The Queen of the South thread

On 09/12/2022 at 15:38, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Dave McKay is no worse than any of our other soft as keech defenders, he's not any better either mind you. When you consider our best defender in a lot of supporters eyes is a converted striker it shows how bad the other actual defenders are. Our defenders are all pretty meh to be honest as our regular shipping of goals suggests. I wasn't at the Pars game at East End Park so can't comment too much on Benedictus' performance but it would appear that the Pars overall team performance wasn't that good. He was a standout in the game at Palmerston earlier in the season, Queens' defenders could learn a few things from him about playing the more physical side of the game and how to marshall a defence.

Is it not time that we stop implying that the fact East is our best defender is a slight on the others? Yes, East was a striker, but he’s been a centre back for a year and a half now and has proven to be good at it. He’s very much earned the right to be called an out and out defender, rather than continually pointing out that he was a striker once upon a time. 

East is a defender. That he was ever played as a striker is criminal because he was pretty rotten. He was never a successful striker and is absolutely a defender who was played out of position up front rather than a striker who we play at CB. 

5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Is it not time that we stop implying that the fact East is our best defender is a slight on the others? Yes, East was a striker, but he’s been a centre back for a year and a half now and has proven to be good at it. He’s very much earned the right to be called an out and out defender, rather than continually pointing out that he was a striker once upon a time. 

Your quite right, from now on I will label his as one of the defenders who forms part of a shite defence. I think the fact that he is a converted striker, however poor he was in that position, gives him a bit of leeway from the criticism that other defenders get, but obviously he must be as much part of the defensive problems we have. 

46 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Your quite right, from now on I will label his as one of the defenders who forms part of a shite defence. I think the fact that he is a converted striker, however poor he was in that position, gives him a bit of leeway from the criticism that other defenders get, but obviously he must be as much part of the defensive problems we have. 

Honestly I think he should be pretty much exempt from the criticism the other get, simply because he’s miles better than the reat

Wouldn’t begrudge him a move, but think Ruari is a bit of that standard. Similar to lyndon move where he goes in January but loaned back maybe beneficial for all parties. It’s fair to say he’s done well with his 13 or so goals but easily should have 20?! He also would go there to warm the bench, as Clark and May were flying before the break 

50 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Wouldn’t begrudge him a move, but think Ruari is a bit of that standard. Similar to lyndon move where he goes in January but loaned back maybe beneficial for all parties. It’s fair to say he’s done well with his 13 or so goals but easily should have 20?! He also would go there to warm the bench, as Clark and May were flying before the break 

My thoughts on Ruirah too, Still a lot to learn and another 5/6 months playing in league 1 so him no harm before he moves on fully. QOS benifit by selling him cheap in Jan then can Inc add ons if any potential sales. Win win for him and Queens. 

3 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Yeah I agree fully. I also thought Ayo wasn’t good enough to move on to the Premiership but look how that’s turned out. He’s still only 22 so playing 90 mins every week will be more beneficial for him imo rather than sit on the bench at St Johnstone, hopefully we can get him loaned back like Dykes was

To me Paton deserves his chance for his first class attitude he worked hard pre season to get really fit. Yes he misses chances but all good centre forwards need to be in the position in the first place. I have criticised his missed  chances but he has really been on fire recently. If he gets the chance then food luck to him. Remember he bullied the St Johnstone defenders in the League Cup game so no surprise they has been watching him

On 13/12/2022 at 21:34, QoS99 said:

In the Scottish S*n that St Johnstone are watching Paton

8 hours ago, Dudleyghu said:

Looks like Paton isn’t the only potential departure in January. There’s 2 clubs from Serie B tracking Lewis Gibson.

This is going well ... vultures circling before we're half way through the bloody season ...

Why would anyone want to depart these shores for Serie B anyway?  ... looks out window at freezing snow and fog ... oh, aye, fair enough ...

https://www.qosfc.com/news-5962

Brilliant news! This will make up for what will ultimately be the end of a shite season. Was devastating seeing Dobbie leave the pitch to an empty stadium so it'll be good to give him a proper send off. Ironically it'll probably draw our biggest crowd of the season. Really pleased he'll leave to a proper standing ovation. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Brilliant news! This will make up for what will ultimately be the end of a shite season. Was devastating seeing Dobbie leave the pitch to an empty stadium so it'll be good to give him a proper send off. Ironically it'll probably draw our biggest crowd of the season. Really pleased he'll leave to a proper standing ovation. 

At last good news he really does deserve a proper send off it will easily get the biggest crowd of the season something to look forward to.

After watching WG interview he says we need to strengthen in January. I don't imagine the board will back that. He has a ridiculous size squad for this level. To make changes to the squad he will have to move people out. Bange will go back to Blackpool. Some will go out on loan. I think it would be beneficial to let McKechnie go on loan as he obviously is not part of WG plans. The young boys would be better going and playing than sitting in stand. I think we need two proper CB a right back a dominant goalkeeper but I expect we will only get a couple of players maximum. The time has come to start playing his best 11 and not chopping and changing to keep players on side.

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

After watching WG interview he says we need to strengthen in January. I don't imagine the board will back that. He has a ridiculous size squad for this level. To make changes to the squad he will have to move people out. Bange will go back to Blackpool. Some will go out on loan. I think it would be beneficial to let McKechnie go on loan as he obviously is not part of WG plans. The young boys would be better going and playing than sitting in stand. I think we need two proper CB a right back a dominant goalkeeper but I expect we will only get a couple of players maximum. The time has come to start playing his best 11 and not chopping and changing to keep players on side.

I am not sure he knows our best 11. Can't help think that's part of the problem.

At the end of last season Gibson said we should judge him once he had assembled his own squad.

We've now had half a season to assess his performance on that criteria, and now he has basically admitted that the squad isn't good enough.

In that respect it must either be his eye for a player or managerial skills at this level that must be the reason we are not in the position either we or he expected to be in.  One way or another he's revealed that he has failed in one of his job requirements.

It's a sad indictment of his recruitment that for me our best players are Wilson, Connelly, East, Paton, Todd, Cochrane and both Gibsons.  If we exclude Lewis Gibson (youth product) and Wilson all of those players were brought in by AJ.

Edited by Slipmat
missed a word out

20 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, great news indeed and never more deserving.

Was just thinking the other day that it was strange that Dobbs hadn't had a testimonial.  Good of Scott Brown to get involved too - seem to recall that they've been pals since their days together at H*bs, and of course they're probably relative neighbours these days with Brown managing at Fleetwood, just up the coast from Dobbs at Lytham.

20 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

I certainly don't disagree that we need some better defensive options but the reality is we have 5 CBs on the books. And other than East, none of them have been consistently good this season. I'm not sure I'd trust WG to find another one any better. We have arguably the best RB in the division and yet fail to play him for 'whatever reason'. 

My enthusiasm for the season has well and truly gone and I really wouldn't care if the BoD failed to release funds for WG to piss up against the wall and instead kept it for next season.

Get through this shitshow of a failure, take our 8th place finish, get a new man in next season and try and build for a title challenge.