The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the excuse for the rest of the performances this season? The only time we've looked comfortable this season is against EFC. That excuse doesn't wash and tbh if that's what you truly believe in regards to Falkirk just being a better team then I'd be absolutely furious. We came into the season looking to challenge for the title and if Falkirk are "just a better team than us" then something has went seriously wrong. We should absolutely be competing in these games and yet were completely steamrolled today. If it was a Premiership side I'd probably have your relaxed reaction but the reality us it's a side who've been stinking this division out for years and they were miles ahead of us. Alarm bells should be ringing, not a 'ah well, there's always next week' feeling.

We have been poor in our last 3 games. Thankfully Peterhead and Clyde were extremely poor. Falkirk weren't fantastic today, they just did the basics well and we couldn't compete. Very worrying times indeed. We're not getting out this division at the top end this season unless something changes.

When was the last time we ever looked comfortable? 

Literally 5 seasons ago. 

We've been consistently shite for years and it comes to the point when you have to look a bit further than management level. 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Have they got a bigger squad? Better yeah but we're jam-packed with jobbers. 

There's a reason it's rammed with jobbers, the same reason Johnson's team was. Shit wages 

When was the last time we ever looked comfortable? 
Literally 5 seasons ago. 
We've been consistently shite for years and it comes to the point when you have to look a bit further than management level. 
8 games ago against FCE.

There's a reason it's rammed with jobbers, the same reason Johnson's team was. Shit wages 

Pish. I'd wager good money our wage bill is far higher than the average wage for a L1 player. The BoD have their faults but if we don't go up the buck stops with WG. If he didn't feel he could build a side with the wages available he shouldn't have taken the job.

3 hours ago, Kunter said:

To pretty much repeat what I said, we're playing one of the best teams in the division, first half we got punished for two misplaced passes and we had a make shift midfield - what did we honestly expect! 

After the 3rd, Falkirk dropped off a cliff.  

Full squad to chose from and that would have been a different result. 

We wouldn't have been able to cope had Josh Todd been available...would have been 5 or 6

A big well done to the board and manager for getting us to this position in league 1.

The lowest we have been in 20 years. If they keep on going at this rate we could be in the Southern Counties in three years. 

Billy will have planning permission for flats at Palmerston and Queens will be playing at the Kingholm. Or ground sharing with Terregles. 

4C5DDAC1-DB93-4962-88C4-85DE13A2F1D8.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

A reddy Palmy Pie - really? Tell me where I have gone wrong in that post.

The team and  club are an embarrassment at the moment.

I would like to think that everyone associated with the club are having strong words about the situation. Are they though - probably not.

Will you be happy to  accept being less shit in league 2, the lowland league and the southern counties? 

instead of looking at the root cause of the problem, we can maybe stick our head in the sand and pretend it isn’t happening.

Nothing to see here. Wibble.

27804172-776B-48D0-B4B4-2A17546C8FE5.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

I genuinely thought we couldn’t be as bad as we have been over the past 3 seasons. Yet our current squad are exceeding those levels of ineptitude. 

The board and the sadly the manager are not up to the task. If they care for the club they will all leave their post in the next week.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Seriously think that Billy Hewitson must have pissed in Kunter's beer or something, as every fault seems to be put on the Chairman.

Have you not noticed the state of the club and the decline in the last 5+ seasons. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

8 games ago against FCE.

Pish. I'd wager good money our wage bill is far higher than the average wage for a L1 player. The BoD have their faults but if we don't go up the buck stops with WG. If he didn't feel he could build a side with the wages available he shouldn't have taken the job.

If you were going for promotion would you have chosen Wullie in the first place? I certainly wouldn't.  Under caretaker management he didn't do anything to suggest we would be lighting up this division. It was a pure heart ruling head decision. Give the lad a chance scenario. 

It's a large squad but it's a young squad. I highly doubt he decided to chose numbers over quality. We looks pretty clear we simply can't attract the better players and that's usually down to one of three things, wages, contacts or poor facilities. 

Yes we should be better than most in the league but our advantage of being full time over the lower end of the scale teams in this division is just fitness not necessarily ability. 

With all respect your in a very similar situation we’ve had to endure for five or so seasons. Decent budgets wasted on players and managers. Actually think Gibson is a decent bloke but trust me, although we are no where near the finished article, an experienced coaching staff that we’ve brought in has made a huge difference.

8 hours ago, qos_75 said:

A big well done to the board and manager for getting us to this position in league 1.

The lowest we have been in 20 years. If they keep on going at this rate we could be in the Southern Counties in three years. 

Billy will have planning permission for flats at Palmerston and Queens will be playing at the Kingholm. Or ground sharing with Terregles. 

You can almost predict the future; 

Failure to get promotion, dwindling attendances means forced to go part time.

Ground fails annual safety inspection due to neglected - forced to relocate.... The rest will be history..

The boo’s were merited at half time. It was a brutal watch. Cheap goals to lose, admittedly, but to be four down at the break wouldn’t have been a disservice to Falkirk. 

Just horribly disjointed. A lot of Queens issues  stemmed from no obvious central midfield partnership. Cochrane and Gibson were miles apart at times, leaving space all around which either Falkirk exploited (easily) or left others trying to fill in (which gave reason to no obvious system/formation and players unsure of roles). Agree that Cochrane was at least trying. Gibson had a torrid time. Towards the end of the first half when we had a corner, he looked beaten with no instructions or motivation forthcoming. This was evident until the referee kindly blew for full time. Worrying - and I want it to work for him (and Queens) - but it’s just not there. As others have rightly stated, there’s no obvious formation/system and at this stage, there should be. 

I’m likely in the minority but Bange offered (slightly) more than Ruth. Can’t really see anything  in Ruth, lost the ball continually. Then again, the game was essentially over and very little support given to him when he came on.

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

You can almost predict the future; 

Failure to get promotion, dwindling attendances means forced to go part time.

Ground fails annual safety inspection due to neglected - forced to relocate.... The rest will be history..

Christ, I thought I was a pessimist.

Unloved though Palmerston looks, that last one sounds like a bit of a leap.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

With all respect your in a very similar situation we’ve had to endure for five or so seasons. Decent budgets wasted on players and managers. Actually think Gibson is a decent bloke but trust me, although we are no where near the finished article, an experienced coaching staff that we’ve brought in has made a huge difference.

Fair points there @Springfield.  Recruitment is such a big part of the game - starts with having a BOD that has the football knowledge and capability to sift through and correctly evaluate managerial candidates, but it then continues quickly onto the employed manager's ability to recruit sensibly and "spot a player".  Then it moves onto coaching, tactical nous and motivational skills of the manager ... but the recruitment skills of both the BOD and the manager are fundamentally important.

Now its easy for us fans to be critical of BODs when recruiting managers, but I'm not going to kid myself that its an easy process - especially with the limited range of managerial candidates that we can aspire to at our level.

Edited by Otis Blue

3 hours ago, Kunter said:

Have you not noticed the state of the club and the decline in the last 5+ seasons. 

The decline of the club started well before the last 5 seasons, it started when the jovial, silver haired farmer in the yellow jacket almost put the club out of business with his big spending. 2008 should have been the springboard to bigger and better times but it was badly mismanaged and we're still paying the price imo. To the fans it felt like a great time to be a Queens fan, but the reality is we have never really recovered from that period. The current Board and Chairman have done plenty of things wrong but they deserve a bit of credit for at least keeping us full time on limited budget, introducing other income streams (The Arena for example) and trying to operate without incurring excessive debts. The other reality is that there is no obvious or known individuals willing to take on the Chair or Board positions. The people calling for change are usually the quietest when asked what the alternative is. 

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The decline of the club started well before the last 5 seasons, it started when the jovial, silver haired farmer in the yellow jacket almost put the club out of business with his big spending. 2008 should have been the springboard to bigger and better times but it was badly mismanaged and we're still paying the price imo. To the fans it felt like a great time to be a Queens fan, but the reality is we have never really recovered from that period. The current Board and Chairman have done plenty of things wrong but they deserve a bit of credit for at least keeping us full time on limited budget, introducing other income streams (The Arena for example) and trying to operate without incurring excessive debts. The other reality is that there is no obvious or known individuals willing to take on the Chair or Board positions. The people calling for change are usually the quietest when asked what the alternative is. 

How was it mismanaged ?