The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's certainly a fair point, yes. My post was in regards to the BoD not showing ambition this season which IMO is nonsense. There's clearly been money there to bring in a healthy squad and it looks like WG has failed to assemble one.

But aye, I do see what you're saying. The fact I fully expect Grant Murray to take over should WG be axed sums it up in that regard.

Your point about them being able to stop us being relegated doesn't really stand then, does it? The job was always going to WG so by your own admission we'd have been relegated last season regardless of when WG too over.

Was it not evident in December we were heading for relegation ? Remind me what the BOD did of way of prevention? 

Early sacking of Johnson ? No.

Additional funds to bolster the squad in the January window? No. 

So what's not stacking up? 

Was it not evident in December we were heading for relegation ? Remind me what the BOD did of way of prevention? 
Early sacking of Johnson ? No.
Additional funds to bolster the squad in the January window? No. 
So what's not stacking up? 

AJ should have been sacked long before he was, I'm not disputing that. But it was always going to be WG who got the job and you've just said yourself you don't think he'd have kept us up anyway.

So if you got your way we'd have forked out for AJ compensation, forked out for more players in January so essentially be worse off and still have went down regardless.

18 minutes ago, Kunter said:

You've got to be careful what you write on the internet but let's put it in a polite way. No one's taking the job on while ever he's still kicking about. 

But he surely wouldn't be kicking about, or be as prominent, if he  was replaced. 

7 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Not had a solid ball winning CB with passion for the club since Semple, What a shame he was let go... 🤷‍♂️ The CB's are so soft now no aggression whatsoever. 

Tbf, Semple didn't do himself any favours before he was let go. 

Feel like a change now/very soon is our best chance to salvage something from the season. 11 clear of 9th and now 7 off the play-offs we are drifting to nothing with only the part timers really saving us.

Think the Board will give Wullie the season unless things get drastic but we are close to having to just write off the season and start again in the summer.

Would Wullie survive 7th/8th finish? If getting a new manager in the summer why not now? (With the huge caveat of is anyone actually available/willing to take the job at the moment)

Feel like a change now/very soon is our best chance to salvage something from the season. 11 clear of 9th and now 7 off the play-offs we are drifting to nothing with only the part timers really saving us.
Think the Board will give Wullie the season unless things get drastic but we are close to having to just write off the season and start again in the summer.
Would Wullie survive 7th/8th finish? If getting a new manager in the summer why not now? (With the huge caveat of is anyone actually available/willing to take the job at the moment)

All hypothetical just now but if WG finishes the season anywhere below 4th he shouldn't be given another year. 4th is the minimum we should have hoped for this season.

A new manager in the summer means it won't cost the board anything. I think that's why WG job is safe tbh.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

All hypothetical just now but if WG finishes the season anywhere below 4th he shouldn't be given another year. 4th is the minimum we should have hoped for this season.

A new manager in the summer means it won't cost the board anything. I think that's why WG job is safe tbh.

Yep makes total sense! It's just crap for fans who very likely have to endure another 6 months of drudgery as we write the season off because it will be cheaper to start again next year then now.

Yep makes total sense! It's just crap for fans who very likely have to endure another 6 months of drudgery as we write the season off because it will be cheaper to start again next year then now.

Absolutely. I've just come to expect it, sadly. It's clear to see by our numbers that plenty of folk have had enough though.

How many times have this board recruited poorly though? It is then compounded  by them not realising their appointment isn’t working and leaving it too late to get shot of the manager.
In any other business the board would have come under scrutiny for not performing.
Yes, the buck does stop with the manager, but there comes a time when the board’s performance should be be analysed too. 
I don’t think it is unreasonable to say their performance in the role hasn’t met requirements either. 
The old argument about there being nobody else wanting to do it doesn’t add up either. Lets test the water by the board  saying they will step down at the end of the season and see who is interested. 
For those old enough to remember, this is becoming a lot like the Harkness years.
Nailed it.

Absolutely. I've just come to expect it, sadly. It's clear to see by our numbers that plenty of folk have had enough though.
Exactly. The crowds are going to get worse. No question. Our home form is rotten and people are pissed off turning up to see absolute pea hearted clowns playing.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Tbf, Semple didn't do himself any favours before he was let go. 

? ? The young man was trying to deal with a number of personal issues at the time, and was still head and shoulders what we have now.... 

6 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

OK should have said Queens player not loanee... 

Not sure what odds that makes. Especially when ALL of Callum Semple's best performances for us were when he was on loan to us from Sheffield United. He wasn't anywhere near as good when he returned from Ross County on a fully contracted basis.

Our best defender by an absolute mile in the last few years was the also on loan Jason Kerr too for that matter.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure what odds that makes. Especially when ALL of Callum Semple's best performances for us were when he was on loan to us from Sheffield United. He wasn't anywhere near as good when he returned from Ross County on a properly contracted basis.

Maybe not as good, but still far better than any CB's we have at the moment certainly player with passion and wanted to win... 

? ? The young man was trying to deal with a number of personal issues at the time, and was still head and shoulders what we have now.... 
Fair bit of revisionism going on here. Semple did well to begin with but fell off a cliff bar a couple of performances. Certainly had ability but it looks like his off field issues took over given he appears to be out the game the now.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

AJ should have been sacked long before he was, I'm not disputing that. But it was always going to be WG who got the job and you've just said yourself you don't think he'd have kept us up anyway.

So if you got your way we'd have forked out for AJ compensation, forked out for more players in January so essentially be worse off and still have went down regardless.

No I'm saying Wullie should never have been considered for the management roll full stop.  It's not like he even did anything particular special during the caretaker spell. 

Nothing against him as a person, I just think we needed experience or / and a change of direction. 

I know I'm in the minority but I actually think we should give him till the end of the season unless we absolutely implode. Let him rectify mistakes in the January window then at least there's no doubting.  

I think the fact that the bottom two are well adrift, will probably be the decisive factor in protecting Gibson's job for the remainder of this season.

I'm not pretending it's going well, because it isn't.  However, promotion never looked terribly likely at the outset anyway, given the presence of two relatively big clubs.  So long as we're not going down (and no other considerations intervene) then I think they'll probably opt to 'stick' until change is easier and cheaper.