The Queen of the South thread

42 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Good to have some football to talk about again this weekend - even if the likelihood of it being an enjoyable experience is still pretty slim.

In isolation its still only really that Clyde result opening day that stands out as a shocker. Losing at home to Dunfermline and away to Falkirk is disappointing but not of themselves unexpected/unrealistic

That being said I am fast running out of reasons to defend Wullie and the team and we now have a run of fixtures which we need to get a serious points return on if we are to get anywhere this season. 

Next 5 games are Edinburgh (H), Alloa (H), Airdrie (A), Peterhead (H), Clyde (A)  - if we're still on barely a point a game after that then we are in real serious trouble.  

Re Falkirk (away) and Dunfermline (home) games, you are right in what you say, losing to those teams shouldn't be entirely unexpected but it's more the manner of the defeats that is the problem , toothless at Falkirk I believe (wasn't there) and the same against Dunfermline for two thirds of the game. Obviously I don't enjoy Queens losing games but if they at least looked like they were trying to match the opponents it would make defeat a bit more acceptable. The ball is very much in Wullie's court, his squad, his tactics, he has had injuries and suspension to key players so maybe hasn't been able to field his strongest 11 ( not sure myself what that is) but it looks like at least a couple just aren't of the level we need to challenge at the top end of the division. 

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Re Falkirk (away) and Dunfermline (home) games, you are right in what you say, losing to those teams shouldn't be entirely unexpected but it's more the manner of the defeats that is the problem , toothless at Falkirk I believe (wasn't there) and the same against Dunfermline for two thirds of the game. Obviously I don't enjoy Queens losing games but if they at least looked like they were trying to match the opponents it would make defeat a bit more acceptable. The ball is very much in Wullie's court, his squad, his tactics, he has had injuries and suspension to key players so maybe hasn't been able to field his strongest 11 ( not sure myself what that is) but it looks like at least a couple just aren't of the level we need to challenge at the top end of the division. 

I was at the Falkirk game and, yes, toothless is probably the most polite way of describing that 'performance'.

I hope that the  break has given WG time to reflect on just how poorly things have gone in our league campaign. The results are one thing but the performances have been dreadful with only the occasional positive individual performance to draw on. It is , of course, the collective team performance that is the key here and I will be extremely disappointed and indeed disillusioned if we don’t see some significant personnel and tactical changes on Saturday. What happened to this vision of fast, attacking football built on width, pace and high pressure when we don't have the ball?

A complete change of focus required starting on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I hope that the  break has given WG time to reflect on just how poorly things have gone in our league campaign. The results are one thing but the performances have been dreadful with only the occasional positive individual performance to draw on. It is , of course, the collective team performance that is the key here and I will be extremely disappointed and indeed disillusioned if we don’t see some significant personnel and tactical changes on Saturday. What happened to this vision of fast, attacking football built on width, pace and high pressure when we don't have the ball?

A complete change of focus required starting on Saturday.

Teams quickly suss out that we are soft and easily out-muscled, they also suss our back line isn't comfortable on the ball under pressure so press high up on us forcing the defence to play long which is wasted on the likes of Connelly, Paton and Murray. When teams stand off us, like Dunfermline did in bits of the second half, we can look good passing the ball about, sometimes a bit too square and backward mind, but at least it gives our ball players a bit more freedom. If we could only instil a bit of physical presence and not be as nicey, nicey when teams are bullying us we should be able to match teams better. Wullie will either have to toughen up what he's got or bring some harder players. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Teams quickly suss out that we are soft and easily out-muscled, they also suss our back line isn't comfortable on the ball under pressure so press high up on us forcing the defence to play long which is wasted on the likes of Connelly, Paton and Murray. When teams stand off us, like Dunfermline did in bits of the second half, we can look good passing the ball about, sometimes a bit too square and backward mind, but at least it gives our ball players a bit more freedom. If we could only instil a bit of physical presence and not be as nicey, nicey when teams are bullying us we should be able to match teams better. Wullie will either have to toughen up what he's got or bring some harder players. 

We are desperate for a aggressive centre half all the defenders we have are soft it is  not in them to be tough.

In the whole squad we only really have Wilson who has any aggression hence the reason why we are struggling .

Still time to add loan signings but some will have to go out as we have far to many players just now .

We need quality added to the squad when we have a chance of signing Nicky Low we take it.

Wullie saying his squad  is complete he has good and healthy number  but it would take a standout player to do business Nicky Low is that he will easily be the best midfielder in the League.

You can have healthy number of players but you need quality to go along with that do we have that I am not so sure. 

34 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We need quality added to the squad when we have a chance of signing Nicky Low we take it.

Wullie saying his squad  is complete he has good and healthy number  but it would take a standout player to do business Nicky Low is that he will easily be the best midfielder in the League.

You can have healthy number of players but you need quality to go along with that do we have that I am not so sure. 

Well, you know, apart from the fact that Nicky Low is part time, of questionable fitness, wouldn't be able to train with the team and signed for Kelty Hearts last week that's a truly inspirational suggestion.

53 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

talking blah blah blah GIF

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well, you know, apart from the fact that Nicky Low is part time, of questionable fitness, wouldn't be able to train with the team and signed for Kelty Hearts last week that's a truly inspirational suggestion.

Wullie spoke to him before he signed for Kelty part time not a problem fitness now as good as it has ever been would have been a inspirational signing you said yourself he will be the best midfielder in League 1 with Kelty .

Just now, Greenacres said:

Wullie spoke to him before he signed for Kelty part time not a problem fitness now as good as it has ever been would have been a inspirational signing you said yourself he will be the best midfielder in League 1 with Kelty .

I said "A FIT NICKY LOW would be the best midfielder in this league". That's not the same thing.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Surprised that Wullie  even bothered to talk to Low before he went to Kelty if it's such an outlandish idea. He should maybe have sought your views on the player first and  saved a phone call. 

45 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Surprised to see Low going out on loan at all, as I thought he just about started every game for Arbroath.

As SD mentioned earlier a change in Low's off-field circumstances meant he wasn't able to make it to training with Arbroath in Perth, although other factors may have contributed to him being loaned out. 

Just a quick question, we've recently moved to Scotland so my kids and I (two girls, 6 and 4) decided that we would get to know our new home country by visiting all 42 league grounds (not very quickly, admittedly - I think at this rate they'll be in high school before we get finished).

Where we can we've been collecting programmes from the games we've attended and keeping them as souvenirs. We came down for the Edinburgh game today, which was thoroughly enjoyable, and we'll definitely be back again, but I didn't see anybody selling programmes nor did I spot anybody in the stands with one as far as I could see. Are you one of the clubs which has done away with physical programmes, or did I just miss them this afternoon? Cheers.

Edited by RightFootLeftFoot

4 minutes ago, RightFootLeftFoot said:

Just a quick question, we've recently moved to Scotland so my kids and I (two girls, 6 and 4) decided that we would get to know our new home country by visiting all 42 league grounds (not very quickly, admittedly - I think at this rate they'll be in high school before we get finished).

Where we can we've been collecting programmes from the games we've attended and keeping them as souvenirs. We came down for the Edinburgh game today, which was thoroughly enjoyable, and we'll definitely be back again, but I didn't see anybody selling programmes nor did I spot anybody in the stands with one as far as I can see. Are you one of the clubs which has done away with physical programmes, or did I just miss them this afternoon? Cheers.

Firstly, home games for Queen of the South can very rarely be described as enjoyable (for Queens fans anyway), today was a surprising and welcome exception. 

Regarding programmes, I think we have gone to on-line programmes, I would think production costs of printed programmes would make it prohibitive giving our declining crowds and therefore less sales. 

Glad you enjoyed your day at Palmerston, hopefully future visits will be just as enjoyable. 

32 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Regarding programmes, I think we have gone to on-line programmes, I would think production costs of printed programmes would make it prohibitive giving our declining crowds and therefore less sales. 

There have been programs at home games this season but didn't see any today either

9 hours ago, RightFootLeftFoot said:

Where we can we've been collecting programmes from the games we've attended and keeping them as souvenirs. We came down for the Edinburgh game today, which was thoroughly enjoyable, and we'll definitely be back again, but I didn't see anybody selling programmes nor did I spot anybody in the stands with one as far as I could see. Are you one of the clubs which has done away with physical programmes, or did I just miss them this afternoon? Cheers.

Glad you enjoyed coming down for the game! Doing the 42 is a great way to see the country. I’ve not done it consciously, but think I’m about 6 or 7 away now. Should tick a couple of those off this season. 

On the programmes, you didn’t miss them. I heard a guy asking for a programme when I was in the club shop and he was told there was a printing issue. We do still usually have them I believe. 

2 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Glad you enjoyed coming down for the game! Doing the 42 is a great way to see the country. I’ve not done it consciously, but think I’m about 6 or 7 away now. Should tick a couple of those off this season. 

On the programmes, you didn’t miss them. I heard a guy asking for a programme when I was in the club shop and he was told there was a printing issue. We do still usually have them I believe. 

From what I’m told the wrong badge was put on programme