The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Wullie knocking back rumours of any rift with Connelly in today's papers. Its those keyboard warriors starting rumours again. Nothing to see here. 

Good to hear.  Did he say why he doesn't start lately?  Might stop the speculation ...

Just now, Otis Blue said:

Good to hear.  Did he say why he doesn't start lately?  Might stop the speculation ...

I can't do a link to the feature but basically Wullie's had a chat with Lee to explain his position and what Lee needs to add to his game for the current set-up. Wullie says he has a good working relationship with Lee but can't stop people speculating on social media. Maybe this article will help clear it up. 

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can't do a link to the feature but basically Wullie's had a chat with Lee to explain his position and what Lee needs to add to his game for the current set-up. Wullie says he has a good working relationship with Lee but can't stop people speculating on social media. Maybe this article will help clear it up. 

Aye cheers for that.  Sounds like its maybe down to his overall work rate for the team which WG sees as lacking.  We all know Lee has talent in abundance but seems WG is looking for more.

As a kind of loosely related aside, I took my Jambo son to Tynie last night to watch the lesson doled out by Fiorentina.  It's just so enlightening to watch first hand how elite Europeans play the game ...  the work rate from all players is so high (movement off the ball when in possession and pressing to recover possession when its lost), the fitness and the strength too - these guys do some serious gym work, they bullied Hearts in challenges.  Talented players are expected to graft too.  So much of the gap between our leagues is down to coaching I think ... apologies in advance for meandering here ...!

Wullie knocking back rumours of any rift with Connelly in today's papers. Its those keyboard warriors starting rumours again. Nothing to see here. 
Our most dangerous player is benched and we struggled to convert numerous chances last weekend. I hardly think it's the most shocking thing to see folk questioning if there's been a falling out.

Good to hear there isn't of course. But I think WG is going to have to get the best from Lee sooner rather than later.

47 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our most dangerous player is benched and we struggled to convert numerous chances last weekend. I hardly think it's the most shocking thing to see folk questioning if there's been a falling out.

Good to hear there isn't of course. But I think WG is going to have to get the best from Lee sooner rather than later.

Reading the article it was Lee's mother who asked Lee if there had been a falling out after she read someone posting it on social media. Going by Wullie's comments it was from a poster who regularly posts negative/unfounded comments. 

Edit to add: I'm not exactly sure what Wullie is expecting from Lee, he's hardly built to win physical battles in midfield, daft sending off excepted, he takes players on, and knows where the goals are, tracking back might be an issue but I'd rather see him stay forward. Only Wullie can explain what more is wanted. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Reading the article it was Lee's mother who asked Lee if there had been a falling out after she read someone posting it on social media. Going by Wullie's comments it was from a poster who regularly posts negative/unfounded comments. 
Edit to add: I'm not exactly sure what Wullie is expecting from Lee, he's hardly built to win physical battles in midfield, daft sending off excepted, he takes players on, and knows where the goals are, tracking back might be an issue but I'd rather see him stay forward. Only Wullie can explain what more is wanted. 

Found a link there https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-brands-claims-28162790

Going by that I'm assuming it's someone on FB or the like. I'd wager good money on who the culprit may be and I don't even have FB [emoji38]

As I say though, people are going to speculate as to why one of our best players isn't getting any game time. It's the nature of the beast really. I'm not sure what WG expects either tbh. He doesn't track as well as other players like you say but I'd be willing to sacrifice that part of his game for the threat he possesses at the other end. I don't think we have another player like him who can create something from nothing.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Found a link there https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-brands-claims-28162790

Going by that I'm assuming it's someone on FB or the like. I'd wager good money on who the culprit may be and I don't even have FB emoji38.png

As I say though, people are going to speculate as to why one of our best players isn't getting any game time. It's the nature of the beast really. I'm not sure what WG expects either tbh. He doesn't track as well as other players like you say but I'd be willing to sacrifice that part of his game for the threat he possesses at the other end. I don't think we have another player like him who can create something from nothing.

It was on Twitter and Wullie shot our very own Greenacres down in flames. 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Going by that I'm assuming it's someone on FB or the like. I'd wager good money on who the culprit may be and I don't even have FB emoji38.png

Talking of creating something from nothing, that link provides a perfect example of "standard" (please excuse the pun!) sensationalist tabloid football journalism where a non-story gets blown totally out of proportion and is then given full back page coverage, even to the extent of including cliched textbook terminology such as "slammed",  "confrontation" and "battle" in the article.

From what I read of the original tweet, our jolly chum from on here appeared to state that he thinks Wullie has his favourite players who are guaranteed automatic starts, and Wullie politely but firmly refuted the suggestion in his reply.   No mention of any fall-out with Connelly, but the reporter must have decided that was the story he wanted to get out, pressed Wullie on the matter and he seems to have somewhat naively mentioned his conversation with Lee and his mother.

Possibly a lesson in media management for Wullie then.  Don't reply to social media posts from fans and keep team matters in house when journalists are fishing for stories.

Edited by Slipmat

13 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Talking of creating something from nothing, that link provides a perfect example of "standard" (please excuse the pun!) sensationalist tabloid football journalism where a non-story gets blown totally out of proportion and is then given full back page coverage, even to the extent of including cliched textbook terminology such as "slammed",  "confrontation" and "battle" in the article.

From what I read of the original tweet, our jolly chum from on here appeared to state that he thinks Wullie has his favourite players who are guaranteed automatic starts, and Wullie politely but firmly refuted the suggestion in his reply.   No mention of any fall-out with Connelly, but the reporter must have decided that was the story he wanted to get out, pressed Wullie on the matter and he seems to have somewhat naively mentioned his conversation with Lee and his mother.

Possibly a lesson in media management for Wullie then.  Don't reply to social media posts from fans and keep team matters in house when journalists are fishing for stories.

However the story came about I'm sure quite a few Queens fans are baffled as to why Lee isn't getting game time, and this does at least put one theory to bed. 

Would like to see Connelly come in for Reilly for todays game. I know he scored last week but don’t think Reilly has been getting involved as much as he should in general play, will be interesting to see whether Wullie starts him after it’s been highlighted earlier this week.

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

The abuse Cochrane has been getting is fucking shocking. Glad he scored there to shut them up 

Tbf he's been mince before that, losing possession, misplacing passes, getting outpaced with a head start, cracking goal though. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Tbf he's been mince before that, losing possession, misplacing passes, getting outpaced with a head start, cracking goal though. 

He’s showing for the ball the whole time, and effectively doing the work of two because Wilson has been miles off it, I’ve seen ships turn quicker than he does today

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

The abuse Cochrane has been getting is fucking shocking. Glad he scored there to shut them up 

He scored a cracking goal, but that apart don’t kid yourself on, he had a shocker. Was lucky not to get sent off before getting taken off.

Couldn’t agree less with the comments about Wilson as well. No coincidence since he’s came back into the team, we haven’t lost a game. 

29 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

He scored a cracking goal, but that apart don’t kid yourself on, he had a shocker. Was lucky not to get sent off before getting taken off.

Couldn’t agree less with the comments about Wilson as well. No coincidence since he’s came back into the team, we haven’t lost a game. 

I think Wilson has been our best player this season, all I was pointing out was that he had a shocker in the first half, he improved a lot in the second.

Another draw which stops the rot for us but will do little for both clubs as we drop back from the others.

That quick opener must have been a boost to Queens but I felt Airdrie did get back into it well, and earned the lead. I could be churlish and moan about how much space we left but it was a cracker by Cochrane.

The second half was even but I thought we'd done it with Smith's third but the old cliche about losing a quick goal ,struck. 

I felt  the second yellow and red card was a bit soft and I am reluctant to get too critical until I see the highlights.

Queens had one good chance but never really created much against ten men. 

On your players I thought Wilson was very good and wish we had some similar dig/composure in our midfield. 

Still only October but I don't see a title winner here.

40 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I think Wilson has been our best player this season, all I was pointing out was that he had a shocker in the first half, he improved a lot in the second.

This. Wilson's been terrific for us and improved greatly second half but he was a yard off it throughout the first half . Cochrane wasnt exactly excelling but he was making himself available and trying to play passes. And at least one of the two times he was caught in possession absolutely nobody warned him. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter