The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I certainly don't disagree that we need some better defensive options but the reality is we have 5 CBs on the books. And other than East, none of them have been consistently good this season. I'm not sure I'd trust WG to find another one any better. We have arguably the best RB in the division and yet fail to play him for 'whatever reason'. 

My enthusiasm for the season has well and truly gone and I really wouldn't care if the BoD failed to release funds for WG to piss up against the wall and instead kept it for next season.

Get through this shitshow of a failure, take our 8th place finish, get a new man in next season and try and build for a title challenge. 

Would agree. It's a shite state of affairs and this post is bleak but it's sadly accurate too.

On 18/12/2022 at 14:26, Manwithnoball said:

After watching WG interview he says we need to strengthen in January. I don't imagine the board will back that. He has a ridiculous size squad for this level. To make changes to the squad he will have to move people out. Bange will go back to Blackpool. Some will go out on loan. I think it would be beneficial to let McKechnie go on loan as he obviously is not part of WG plans. The young boys would be better going and playing than sitting in stand. I think we need two proper CB a right back a dominant goalkeeper but I expect we will only get a couple of players maximum. The time has come to start playing his best 11 and not chopping and changing to keep players on side.

The really sad thing is I didn’t think it would end up like it has. I was reasonably optimistic back in July, maybe not winning the league but up there in the top 4 with consistent good performances. Number of players have really played below par and WG has made some strange decisions. Never saw Edinburgh, Alloa or Montrose doing as well as they have. Feel really deflated about the whole season, and Sat was really the end for me, prob the worst i felt about Queens since the 80s.

36 minutes ago, sneeuq said:

The really sad thing is I didn’t think it would end up like it has. I was reasonably optimistic back in July, maybe not winning the league but up there in the top 4 with consistent good performances. Number of players have really played below par and WG has made some strange decisions. Never saw Edinburgh, Alloa or Montrose doing as well as they have. Feel really deflated about the whole season, and Sat was really the end for me, prob the worst i felt about Queens since the 80s.

I am the same I got a season ticket when the feel good factor was there in the summer but now the joy of going to Palmerston has slowly been knocked out of me .

We had under 900 on Saturday fans are disappearing as quick as the Queens defence .

At least I have the Stephen Dobbie day to look forward to.

13 hours ago, sneeuq said:

Extremely depressing. We have signed several duds and many of them feature regularly in the starting line up despite us having a very large squad!! The tactics and formations deployed do not make good use of the strengths that we have and frankly trying to see out a 1-0 lead at home to Kelty in another" must win" match is pathetic. We have plenty of technically gifted players but their heads drop at the same time in the face of adversity. Wilson is a case in point - for long spells in a game he is invariably the stand out player on the park. Sadly, we seldom maximise his impact and then all of a sudden the game starts to pass him by and he becomes another passenger. You only need to look at his win;draw;lose stats in all games with Queens to see what I mean. With his talent he should have been a permanent fixture in the Killie team by now but he doesn't appear to have that "winning ingredient" that separates the modest from the winners. We have several others in a similar bracket. We would just about get away with these frailties at this level if we had a good GK and solid central defenders but unfortunately that is the weakest area of the team. It makes the game management tactics that were deployed on Saturday impossible to justify. I will keep making the same point - WG to RWB and Wilson, Todd and McGrory in central midfield would give us a decent platform to win multiple games at this level notwithstanding the weaknesses that we have elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Extremely depressing. We have signed several duds and many of them feature regularly in the starting line up despite us having a very large squad!! The tactics and formations deployed do not make good use of the strengths that we have and frankly trying to see out a 1-0 lead at home to Kelty in another" must win" match is pathetic. We have plenty of technically gifted players but their heads drop at the same time in the face of adversity. Wilson is a case in point - for long spells in a game he is invariably the stand out player on the park. Sadly, we seldom maximise his impact and then all of a sudden the game starts to pass him by and he becomes another passenger. You only need to look at his win;draw;lose stats in all games with Queens to see what I mean. With his talent he should have been a permanent fixture in the Killie team by now but he doesn't appear to have that "winning ingredient" that separates the modest from the winners. We have several others in a similar bracket. We would just about get away with these frailties at this level if we had a good GK and solid central defenders but unfortunately that is the weakest area of the team. It makes the game management tactics that were deployed on Saturday impossible to justify. I will keep making the same point - WG to RWB and Wilson, Todd and McGrory in central midfield would give us a decent platform to win multiple games at this level notwithstanding the weaknesses that we have elsewhere.

In defence of Wilson, whilst much of what you say is on the money, his injury record is why he's at Queens and not at a higher level.

There's a very good reason Wilson is playing in league one and it's not his mentality.

As everyone says, our main problems are rooted in the centre of defence/keeper.  That said its a shame we couldn't entice Aidan Fitzpatrick to re-sign at the end of last season - his pace and directness from midfield to front would have been an asset in this league (and he was starting to find the net for us towards the end of last season).  I see that he's far from a regular starter for Thistle this season, mostly being on the bench for games - if he'd signed for us he'd have been a fairly sure starter most games.  Ifs and buts as always ...

Just now, Otis Blue said:

As everyone says, our main problems are rooted in the centre of defence/keeper.  That said its a shame we couldn't entice Aidan Fitzpatrick to re-sign at the end of last season - his pace and directness from midfield to front would have been an asset in this league (and he was starting to find the net for us towards the end of last season).  I see that he's far from a regular starter for Thistle this season, mostly being on the bench for games - if he'd signed for us he'd have been a fairly sure starter most games.  Ifs and buts as always ...

That, in a roundabout way, we swapped Rae for Currie wasn't great.

But the lack of a settled defence wouldn't help even the best keeper. And as it's been said, our least worst defender is a converted striker. Says a lot that.

But if you buy five centre backs and can't pull together a defence out of that, why would the board give you more money to sign further defenders?

Oddly escaping criticism for Saturday's shit show is Todd. He disappeared in second half and that's poor from not just an experienced player but the captain. 

It's further evidence of that lack of leadership on the pitch. We've a relatively young squad and it shows at times.

The rumours about WGs venture into a shop appear to be real then. I wonder how the club will play this? Stand by him until the trial or let him go beforehand? If he's found guilty I certainly won't be back if he's still in charge. 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

But the lack of a settled defence wouldn't help even the best keeper. And as it's been said, our least worst defender is a converted striker. Says a lot that.

Black mark for referring to East as a converted striker, no longer allowed on here apparently. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The rumours about WGs venture into a shop appear to be real then. I wonder how the club will play this? Stand by him until the trial or let him go beforehand? If he's found guilty I certainly won't be back if he's still in charge. 

I know we want to avoid rumour and innuendo, but what's prompted this?

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is it in the papers ? I can’t find anything online. 

Just now, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Report buried in today's Standard. Banned from Tesco Peel Centre until trial next year. No mention of his employment position though. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

1 minute ago, Broony88 said:

Is it in the papers ? I can’t find anything online. 

I assume The Standard. 

IMG-20221220-WA0001.jpg

1 minute ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Innocent until proven guilty yeh ? 

I'd expect the club to take that stand as well tbh. I certainly wouldn't expect them to sack him due to an accusation but if it's proven guilty he has to go. 

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd expect the club to take that stand as well tbh. I certainly wouldn't expect them to sack him due to an accusation but if it's proven guilty he has to go. 

From the OS in an October 2021 news item regarding the club's support for the Show Racism the Red Card campaign:

"Queen of the South stands with everyone who has had to endure racial prejudice in all areas of their lives. We condemn all forms of racism and any racist behaviour will not be tolerated at our club.

Club captain Wullie GIbson said, "There is no place for racism in today's modern society. As a multi-cultural club, we stand with everyone against racism and prejudice of any sort.""

Clearly if found guilty there would be rightly be no option but to sack him.