The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. Wilson's been terrific for us and improved greatly second half but he was a yard off it throughout the first half . Cochrane wasnt exactly excelling but he was making himself available and trying to play passes. And at least one of the two times he was caught in possession absolutely nobody warned him. 

You see that always amuses me, a player in possession of the ball  being surprised that opponents will try and take it off him and needs his teammates to warn him. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You see that always amuses me, a player in possession of the ball  being surprised that opponents will try and take it off him and needs his teammates to warn him. 

Its surprising any team-mate ever bothers to shout "Man on" then what with all these players capable of owl-like panaramic vision.

46 minutes ago, Honky Tonk Man said:

BTW what is going on with the BBC League One Top Scorers table? Annan, Forfar and Dumbarton apparently playing in our league. 

it's been like that for months. Basically BBC and Sky to a lesser extent don't put any real time or resources into maintaining the lower league web pages. The online betting sites do a far better job of the stats.

10 points in first quarter is an extremely poor return for a FT squad in League 1. The fact that FC Edinburgh are top of the league speaks volumes about the underlying quality of the opposition.

Players have to shoulder most of the blame and I am far from convinced that they have “enough about them” to turn this around. That said the selection and tactical decisions continue to handicap us game after game:-

— Gibson rarely starting

- almost every game the starting formation rarely lasts until half time by which time it needs a radical overhaul

- key players being overlooked 

- yesterday for example McGrory dropped in favour of Cochrane???Paton harshly dropped considering he has largely been excellent since start of season 

- with the exception of East the other CBs all look soft, weak and poor positionally

We have some decent players but overall game management is woeful. Yesterday we get a dream start as we did against Clyde and Annan and in no time at all we find ourselves chasing these games. 

Consistently fielding our best players in a good solid repeatable formation would be a good start.

On 09/10/2022 at 06:54, Rjc-1988 said:

10 points in first quarter is an extremely poor return for a FT squad in League 1. The fact that FC Edinburgh are top of the league speaks volumes about the underlying quality of the opposition.

Players have to shoulder most of the blame and I am far from convinced that they have “enough about them” to turn this around. That said the selection and tactical decisions continue to handicap us game after game:-

— Gibson rarely starting

- almost every game the starting formation rarely lasts until half time by which time it needs a radical overhaul

- key players being overlooked 

- yesterday for example McGrory dropped in favour of Cochrane???Paton harshly dropped considering he has largely been excellent since start of season 

- with the exception of East the other CBs all look soft, weak and poor positionally

We have some decent players but overall game management is woeful. Yesterday we get a dream start as we did against Clyde and Annan and in no time at all we find ourselves chasing these games. 

Consistently fielding our best players in a good solid repeatable formation would be a good start.

Great Post 

Excellent summary by RJC.

Think the Game Management or lack thereof is an excellent point. 

Holding on to leads, snatching draws from losing positions, turning draws to wins with a spark of creativity, grinding out results while not playing well are all hallmarks of a side able to fight at the top end of the table.

Instead we are throwing away leads and capitulating when we go behind. 

It builds from the defence. We scored more in Q1 than Dunfermline but conceded 12 more!

...and capitulating when we go behind. 

This probably isn't true this season tbh. I'm by no means saying we've been great/haven't had a couple of hidings. But literally half our points this season have come from losing positions. It's not great but I reckon it's far better than when we were under AJ. When we went 1-0 down under that fraud it was practically game over.

I said earlier that I'd reserve judgement until the end of Q2.  I enjoyed the game at Airdrie, thought we played well and were arguably the better side on the day.  Yes, we can improve defensively and avoid giving away cheap possession but I thought we looked a better prospect overall than in the first game against Airdrie at Palmy.  I got the impression that we are on an upward curve (albeit a shallow one).

We're clearly not where we want to be in the table, but the next three games (Kelty, Peterhead and Clyde) are a huge opportunity - if we score below half marks in those then we will fall short of the play-offs.  Looking at the table, of the clubs above us we have outplayed Edinburgh and Alloa and have been no worse than Airdrie or Montrose.  That leaves only Dunfermline and Falkirk who have been a level above us - hardly a great surprise going into the season given their budgets.

I get the frustration at being the lowest placed FT side - but that can be an overworked argument, plenty of instances out there of arguably higher quality PT players preferring to maintain a day job/career.  That said, being FT should at least achieve a better level of organisation.

I'm not a fan of player/manager roles but I think given his quality we really need WG to be in our side when he's fit.

Summary - a bit too early for the wailing and gnashing of teeth yet.

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Anyone know if there will be live updates from Kelty on the QoS Official Site?

I'm fairly sure there won't be. I know Mr X, who was going to do them, is now unable to go and as far as I know they don't stream games.

I don't do Twitter but if there's a reasonable 3G / 4G signal there I might try to put some up on the Facebook page which I can access.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm fairly sure there won't be. I know Mr X, who was going to do them, is now unable to go and as far as I know they don't stream games.

I don't do Twitter but if there's a reasonable 3G / 4G signal there I might try to put some up on the Facebook page which I can access.

Thanks for response, I don't do Twitter either, or Facebook for that matter, so looks like I'll be relying on BBC updates or posts on P&B. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Anyone know if there will be live updates from Kelty on the QoS Official Site?

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I have organised a stand in. It's their first time, so who knows how it will go! 

33 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I have organised a stand in. It's their first time, so who knows how it will go! 

Not to worry, everyone has a first time!

Seriously, appreciate what any volunteers do to help. 👍

What does WG do tonight. We were shocking defensively on Saturday but suppose he does not have many options. Paton has to start over Ruth and imagine he will continue with Cochrane because of his goal. We need to be more aggressive all over the park as Kelty have some good players. Low and Barjonas are good in midfield they have pace and goals upfront. If we don't play wee they will give us problems. 

5 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

What does WG do tonight. We were shocking defensively on Saturday but suppose he does not have many options. Paton has to start over Ruth and imagine he will continue with Cochrane because of his goal. We need to be more aggressive all over the park as Kelty have some good players. Low and Barjonas are good in midfield they have pace and goals upfront. If we don't play wee they will give us problems. 

If Wullie can’t play, I’d play the back 3 like we have and have McKechnie in Wullie’s RWB role. Team I’d pick - Fox, D. McKay, East, McKenna, McKechnie, Hendrie, Wilson, Todd, Connelly (if fit), Reilly and Paton