The Queen of the South thread

10 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Must win. Lost. 

Men v Boys completely out classed the pen summed us up pathetic from Paton.

On this form we are heading for the relegation playoffs .

Never thought I would say this but with Wullie as manager we are worse than when AJ was here .

45 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Never thought I would say this but with Wullie as manager we are worse than when AJ was here .

Cmon Billy pull the trigger. The loyal fans deserve better.

it’s clear wullie is not up to the job

49 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Painfully true canny hang on to Gibson like the board did with johnstone 

It's another garbage home display but have to cut them some slack with playing Rangers mid week.  Dunfermline didn't look anything particularly special despite being better than us on the day. 

The team we finished with was streets ahead of the one we started. 

Get Fox in goal, start with that final 11 incorporating the this striker from Blackpool and hopefully we'll do a bit better. 

Since the football was over so depressingly quickly this afternoon I had a proper look at our home form relative to others and it is not only longer-running than I appreciated but actually "worst in the country" levels of terrible 😬

Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 47 points at home in the league from 48 games.

2019/20 - 14 pts from 14 games

2020/21 - 15 pts from 13 games

2021/22 - 17 pts from 18 games

2022/23 - 1pt from 3 games

AFAICS no other team (still) in SPFL has fewer points over that period at home. Only Hamilton have less points per game but played more during Covid when in the Prem. 

Kelty actually have more points in 21 home games since joining the league than our 48 game effort.

Unchanged personnel from that which started against Rangers today but they looked like they had only been introduced to each other half an hour before kick off.  Once again we didn't turn up in the first half at all which has been the story of the majority of games I've seen this season.  Playing better after a half-time bollocking is all well and good but we're giving ourselves mountains to climb.  There is something severely amiss as to how we start games, whether it's poor selection, motivation or preparation or a combination of all three I don't know.

Wullie may not be keen on the idea but he 100% needs to be starting ahead of McKenna who is poor in the tackle and far too easily fooled or beaten by opponents.  I thought Cochrane was one of our better players last season but he just hasn't turned up this season and as a result it's like playing with 10 men from the get go when he starts.  Yet again a supposed centre forward by trade looks like our most competent defender despite us bringing a raft-load in over the summer.  Reilly is looking isolated and having to resort to buying cheap fouls in an effort to get other players up the pitch in support, and unfortunately he isn't looking much of a goal threat.  Currie must be averaging one clanger per game which is proving very costly. 

Other clubs have been quick to spot that if they press us we panic and give the ball away cheaply.  I'm not sure what we do at training but a team that has supposedly been built to play a short passing game needs to do a hell of a lot more work on ball retention.

We were embarrassingly bad today until Wilson, Gibson and latterly Ruth came on.  A host of changes are required for next week, starting with Currie, Cochrane and McKenna being punted.  With a squad of around 28 players now it's time to give others a chance to impress.  We've got Kelty who are starting to get their shit together, Edinburgh who knocked in 6 at Airdrie today and our bogey team Alloa coming up to complete the quarter and I can see the peg that Wullie's jacket is on getting a bit shoogly even before those three games are played out.

Edited by Slipmat

7 minutes ago, Kunter said:

It's another garbage home display but have to cut them some slack with playing Rangers mid week.  Dunfermline didn't look anything particularly special despite being better than us on the day. 

The team we finished with was streets ahead of the one we started. 

Get Fox in goal, start with that final 11 incorporating the this striker from Blackpool and hopefully we'll do a bit better. 

Dunfermline had that aggression that we don't have we are weak all over the pitch .

Expected to see the Blackpool striker on the bench is he injured already .

Wullie deserves a little more time hopefully he can turn it round but right now we are miles away from even being good enough to stay in League 1.

30 minutes ago, QOSfan019 said:

Painfully true canny hang on to Gibson like the board did with johnstone 

It's an interesting one.

There will be a natural reluctance to act again so soon after the last sacking.  The reality is too, that any sort of run would put us back into play-off contention.

However, it this continues and the prospect of that recedes further and gets replaced by genuine relegation worries, then a decision will need made.  Gibson doesn't have any managerial pedigree in the bank and his record is now shaping up badly.  We're a full-time side struggling badly in the 3rd tier.  

He can't afford many more setbacks of any type.

Since the football was over so depressingly quickly this afternoon I had a proper look at our home form relative to others and it is not only longer-running than I appreciated but actually "worst in the country" levels of terrible [emoji51]
Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 47 points at home in the league from 48 games.
2019/20 - 14 pts from 14 games
2020/21 - 15 pts from 13 games
2021/22 - 17 pts from 18 games
2022/23 - 1pt from 3 games
AFAICS no other team (still) in SPFL has fewer points over that period at home. Only Hamilton have less points per game but played more during Covid when in the Prem. 
Kelty actually have more points in 21 home games since joining the league than our 48 game effort.
Appalling stuff. We have some right moaning faced arseholes in our support - myself included at times. But Palmerston is far from a toxic place to play football (unless you're a goalkeeper) so I don't think the fans are the issue. The pitch is absolutely appalling, bobbles and bounces all over the place, is forever getting stuck in the players feet. Is it just a poor quality pitch or been badly maintained/overused? It may well be the biggest factor as to why our home form is so poor. However, you can't blame a shite pitch for poor marking and a lethargic approach to games. Our lack of sharpness is what let us down today and in most home games this season. Absolutely abysmal starts to games at times this season.