The Queen of the South thread

I tried to put Q1 down to a learning curve as WG got to know the squad's capabilities, best shape etc. in the hope that we would start to get our shit together in Q2.  Looks as though that hope/plan is now in the bin and unfortunately for WG I can only see one sad outcome here.

I think the timing is now for the BOD - to get a new manager in ASAP so that we can identify a couple of key recruitment targets for the January window.  The season is gone - the essential thing now is to consolidate a mid-table slot and build something more decent for next season.

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Wait for McCall.

I'm not so sure about McCall.  He knows the game up here and has loads of contacts and can spot a player (eg Dobbie).  However, he loves his beloved second home (Glasgow) and when he was with us before he couldn't wait to jump ship for a better gig at the first opportunity.  That said, he'll now be reaching the stage where there may be fewer opportunities to come his way.

Any better alternatives out there?

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm not so sure about McCall.  He knows the game up here and has loads of contacts and can spot a player (eg Dobbie).  However, he loves his beloved second home (Glasgow) and when he was with us before he couldn't wait to jump ship for a better gig at the first opportunity.  That said, he'll now be reaching the stage where there may be fewer opportunities to come his way.

Any better alternatives out there?

Train in Hamilton, he doesn't need to relocate at all. Were we training in Hamilton when he was here last time? 

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

Train in Hamilton, he doesn't need to relocate at all. Were we training in Hamilton when he was here last time? 

Yep, fair point ... and I can't recall if we were still using Hamilton last time.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know McCall's stock will be down the now but is it that low he'd take on our basket case of a side?

Doesn't look like there will be any full time gigs in the Championship opening soon where he'd be in the running. The Falkirk and Dunfermline jobs isn't available, so one can hope. But I do agree, with our board doubt the job is attractive for any manager.

*Forgot about Hamilton but that doesn't seem to be an attractive job either

Edited by QoS99
change

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Doesn't look like there will be any full time gigs in the Championship opening soon where he'd be in the running. The Falkirk and Dunfermline jobs isn't available, so one can hope. But I do agree, with our board doubt the job is attractive for any manager.

*Forgot about Hamilton but that doesn't seem to be an attractive job either

Brian Rice for me has the experience we need is doing a great job at Alloa.

Only problem is the cost of getting rid of Wullie and getting Rice in I can't see the board doing that we will no doubt just stick with Wullie that is the easy cheap  option 

5 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Brian Rice for me has the experience we need is doing a great job at Alloa.

Only problem is the cost of getting rid of Wullie and getting Rice in I can't see the board doing that we will no doubt just stick with Wullie that is the easy cheap  option 

We had the chance of getting Rice in with Wullie when AJ was punted, never going to happen if it didn't then

It's a peculiarity of our board that they seem to have a very parochial attitude when it comes to appointing managers.  Whenever a manager leaves either by choice or through being sacked it seems to be the board's automatic gut reaction is to look to promote someone from within the present coaching set-up, or re-appoint a previous dud and look no further.  To me, it seems to be unbelievably stupid to replace an out-going failing manager/coaching team with someone who has been part of that very failing team.

The board are also notoriously slow in acting.  Naysmith, for example was only sacked by the time we had been confirmed as being in the relegation play-offs, AJ had us in a situation that was obvious to a blind man that we weren't going to get out of, yet in both of those examples it took an absolute eternity for the board to take action.

I would have thought that the board's target for this season would have been top 4 at the minimum.  Even if we win our next three games (haha, yes, I know!) it's unlikely we would be in a play-off position at the halfway point in which case they would have plenty of justification for giving Wullie his jotters.  I hope that they do, but with the recent history outlined above I have a great fear that they would make Murray interim manager for an indefinite period while they dithered around waiting for applications to arrive instead of pro-actively seeking out the right man.  And given the quality of available men out there they would probably end up appointing a no-mark like Danny Lennon.

ETA - ...and Hewitson is NOT the sort of man who would want to compensate another club for poaching their manager.

Edited by Slipmat

It's not going to end well but being realistic he's not getting the sack unless we loose about 4 or 5 games back to back. 

Ignoring performances, results have been too inconsistent to get him the chop going by previous evidence of how the board work.  

Said it before but it showed the level of ambition the club had appointing Wullie in the first place. 

Any manager coming here is on a hiding to nothing though. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know McCall's stock will be down the now but is it that low he'd take on our basket case of a side?

No chance because if he took us on and failed that would him pretty much finished in league football. 

15 minutes ago, Kunter said:

No chance because if he took us on and failed that would him pretty much finished in league football. 

He's 58, in this scenario by the time he failed he'd be at least 60, I doubt his future career is really something he'd be concerned about when he's approaching retirement age anyway.

He's 58, in this scenario by the time he failed he'd be at least 60, I doubt his future career is really something he'd be concerned about when he's approaching retirement age anyway.
I half expected him to come back to us at some point anyway to give it the "I've always had a place in my heart for Queens and always knew I'd be back some day".