The Queen of the South thread

31 minutes ago, Kunter said:

No I'm saying Wullie should never have been considered for the management roll full stop.  It's not like he even did anything particular special during the caretaker spell. 

Nothing against him as a person, I just think we needed experience or / and a change of direction. 

I know I'm in the minority but I actually think we should give him till the end of the season unless we absolutely implode. Let him rectify mistakes in the January window then at least there's no doubting.  

I can see the argument you make re keeping till end of the season but why trust him with more spending money in January?

31 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I can see the argument you make re keeping till end of the season but why trust him with more spending money in January?

Just because it's his first senior management job and although I'm not denying we're gutter there's still a chance to turn it about. 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

Just because it's his first senior management job and although I'm not denying we're gutter there's still a chance to turn it about. 

Sure. My point was more can be trusted with a transfer kitty considering what he's bought already and January window is hardly an easy or cheap time to be buying 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Sure. My point was more can be trusted with a transfer kitty considering what he's bought already and January window is hardly an easy or cheap time to be buying 

He's only done it once so who knows but the fact he's signed mostly dross and Johnson signed dross indicates to me more we have a problem with recruiting the quality.  

There is a lot of head in the sand stuff on here. I respect my fellow Queens fans right to disagree. However, we aren’t going nowhere, we are in fact heading in a downward trajectory and have been for a number of years. 

Be honest, when was the last season you enjoyed going to games and thought we were doing well? 

Somebody gave praise for us remaining full-time. Tremendous- we are the worst performing full-time team in the league. There are about three or four part-time teams above us at the moment. 

Nothing like the Harkness years?

on reflection, I think that may be a fair comment.

Harkness had his own company do all the electrical work at the ground and it was regularly painted and maintained - if nothing else.

Sadly that doesn’t even happen any more. 

We are heading down the leagues and it seems we should be so thankful for that, because “nobody else is interested”in taking it on.  

Edited by qos_75

Who is charge if recruitment is it whoever WG wants or is there a scouting team that works  for us. It was reported we were in for Muirhead and Broadfoot and it he must have seen that was the type of character we needed unfortunately the defenders we signed don't have that personality and character and I think that is a major problem. 

8 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Who is charge if recruitment is it whoever WG wants or is there a scouting team that works  for us. It was reported we were in for Muirhead and Broadfoot and it he must have seen that was the type of character we needed unfortunately the defenders we signed don't have that personality and character and I think that is a major problem. 

He was in for then both but Money talks I'm afraid.. 

Somebody gave praise for us remaining full-time. Tremendous- we are the worst performing full-time team in the league.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned the FT thing but I mentioned we stayed full time. It wasn't to give praise as such it was more in response to someone saying the BoD had no ambition. We are indeed the worst FT side in the country but I think that comment was harsh. To have shown no ambition would have been to go PT straight away and give WG a far poorer budget to play with.

29 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We’ve signed a load of shit players on our budget. Maybe a smaller squad with some better quality might have been an idea. Just a thought. 

Signing Morison when his injury problems were well known was baffling to say the least

A few of us on here saying that despite our current travails at least the ultimate nightmare won't transpire this season because of the poor quality of Peterhead and Clyde and the gap between us and them ... well, just maybe we shouldn't feel too comfortable ... Clyde have just replaced their manager and now Peterhead are seeking a replacement as well ... no time for complacency ... just sayin' ...

A few of us on here saying that despite our current travails at least the ultimate nightmare won't transpire this season because of the poor quality of Peterhead and Clyde and the gap between us and them ... well, just maybe we shouldn't feel too comfortable ... Clyde have just replaced their manager and now Peterhead are seeking a replacement as well ... no time for complacency ... just sayin' ...
We're shite but we're not Peterhead and Clyde levels of shite. I'm fairly confident we'll finish above them, along with the rest of the division.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

We're shite but we're not Peterhead and Clyde levels of shite. I'm fairly confident we'll finish above them, along with the rest of the division.

Agreed - things might pick up a bit with the new managers but Clyde currently on track for just 19 points all season and Peterhead even less. We're looking at about 45 which would put us right in the mix for mid-table obscurity.  

There's always six more points against Edinburgh for us to fall back on too....

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Peterhead looking for a new Manager who might get more out of them, Clyde just got Duffy in and stopped the rot, maybe just  briefly, time will tell.  I'm like you I don't think we'll finish in the bottom two or three but think we will need other teams like those two and Kelty, maybe Airdrie, to continue on the same level of shiteness as present, or stay slightly more shite than us. If a couple of them were to hit a bit of form though I'd be extremely worried. 

Wullie quite rightly having a pop at the players in today's Standard for downing tools on Saturday and saying what we all knew, were too soft in key areas. He's quite right of course but he's got to remember who signed these soft players, and that being over critical can work in two ways, either the players respond positively or they take the huff. 

I was just checking there though and Dunfermline in their fabled 2015 season finished 7th with 48 points - a record I can quite easily see us not reaching.

I know there have been a couple FT sides in League Two recently but is that Dunfermline team generally considered the lowest bar for FT clubs?

I was just checking there though and Dunfermline in their fabled 2015 season finished 7th with 48 points - a record I can quite easily see us not reaching.
I know there have been a couple FT sides in League Two recently but is that Dunfermline team generally considered the lowest bar for FT clubs?
This Queens side - "Hawd ma beer!"

I wonder what WG is thinking regarding his starting team this Saturday. Obviously Hendrie is suspended. The area of issue is at the back. I would imagine McKenna and East will come in for D McKay and Hendrie and we will stick to the 3 at the back. Todd will I would imagine start over Cochrane. Does Connelly come in for Murray? Does Ruth or Bange replace Reilly or Paton. What has happened to McKechnie I thought WG like wingers with pace but he has not featured for a long time. A lot of things to consider as Montrose are always well organised and big McAllister will be a handful for our defence

5 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

What has happened to McKechnie I thought WG like wingers with pace but he has not featured for a long time.

I don't think that a back three with wing backs can work with wingers. McKechnie would have to play as right wing back but our defence isn't any good with defensive wing backs never mind hoping that our attack-minded players will track back for their defensive duties.

I don't believe that we have the personnel to play three/five at the back. Personally, I don't like it as a system anyway, and certainly not with Queens this season so far.

Edited by Riviera711

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

I don't think that a back three with wing backs can work with wingers. McKechnie would have to play as right wing back but our defence isn't any good with defensive wing backs never mind hoping that our attack-minded players will track back for their defensive duties.

I don't believe that we have the personnel to play three/five at the back. Personally, I don't like it as a system anyway, and certainly not with Queens this season so far.

Lewis Gibson is a winger and that worked just fine away to Edinburgh. It worked less well against Alloa when the pressure was on us, as Gibson did get caught out. 

I agree we are short of a right wing back though. Most, if not all, our best performances have been with a back 3 this season. Can’t see us likely to deviate from that on Saturday.