The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, qos_75 said:

If the board only found out yesterday,  they really are living on a different planet. I am sure it was mentioned on here at the time. 

This.

I'm a million miles from being in the know, but I first heard about it back in August, the same day we played Rangers.  It's also been a thinly veiled topic on here and is something that loads of people in town, whether Queens fans or not, have been talking about.

It's inconceivable that anyone with a say, has just recently learned of the allegation.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

As I said before the sacking, the board were in a no win situation here, and reading the comments cements this.

If results had us sat at the top of the table it would have been a huge ask but aggravated racism at anytime, not just football isn't tolerated.  Yes he hasn't had his trial yet, however we all know this mud sticks guilty or not guilty.  The club, results focused or not, have to think in the best interests here and with an important window coming up, would a) clubs set for loaning to us or b) players themselves engage with a club in the midst of this trial coming up?

I am completely gutted for WG to be losing his job as he is a true Queens fan but as a 'business' you cannot blame the board 

2 hours ago, Baghdad_QoS said:

As I said before the sacking, the board were in a no win situation here, and reading the comments cements this.

If results had us sat at the top of the table it would have been a huge ask but aggravated racism at anytime, not just football isn't tolerated.  Yes he hasn't had his trial yet, however we all know this mud sticks guilty or not guilty.  The club, results focused or not, have to think in the best interests here and with an important window coming up, would a) clubs set for loaning to us or b) players themselves engage with a club in the midst of this trial coming up?

I am completely gutted for WG to be losing his job as he is a true Queens fan but as a 'business' you cannot blame the board 

Is he actually a Queens fan though? Seen a few saying it but I've never really thought of him like that. 

2 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Back to Stranraer 

Or Clyde if convicted. 

56 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Is he actually a Queens fan though? Seen a few saying it but I've never really thought of him like that. 

He's been with us since his teens and given a large part of his playing career to us. I did see him in the past at Palmerston watching games when he was with other clubs. I don't think he'll necessarily be a fan in the traditional sense but he'll have a strong affinity with the club. It's a really sad end to his time with us tbh and if true what was said then he only has his own stupidity to blame for it. 

Being bored of the usual list of candidates touted, and trying some blue sky thinking - a name not being mentioned (and probably a very very long shot tbf) - that Tam Courts fella is back from Hungary and kicking his heels.  He took United to 4th in the top league before trying the Honved gig (was always going to be a very risky/short lived venture that).  Now the obvious view will be that we are now far too lowly for him to consider ... but he's someone who needs to boost his CV again if he's going to get another gig amongst the big boys.  He was only an academy coach at United before being promoted to the top job, so just maybe he'd tolerate a lower income/budget for a spell to demonstrate his capabilities again and resurrect his stalled career - might be a win-win for both parties?  Now, I have to admit I've no idea what he's like as a manager - would need some of our P&B Arab friends to enlighten us on that score.

Knowing Queens of course, as others have said, we'll probably take our usual simple route of just promoting Grant Murray.

Always gives me a sense of dread, promoting the Assistant of a "failed" Manager. I have the feeling that they are part of the problem of a team underperforming. Ok, the Manager has the final say but Murray was appointed for his experience so presumably Wullie consulted him on players, tactics, etc. 

Also, this situation is a bit similar to Magic getting the bullet when his son played for us, will Lewis Gibson show the same commitment that Max Johnston did at that time? 

35 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Being bored of the usual list of candidates touted, and trying some blue sky thinking - a name not being mentioned (and probably a very very long shot tbf) - that Tam Courts fella is back from Hungary and kicking his heels.  He took United to 4th in the top league before trying the Honved gig (was always going to be a very risky/short lived venture that).  Now the obvious view will be that we are now far too lowly for him to consider ... but he's someone who needs to boost his CV again if he's going to get another gig amongst the big boys.  He was only an academy coach at United before being promoted to the top job, so just maybe he'd tolerate a lower income/budget for a spell to demonstrate his capabilities again and resurrect his stalled career - might be a win-win for both parties?  Now, I have to admit I've no idea what he's like as a manager - would need some of our P&B Arab friends to enlighten us on that score.

Knowing Queens of course, as others have said, we'll probably take our usual simple route of just promoting Grant Murray.

One of my mates is a United fan so watched them a fair few times. He plays the most boring and unimaginative football on the planet. However, he was really keen on giving youth a chance which could come in handy for a club like us

6 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

One of my mates is a United fan so watched them a fair few times. He plays the most boring and unimaginative football on the planet. However, he was really keen on giving youth a chance which could come in handy for a club like us

Aye, now you mention it that rings a bell.  Not exactly inspiring, eh?  Was just trying to think who might be out there that don't find there way onto the usual "desperate candidates" list.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I do love the rumours when we lose a manager. Literally just been sent a text there from someone saying he'd heard Graham Alexander has been spotted in the town with QoS officials. 

Think he would cost too much anyway 

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I do love the rumours when we lose a manager. Literally just been sent a text there from someone saying he'd heard Graham Alexander has been spotted in the town with QoS officials. 

If SD was there with his briefcase. then it could be true. 

59 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What officials have we got? Dan and the guy who reads out the team line-ups?

57 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, brilliant ... maybe Ian (laptop) Cathro will join the rumours eventually too - although I think we're safe there as he's enjoying big bucks out in Saudi having followed Nuno Espirito Santo there from Wolves ... 😂