The Queen of the South thread

To be honest I did not think 4-1 was a fair result. I don't understand the changes. Why does he play McKenna when D McKay comes off a good performance last week. McKenna is really poor positionally and he has no heart or bravery in the tackle. I thought first half we were excellent Todd McGrory Wilson dictating the game. Second half we fell into Morton trap and we stopped playing our game. If we play like that next week we will give Dunfermline a game. 

3 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Second half we fell into Morton trap and we stopped playing our game. If we play like that next week we will give Dunfermline a game. 

You didn't fall into any trap, we just moved Gillespie back to cover the space in front of the defence that you kept exploiting in the first half to pretty good effect. We don't normally have that gap: it was sloppy from us to create it today.  Once that hole was plugged, the innate superiority of our players and system won out. 

A commendable effort at the toughest away game in Scottish football right now though. 

On 24/11/2022 at 17:33, 19QOS19 said:
On 24/11/2022 at 15:06, SUPERSOUTH said:
emoji1663.png let loose? 

I'd probably walk if Currie was being picked ahead of me tbh.

What's Sam Henderson like as a GK?

Been around a few clubs since leaving Queens like Gretna, Petershill etc...

5 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Disappointing if expected  result in the Cup .

Morton have shown get the right manager anything is possible.

They will work with a similar budget to us but all to do with how you use it. 

How the f**k do you know what budget Morton work with. Give it a rest or come up with some figures. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

How the f**k do you know what budget Morton work with. Give it a rest or come up with some figures. 

A example is Wilson and Reilly both offered deals at Morton but sign for us.

We offered more money  that is the only reason why they signed for us.

3 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

What's Sam Henderson like as a GK?

Been around a few clubs since leaving Queens like Gretna, Petershill etc...

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who knows.  He doesn't seem to have played more than five games at any of the clubs he's been with (and there have been at least 12 of them - that must be a record for a 23 year old!) with the possible exceptions of East Kilbride and Carlisle City.  

Even at Petershill he only made 2 starts before being released.  I'm amazed that he got a contract with Queens until June to be honest given that he struggled to get games at both Dalbeattie and Mid Annandale in the past couple of seasons.

We're fairly rattling through the goalkeepers this season... Currie, Pietsch, Cowie, Ritchie, Fox and now Henderson all on the teamsheet at some stage I think.  Pietsch may have been at the tail end of last season, I can't remember offhand and can't be arsed checking.

Edited by Slipmat
spelling

5 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who knows.  He doesn't seem to have played more than five games at any of the clubs he's been with (and there have been at least 12 of them - that must be a record for a 23 year old!) with the possible exceptions of East Kilbride and Carlisle City.  

Even at Petershill he only made 2 starts before being released.  I'm amazed that he got a contract with Queens until June to be honest given that he struggled to get games at both Dalbeattie and Mid Annandale in the past couple of seasons.

We're fairly rattling through the goalkeepers this season... Currie, Pietsch, Cowie, Ritchie, Fox and now Henderson all on the teamsheet at some stage I think.  Pietsch may have been at the tail end of last season, I can't remember offhand and can't be arsed checking.

Unless we sign another keeper in January all of this would suggest that Currie is now unchallenged as first pick no matter how pish he is. Frankly that's a scary thought. We'll be safe this season given there are teams more pish than we are but the decline continues.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

A example is Wilson and Reilly both offered deals at Morton but sign for us.

We offered more money  that is the only reason why they signed for us.

Just because two players chose us over Morton doesn't mean we have a bigger budget, others in our squad may be on much smaller wages to compensate, or the players took other things into consideration when deciding on a move. I still say you have absolutely no idea of what each clubs budget is. 

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Just because two players chose us over Morton doesn't mean we have a bigger budget, others in our squad may be on much smaller wages to compensate, or the players took other things into consideration when deciding on a move. I still say you have absolutely no idea of what each clubs budget is. 

We had budget problems in the Summer and rumour was we offered players less than last season so wouldn't be surprised if Queens offered both better deals.

Our budget improved towards the end of the window once we secured a 6 figure partnership deal which allowed us to sign Robbie Crawford, Grimshaw and Ambrose.

I was gutted to miss out on both as they did well for us last season and thought they were cracking signings for league 1 but Dougie has done very well to replace them.

3 hours ago, Slipmat said:

He hasn't got a contract till June, indeed he hasn't got a contract at all. He's an amateur. If he was a pro he wouldn't be able to sign outwith a window having left a club after it shut. His registration as an amateur automatically runs to June but it's unlikely he'll be here beyond January.

Pietsch hasn't been involved for the 1st team this season. He sat on the bench once last season v Partick Thistle in April because Cowie had Covid that week. We've had 5 keepers on teamsheets this season, though only Currie and Fox have actually played, and we'll inevitably have a 6th by January when someone else comes in to replace Henderson / Fox. Unless Cowie comes back to do it of course but the intention for this season was for Cowie to have a season out on loan playing regularly so I doubt either him or us will want him back on a bench for the 2nd half of the season.

8 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Yep we can now look forward to the exciting fight to secure a 7th place finish.

Aye, it's far from ideal.

In an attempt to stay in glass half full mode though, we're just two games shy of the half-way point now so it could still be argued that there's time to recover to a more respectable league finish and the top four (currently five points adrift) - for a start we know that we have the measure of FCE and Montrose who are both above us.  Of course that will depend on keeping Wilson and Todd fit and I think we will need to use the January window wisely to strengthen (the defence).  We're definitely not winning this league but a decent second half of the season would see us back in the mix.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And yet Darragh O'Connor went the other way. 🙄

Was surprised we never got O,Connor he is exactly the type of defender we need.

This has been our problem all season we don't have a aggressive centre back.

Not 1st choice at Morton hopefully he might be available in January.

12 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Was surprised we never got O,Connor he is exactly the type of defender we need.

This has been our problem all season we don't have a aggressive centre back.

Not 1st choice at Morton hopefully he might be available in January.

He was 1st choice up until he got injured and we brought Ambrose in so now 3rd choice. Doubt he will be going anywhere.

I think Lithgow might be allowed to leave however.

Just a daft thought ... now that the Michael Beale fella has rocked back up north for the Govan loyal hot seat, I wonder if we're likely to see our old chum L Dykes esquire following suit from Loftus Road in the near future - would Queens pick up any further % from any such event?  Probably not I guess.

Edited by Otis Blue

Nice to hear the Palmerston pitch is being ripped up in early May next year and replaced with a new one. Would much rather we went back to a grass pitch but anything is better than what we’re playing on at the moment. 

Good news. I'd much prefer grass as well but it's obviously not happening any time soon. I'm not against plastic pitches as they can make for great surfaces. Sadly we just have an absolutely awful one just now. The next one can surely only be an improvement.
Just a daft thought ... now that the Michael Beale fella has rocked back up north for the Govan loyal hot seat, I wonder if we're likely to see our old chum L Dykes esquire following suit from Loftus Road in the near future - would Queens pick up any further % from any such event?  Probably not I guess.
From a selfish point of view (Scotland fan) I'd be very disappointed if he left the English Championship to come back here. He should be looking to go to the EPL (or better), not step back down.