The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, FyldeCoastDoonhamer said:

Maybe we were unlucky. He’s now signed for a club nearer home (Kings Langley - english Southern League) and seems to be playing regularly. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/udoka-chima/profil/spieler/733466

Transfermarkt suggests there was a club in between us and Kings Langley

Really enjoyed the win against Edinburgh again on Saturday. But it has to be said that is the worst viewing experience ever at a professional ground.
I remember watching a couple of games v Meadowbank Thistle at Meadowbank Stadium at the turn of the century.

View was pish then and doesn't sound like its improved. One game it was pishing down and they wouldn't let us use the main grandstand as there was a cat show on (I think!).

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

I remember watching a couple of games v Meadowbank Thistle at Meadowbank Stadium at the turn of the century.

View was pish then and doesn't sound like its improved. One game it was pishing down and they wouldn't let us use the main grandstand as there was a cat show on (I think!).

Yeah, cat or dog. I remember that game 

51 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Yeah, cat or dog. I remember that game 

Definitely a Cat Show. There was another we were locked out of the stand for a Beer Festival too though it was the Cat Show one that it absolutely pissed down for the entire game on an entire crowd with no shelter. Wettest I've ever been at a football match. Pretty sure it was a 0-0 draw too. Character building! 😂

EDIT - If I'm right about it being a 0-0 draw then it must have been 9th October 1993.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Another big game Saturday in an effort to get some sort of momentum going.

It looks like we have a splintering in the league where we are getting the better of the smaller PT teams, Clyde, Peterhead and Edinburgh reasonably comfortably (opening day aside). The only teams we have actually beaten this season!

We then have the FT teams in Falkirk and Dunfermline that we haven't got close to.

It's the games in the middle group against Montrose, Alloa, Airdrie and Kelty where we really need to improve to keep in touch. Starting at Alloa.

Airdrie will win at home to Peterhead and we need to make sure we are doing enough to avoid a dull slog to 7th or 8th place - still the most likely outcome at the moment imo.

At least one of the play off spots are still totally up for grabs.

Edited by DoonhamerDon

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They were renamed and moved to Livingston in the summer of 1995 so you're a few years out.

Jeezo, I hate getting old! Yes you are correct. I recall it was 0-0 too and getting soaked just completely topped it off. The positive was that I was living in Edinburgh at the time and didn't have far to walk home.

7 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Jeezo, I hate getting old! Yes you are correct. I recall it was 0-0 too and getting soaked just completely topped it off. The positive was that I was living in Edinburgh at the time and didn't have far to walk home.

I wasn't. God knows how long it took them to dry that bus out!

On 08/11/2022 at 09:50, Swarley said:

Getting old sucks.  Weather wise the worst game I remember was a Wednesday night home game at Annfield against Queens played in a gale and lashing rain. It was so bad the Stirling keeper had to make a save from his own kick out, after the wind picked it up and blew it right back at his goal.  I  think Queens won it  1 - 0 memory fails on the year. 1969 or 1970 maybe?   All I really remember is that bloody howling gale and rain lashing straight at the covered end.. 

Anyway, I've always had a soft spot for Queen of the south, so good luck to you in climbing up that league.

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Any reason why Queens have stopped announcing their prize draw winners on a daily basis on social media and why do they never announce the monthly £1,000 winner ? The new graphics being used recently could be used for the above. 

I'm sure they name the winners on the OS. Who'd have thought of looking there eh? They're also in the Standard too I believe. 

42 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure they name the winners on the OS. Who'd have thought of looking there eh? They're also in the Standard too I believe. 

They were on social media every day at midday but have stopped for some reason and it’s hard to understand why they don’t make more of a deal about the £1,000 deluxe draw winner. Poor show IMO. 

10 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

They were on social media every day at midday but have stopped for some reason and it’s hard to understand why they don’t make more of a deal about the £1,000 deluxe draw winner. Poor show IMO. 

I'm not on any social media platforms, ok I'm an old fart, but I suppose if you're used to something being on it and it stops then it's bound to be a bit inconvenient.