than QPR paid for him, Livi have a sell on %, so we’d get a bit of that. Can’t see it being much though. 

Aye, sounds about right.

Just now, Otis Blue said:

Aye, sounds about right.

Best case is if Q.P.R. ever  get into the Premiership we and Livi get a massive bonus but that does not look likely .

We will get a cut again of any fee surely Dykes will go for more than the 2 million they payed for him  

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

QPR have just missed out on Matej Vydra which suggests they are needing another striker. I'd be surprised if they were to let Dykes go. 

27 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

All I want for Christmas is a new manager, new goalkeeper, back 4, some wingers with pace and another striking option. 

Yes, something along the lines of how we finished last season - Rae in goals and a back four of Gibson, O'Connor, East and Cooper. They were a reasonably tight unit for the last few games - certainly better than any combination so far this season.

Sir Stephen Dobbie features in *The Sun's* A to Z today talking about his career.  Asked if he would Manage Queens one day he replied "Let's just wait and see". He loves this Club. 

*It was someone else's paper, I definetely didn't buy it. *

In todays Sun paper Goals pull out good interview with  Dobbie he is asked if he would manage Queens some day 

Well,let's wait and  see was his reply .

I think if he is offered it right now he would take it.

Not sure if Dobbie would make a good manager he is  too nice can't see him motivating players.

2 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

In todays Sun paper Goals pull out good interview with  Dobbie he is asked if he would manage Queens some day 

Not sure if Dobbie would make a good manager he is  too nice can't see him motivating players.

Just look above your post, already been covered. 

24 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

You cannot manage a full time football club in Scotland whilst living in England. Gavin Skelton very quickly realised it wasnt doable and he was an hour closer than Dobbie. He'd need to move home which would be surprising for such a transient position.

He decided not to move North when playing. His family is settled there, his youngest is in Blackpool's youth academy. He has a reasonable level job there already with the prospect of moving up the English ladder. Stranger things have happened but it seems unlikely for now.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

How long is East out for? Surely Quitongo has to start the next game. There is not one of our defenders who are willing to put in a proper challenge. The McKays and McKenna are really poor defenders. We are stuck with them for this season as I don't imagine whoever comes in will have a lot of money to bring in players. Bring young Muir back and play him at right back. Maybe even try a loan move for big O'Connor who is not getting a game at Morton. Paul McKay has a 2 year contract as well 🤯