The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think if Queens appointed Kevin Thomson that would tip @19QOS19over the edge after listening to his ramblings on BT Sport.

Aye that's fair! Comes across as a complete fanny and his only success as a manager has been managing a side with a far superior squad than the competition. He won't have that luxury at us. 

None of the names are inspiring but as someone has said above I doubt it'll matter anyway as it's a stick on it'll be Murray. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Amen brother amen.

This should be the epitaph on the gravestone of every (non OF) fitba fan tbf.

Might be better to use “The light at the end of the tunnel is probably just an oncoming train”..not as succinct, but much more accurate and explanatory.

59 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Hewitson's statement that the decision over the sacking is purely results based doesn't wash at all given that results over the second quarter were an improvement on the first.

Had Wullie not been in court, his appearance being written about in the press and the fact it is going to trial I am 100% sure he would still be in the job tonight, especially given that he talked about having identified January signing targets in Saturday's post match interview which he would no doubt have discussed with the board.

Let's not pretend that this isn't all about damage limitation and protecting the reputation of the club.  If it was based on results and performance AJ would and should have been binned months before he got his jotters.

The board just can't bring themselves to reveal their real reasoning when making an important announcement and always leave more questions being asked than answered, can they?

Hope Murray isn't stinking the place out for too long.  I certainly wouldn't want him making our January signings?

I've no idea the real reason and just a passing observer, but I'm not sure about your point here. You picked up 10 points from the first 9 games and 13 from the second 9. Yes it's an improvement, but to improve on borderline relegation form by 3 points over a 9 game period is surely not enough to dismiss the idea out of hand that the sacking is due to results? Queens are on track to get 46 points, which last season was 5 points off 4th spot.

It's surely not unreasonable for a club to give a manager half a season and then before the transfer window look at the form as a whole and make a decision based on that?

Other factors may well have played a role but results wise I don't think he can have many complaints.

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I've no idea the real reason and just a passing observer, but I'm not sure about your point here. You picked up 10 points from the first 9 games and 13 from the second 9. Yes it's an improvement, but to improve on borderline relegation form by 3 points over a 9 game period is surely not enough to dismiss the idea out of hand that the sacking is due to results? Queens are on track to get 46 points, which last season was 5 points off 4th spot.

It's surely not unreasonable for a club to give a manager half a season and then before the transfer window look at the form as a whole and make a decision based on that?

Other factors may well have played a role but results wise I don't think he can have many complaints.

There’s absolutely no coincidence that Wullie was sacked a day after his court case became public knowledge. The club are using results and performances as an ideal excuse. 

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Might be better to use “The light at the end of the tunnel is probably just an oncoming train”..not as succinct, but much more accurate and explanatory.

Indeed ... I like it! 👍😂

37 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Why does Dumfries need so many Tesco’s. Is one not enough? You’ve only yourselves to blame. 

Cos ... Dumfries is the largest urban conurbation in the south of Scotland ... 🙄🫣

Edited by Otis Blue

10 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

There’s absolutely no coincidence that Wullie was sacked a day after his court case became public knowledge. The club are using results and performances as an ideal excuse. 

If Queens were flying at the top of the league would they have sacked him? I'd suggest almost certainly not which means the primary factor here is the poor results, not the court case.

I guess my point (not that I really had any, was just an observation) was that the club don't need an 'excuse', the results are a sackable offence alone given the pre-season expectations and the current reality.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm sure that Gibson would be the first to admit that results haven't met expectations or targets, but the board stuck by Allan Johnston for 2 and half seasons where we were second bottom and on a downward spiral at the time that the 2019/20 was prematurely terminated and only saved from relegation thanks to PPG, then 6th in 2020/21 thanks to a 9 game run inspired by Isaiah Jones arrival and an injury-forced change to playing Connor Shields as a CF instead of on the wing, and despite us being in the bottom two for the best part of four months last season (including the January window) it took until the end of February before he was sacked. 

Gibson was in the job for 9 months, so either the board have had a dramatic change of thinking in terms of setting a manager targets before punting them or something else was at play that they haven't directly mentioned in their statement... possibly as 19QOS19 to cover their backs legally.

20 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I'm sure that Gibson would be the first to admit that results haven't met expectations or targets, but the board stuck by Allan Johnston for 2 and half seasons where we were second bottom and on a downward spiral at the time that the 2019/20 was prematurely terminated and only saved from relegation thanks to PPG, then 6th in 2020/21 thanks to a 9 game run inspired by Isaiah Jones arrival and an injury-forced change to playing Connor Shields as a CF instead of on the wing, and despite us being in the bottom two for the best part of four months last season (including the January window) it took until the end of February before he was sacked. 

Gibson was in the job for 9 months, so either the board have had a dramatic change of thinking in terms of setting a manager targets before punting them or something else was at play that they haven't directly mentioned in their statement... possibly as 19QOS19 to cover their backs legally.

Absolutely this.

No court case and the board would have stuck by him. 

13 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He’s certainly a mixed big in terms of his record, but his latest go at this level went well. I don’t like the guy, but I think he’d get us to where we need to be. 

He’s a fuckin charlatan. Steer clear. 

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Names floating about already. Kevin Thomson, John Hughes, Jack Ross, Stephen Dobbie, Peter Murphy, Danny Lennon, Barry(haha) Ferguson, Alan Archibald, Paul Hartley to name but a few. Personally if he was willing to take it I would say Kevin Thomson but the dream would be Sir Stephen but would he tarnish or enhance his reputation with us. 

From that list:

Only Slightly Acceptable: Kevin Thomson (might lack experience) Jack Ross (might be too expensive) Peter Murphy (Does he want a full time gig? Would he travel to Hamilton for training?) Alan Archibald (probably happy enough coaching) 

Gettaefucks: J. Hughes, D. Lennon, P. Hartley

Double gettaefuck: Ferguson

In a perfect World: Stephen Dobbie (as has been said, let's remember him as a great player) 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Your central point is right here.  However, it's not unreasonable to assume that dramatic change in targets would indeed accompany a change in division.