The Queen of the South thread

42 minutes ago, Kunter said:

It's not going to end well but being realistic he's not getting the sack unless we loose about 4 or 5 games back to back. 

Ignoring performances, results have been too inconsistent to get him the chop going by previous evidence of how the board work.  

Said it before but it showed the level of ambition the club had appointing Wullie in the first place. 

Any manager coming here is on a hiding to nothing though. 

As long as 3 clubs are below Queens in the league table, I doubt there'll be any changes at all. Queens will be mulling around in the 3rd tier of Scottish Football happily sitting in 5th, 6th or 7th season after season with no ambition under the current regime.

4 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Just saying everyone has been berating McKenna then he misses a game and we lose 5. Don't think he is our worst defender

And I don't think he would have helped either, probably have lost by more imo. 

Don't know what Wullie said at half-time but it certainly had an effect on the team. (negatively that is.)

Doubt he’ll get sacked yet, but I think that’s the beginning of the end for Wullie today. A capitulation to that extent is seriously concerning, especially considering we were the better side for the first 45 minutes. It wasn’t like we were outplayed by a far superior team - the arse just totally collapsed. 

Defensive recruitment, and performances the key failing. The team is absolutely powderpuff and there was no leadership on the pitch today to try steady the ship when we went 2-1 or 3-1 down. Demoralising. 

1 hour ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

As long as 3 clubs are below Queens in the league table, I doubt there'll be any changes at all. Queens will be mulling around in the 3rd tier of Scottish Football happily sitting in 5th, 6th or 7th season after season with no ambition under the current regime.

You can berate me for not liking my news with those 3 negative red comments but folk need to face the hard facts!

You can berate me for not liking my news with those 3 negative red comments but folk need to face the hard facts!
It's a bullshit post tbf. Say what you like about our BoD but to show no ambition would have been to instantly revert us to PT this season. They didn't do that, they remained FT and have clearly given WG a decent budget this season.

If we fail to go up this season it's WGs fault, not the BoD.

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's a bullshit post tbf. Say what you like about our BoD but to show no ambition would have been to instantly revert us to PT this season. They didn't do that, they remained FT and have clearly given WG a decent budget this season.

Yes I’m no fan of our  BoD but the notion that they haven’t supported our manager with regards to the squad he’s brought together is utter nonsense. 

3 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Agree. 

Board have zero ambition. There was ample opportunity to stop us getting relegated in the first place but they chose to ignore it.  Until they disappear we'll continue on this merry-go-round of shitness. 

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He's 58, in this scenario by the time he failed he'd be at least 60, I doubt his future career is really something he'd be concerned about when he's approaching retirement age anyway.

I remember a program on TV about him years ago when he was "between clubs" showing him coaching kids in some kind of academy thing. Amazing passion for the game.

I don't think he's that kinda guy who could ever switch off from football completely unless he's forced to. 

Agree. 
Board have zero ambition. There was ample opportunity to stop us getting relegated in the first place but they chose to ignore it.  Until they disappear we'll continue on this merry-go-round of shitness. 
You reckon WG would have turned it around if he got the job earlier?

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

How many times have this board recruited poorly though? It is then compounded  by them not realising their appointment isn’t working and leaving it too late to get shot of the manager.

In any other business the board would have come under scrutiny for not performing.

Yes, the buck does stop with the manager, but there comes a time when the board’s performance should be be analysed too. 

I don’t think it is unreasonable to say their performance in the role hasn’t met requirements either. 

The old argument about there being nobody else wanting to do it doesn’t add up either. Lets test the water by the board  saying they will step down at the end of the season and see who is interested. 

For those old enough to remember, this is becoming a lot like the Harkness years.

Edited by qos_75

Can’t fault the budget allocated for squad assembly by the BOD but far too many similar players signed. 4/5 CBs and only one (East) remotely good enough.  Squad clogged up with players who can fill the bench but are not capable of competing at this level - several players getting an inordinate amount of game time despite continually failing to deliver. Some supporters still pedalling the notion that we have a “quality squad”. Central midfielders can play in neat triangles if they are given time but McGrory hasn’t scored a solitary goal since joining us and Cochrane has managed one. Wilson and Todd are decent but always injured. 

The persistence with this No 10 role is  mystifying- the incumbent usually Murray or Connelly doesn’t track back leaving the remaining central midfielders out numbered in the key area and huge gaps appear. 

It is delusional for decision makers to contemplate not playing WG at RB. This move wouldn’t eradicate the weaknesses of this squad but it would make us massively stronger defensively and offensively. Xmas clear out required if clubs can be found for the non- contributors. This is sadly a long list but we should aim to get squad down to c.20 players and bring in some loan players - GK, CB a must.

4-4-2 please and disband these completely unsuccessful systems that shoehorn under-performers into the starting 11.

Hopefully we can stay up but to do that comfortably there will need to be a complete re-think.

7 hours ago, qos_75 said:

How many times have this board recruited poorly though? It is then compounded  by them not realising their appointment isn’t working and leaving it too late to get shot of the manager.

In any other business the board would have come under scrutiny for not performing.

Yes, the buck does stop with the manager, but there comes a time when the board’s performance should be be analysed too. 

I don’t think it is unreasonable to say their performance in the role hasn’t met requirements either. 

The old argument about there being nobody else wanting to do it doesn’t add up either. Lets test the water by the board  saying they will step down at the end of the season and see who is interested. 

For those old enough to remember, this is becoming a lot like the Harkness years.

With regard to the performance and decision making of the Board, your comments apply to every Club in the land and there have been a lot worse than us !

I understand why you would mention " the Harkness years " but - having been there throughout the darkest days -  I don't quite agree.

Football fans have always been hard to please but I think it is symptomatic of todays society that people are less tolerant and ultra quick to condemn and criticise.

However, that is not to say that everything in the garden is rosy, far from it.  I do agree though with the earlier post that the Board have backed WG by staying FT and - on his own admission - allowing him to get the players he wanted in early.

There will be many out there who were happy for WG to get the job but now want him gone, fair enough. I have said on several occasions it reminds me very much of the Ian Scott situation which just didn't work out.

If a change were made what/who do we get ?

Do people want an experienced head e.g. the likes of Jim Duffy - who stopped the rot at Clyde and almost got a great win yesterday at Dunfermline ( I can hear the comments already) - or do we take another gamble on an unproven Manager ?

Those are the choices and it's a very difficult decision to make and get right.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong but I just can't see us going up under WG but then there is no guarantee that changing would get us up either.

Who would be a Board member of a Football Club !

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, Kunter said:
Agree. 

You reckon WG would have turned it around if he got the job earlier?

Absolutely not. He had the caretaker spell as a taster and all of summer to bring in a squad. He's had more than enough time. 

If you were running the club, desperate to go up, would you have taken a rookie manager on in Wullie? 

It was a heart ruling head decision or probably more like the cheaper option. 

This business of he's got a big budget. Utter garbage. Yes he's got a sizeable squad but look at the quality. There isnt any bar 4. Theres a reason why it's rammed with young players. You don't have to pay them much! 

My point is the fundamental reason we are rubbish is because the BOD are not willing to open the coffers and bring in quality "when needed". And that's their obligation which is fair enough but mated to secrecy over transfer money, AGM's behind closed doors, lack of basic stadium maintenance, well it's time for a change at the helm because we are simply going no where! 

How many more years of decile before it registers with folk?!? 

8 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I'm sure I recall the Chairman saying around the last AGM that he would have no problem stepping down if someone wanted to take over, there seems to be zero interest from anyone wanting the position. I'm also old enough to remember the Harkness era, hardly a fair comparison from running a part time club then with less affordable, alternative interests for the working supporter, to trying to maintain full time football in the current financial climate and people having more choice of what interests to follow. As has  been said, keeping the Club Full time whilst still living pretty much within our means can't be easy, not forgetting that the current Boards first task when they took over was to sort out the financial mess left by the previous Chairman and which almost killed the Club. Yes, during this Board's tenure they have recruited Manager's who have turned out to be poor choices, but I'm struggling to think of a Manager that the fans were dead against when recruited by the Board. its usually in hindsight that fans think appointments are bad. At least, unlike the Harkness era, the Board haven't taken over the complete Management of the playing side. 

8 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Nothing like the Harkness years the board have given Wullie a decent  full time  budget.

The problem is Wullie has signed no leaders all nice players but not one would win a 50 -50 ball.

We don't have a good  goalkeeper or any defenders that are even half decent

You could tell from our first game against Annan when they bullied us that it was going to be a long season .

We have a soft centre all this is Wullie fault nobody elses he signed the wrong type of  player .

We will always lose games everyone does but it was the manner of the defeat at Alloa it was a new low point .

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure I recall the Chairman saying around the last AGM that he would have no problem stepping down if someone wanted to take over, there seems to be zero interest from anyone wanting the position. I'm also old enough to remember the Harkness era, hardly a fair comparison from running a part time club then with less affordable, alternative interests for the working supporter, to trying to maintain full time football in the current financial climate and people having more choice of what interests to follow. As has  been said, keeping the Club Full time whilst still living pretty much within our means can't be easy, not forgetting that the current Boards first task when they took over was to sort out the financial mess left by the previous Chairman and which almost killed the Club. Yes, during this Board's tenure they have recruited Manager's who have turned out to be poor choices, but I'm struggling to think of a Manager that the fans were dead against when recruited by the Board. its usually in hindsight that fans think appointments are bad. At least, unlike the Harkness era, the Board haven't taken over the complete Management of the playing side. 

You've got to be careful what you write on the internet but let's put it in a polite way. No one's taking the job on while ever he's still kicking about. 

That's certainly a fair point, yes. My post was in regards to the BoD not showing ambition this season which IMO is nonsense. There's clearly been money there to bring in a healthy squad and it looks like WG has failed to assemble one. In their defence I can't recall many complaints with the WG appointment at the time.

But aye, I do see what you're saying. The fact I fully expect Grant Murray to take over should WG be axed sums it up in that regard.

Absolutely not.

Your point about them being able to stop us being relegated doesn't really stand then, does it? The job was always going to WG so by your own admission we'd have been relegated last season regardless of when WG too over.