The Queen of the South thread

How do you 'know' this?
I was speaking to someone who is 'as good as source as any' and when I asked if these rumours were true they confirmed it was partly down to the chairman not wanting him to pick himself. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not one for rumours but without saying exactly who the person is, I can guarantee they will know for sure and wouldn't just make a story up.

19 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

Tbh, i thought it was pretty common knowledge. Do you think he's not playing cause he's injured? He's certainly not injured 

No, I don't think he's injured, but such an intervention would be outrageous, and I'd be amazed to learn that it had happened and been accepted.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I don't think he's injured, but such an intervention would be outrageous, and I'd be amazed to learn that it had happened and been accepted.

It's either accept it or walk away from your first management job, knowing you might not get another one. 

1 minute ago, Baller69 said:

It's either accept it or walk away from your first management job, knowing you might not get another one. 

...or obey it and achieve results that make it likely you'll lose your first management job and not get another one.

It's a remarkable sounding allegation to me.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

...or obey it and achieve results that make it likely you'll lose your first management job and not get another one.

It's a remarkable sounding allegation to me.

That's exactly the dilemma Wullie has got. Remarkable sounding but true, believe me! 

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:
How do you 'know' this?

I was speaking to someone who is 'as good as source as any' and when I asked if these rumours were true they confirmed it was partly down to the chairman not wanting him to pick himself. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not one for rumours but without saying exactly who the person is, I can guarantee they will know for sure and wouldn't just make a story up.

It is usually me who posts rubbish but glad someone else does as well .

This has to go down as the most stupid post ever amazed somebody even gives this rumour a thought .

The chairman will have no input in team selection or what formation the team play  amazed some fans think that .

Do some fans think Wullie has to contact the chairmen say to him we have a few injuries this week is it okay for me to play 

This has to go down as the most stupid post ever amazed somebody even gives this rumour a thought .

The chairman will have no input in team selection or what formation the team play  amazed some fans think that .
Do some fans think Wullie has to contact the chairmen say to him we have a few injuries this week is it okay for me to play 

But The Chairman does directly hire the Manager, and as his 'line manager', I'm sure he'll be telling him how he wants him to perform his managerial duties. Not saying I agree with him but I would say it is within the Chairman's remit.

Sigh. Have to bite sadly. You can believe what you want, I really don't care. But given who it was told me then I have absolutely no doubt what they say is true. They will have a better inside knowledge than 99% of people.

43 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The chairman and directors did exactly this from the 1950s to the mid 90s.  Nearly every single manager through the door during that period from George Farm to Willie McLean to Frank McGarvey to Ally McLeod are on record confirming this.  No reason to believe it would never happen again or that it isn't indeed happening just now.

Edited by Slipmat

48 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

That's exactly the dilemma Wullie has got. Remarkable sounding but true, believe me! 

Well why did the chairman not just give him the job as manager not player-manager. Absolute nonsense. To me reason WG is not playing is he is obviously got a few niggles or injuries as when he is available he is either on the bench or starting. 

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

The chairman and directors did exactly this from the 1950s to the mid 90s.  Nearly every single manager through the door during that period from George Farm to Willie McLean to Frank McGarvey to Ally McLeod are on record confirming this.  No reason to believe it would never happen again or that it isn't indeed happening just now.

I would be surprised if some of the managers we've had in Hewitsons time would put up with interference from the Board, plus if it is known that the Board do interfere ( which I doubt) it would put experienced Manegerial candidates off coming here. 

Well why did the chairman not just give him the job as manager not player-manager. Absolute nonsense. To me reason WG is not playing is he is obviously got a few niggles or injuries as when he is available he is either on the bench or starting. 

Your injury theory falls short when you go on to say he either plays or puts himself on the bench. Why on earth would a fit WG, and one of if not the best player we have, put himself on the bench if he is fit to play?...
Could not make yesterday can someone give me a run down in how the game went who played well or did not play well. 

We were comfortable without creating very much. It was a comfortable 2-0 victory but the performance was lethargic for large parts. Don't get me wrong, I'll kill for that kind of feedback in our next home game but I was hoping for a wee bit more against the side almost definitely taking 10th spot this season.

16 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

At this moment in time, Wullie has been told by the chairman that his job is as a manager and not to play. If results don't improve, that stance may change or Wullie might decide, I'll play and get sacked on my terms. He definitely wasn't injured yesterday or has any niggles. He is 100% fit. 

41 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Yep, this was pretty well common knowledge back in the day ...

At this moment in time, Wullie has been told by the chairman that his job is as a manager and not to play. If results don't improve, that stance may change or Wullie might decide, I'll play and get sacked on my terms. He definitely wasn't injured yesterday or has any niggles. He is 100% fit. 

If this is the case, which I would very much doubt, why has Wullie been playing at all this season?

If true (and a few folk on here are saying it is true) then this is depressing stuff ...

Don't hear of the Airdrie board telling McCabe to stay on the sidelines.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, this was pretty well common knowledge back in the day ...

Well, yes, and it was widely regarded as scandalous then too.  

In fact it was interspersed with the odd spell where there wasn't even a pretence that Harkness wasn't picking the team.

It doesn't really make it any likelier, or otherwise, that it's happening now though.