The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye this. Connolly goes down as one of our most successful managers but we forget he went through a shitload of players to get there. I think there wasn't a transfer market when he was here. I doubt he'd have been as successful if there was.

There weren't transfer windows when he did it, which enabled the huge turnover in players.

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

McCabe is 30. Gibson is 38.

I don't get your point here. Why does being younger make you more suited to balancing playing and managing?

I'm not sure age makes any difference really but if anything I'd have assumed being a bit older would make it easier due to having a bit more experience. Any player in their late 30s is already used to taking quite a senior role in the team on the pitch, the younger you are the more focused you tend to be on your own game. It's also worth noting that McCabe's assistant manager (Fordyce) also plays every game so he is getting no help from the sidelines (aside from Hutton and Prunty in a kind of cheerleading role), whereas Gibson has an assistant who has managed at a higher level than this which should also make it much easier.

We've no idea how things will go with McCabe in charge, it could all get too much and fall apart, so I'm not saying that copying him is somehow the answer. But I don't really understand your argument above for him not to play.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye this. Connolly goes down as one of our most successful managers but we forget he went through a shitload of players to get there. I think there wasn't a transfer market when he was here. I doubt he'd have been as successful if there was.

I suppose apart from a miracle, a kind of Arbroath last season, there's only really two ways to get a successful squad and that's either to spend on the quality or to go through a number of players till you get the right formula. 

For me the current squad combination is; a handful of experience, a batch of youth tipped with seasoned players at this level. Imo the latter being the problem.  

10 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

No disgrace in that.

Lovely goal from Connelly. More minutes for Hendrie.

Lots of positives from that. And then there's the financials. 

Hendrie, East and Cochrane the stand outs for me, fair play to Connelly as well for that finish

28 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

No disgrace in that.

Lovely goal from Connelly. More minutes for Hendrie.

Lots of positives from that. And then there's the financials. 

We had a nervous start then after the Connelly goal we seemed to gain confidence. 

The 2nd half we just never really got going did fine but if only we had that wee bit more quality we could have at least got a draw.

What was the attendance that is the most important thing about tonight already made £77,000  plus half the gate money .

5 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We had a nervous start then after the Connelly goal we seemed to gain confidence. 

The 2nd half we just never really got going did fine but if only we had that wee bit more quality we could have at least got a draw.

What was the attendance that is the most important thing about tonight already made £77,000  plus half the gate money .

30,500 odd I think, thought there was a lot more there

Quite happy with that to be fair.

D.McKay aggressive and gets across ground well. Agree with everyone else than WG is a better option than McKenna he misplaced so many passes tonight. But I take it WG has decided to step back from playing. Connelly has to play every week. Reilly a lot better tonight. Paton has to pass the ball he holds onto it to long for me. Wilson to add to midfield and alternate between Cochrane and McGrory beside him. Big cheque for that tonight 👍

A little thing that bothers me maybe more than it should is, like in today's press reports on last nights game, the press and Wullie Gibson mentioning that Lee Connolly supports Celtic. If they're playing for QoS I don't want to hear what side of the arse cheeks or any other team they support. 

I'm hoping that D McKay and Hendrie will become mainstays in the defence now and will hopefully stiffen it up a bit.

Wonder if some of the cash from last night might be allocated to Gibson to bolster the squad in a key area - if not before the end of this window (today?) or at least kept for the January window which could prove to be important for the season.  Maybe the cash will be put towards replacing our magic carpet pitch?

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

A little thing that bothers me maybe more than it should is, like in today's press reports on last nights game, the press and Wullie Gibson mentioning that Lee Connolly supports Celtic. If they're playing for QoS I don't want to hear what side of the arse cheeks or any other team they support. 

Aye its a pain right enough.  But we have to understand that the sports press up here inhabits the strange world of the OF bubble and 90% of their readers are supporters of OF (as are 90% of players up here) and are only interested in OF subjects.  Clubs such as QOS are just "pond life" to the media.  They'll come down to Palmy once in a blue moon and Chick Young will wax lyrical about the quaint old stadium with a clock above one of the goals and the crazy old fermer director with the hair and the yellow jacket.  You'll get much more sense on P&B.

46 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye its a pain right enough.  But we have to understand that the sports press up here inhabits the strange world of the OF bubble and 90% of their readers are supporters of OF (as are 90% of players up here) and are only interested in OF subjects.  Clubs such as QOS are just "pond life" to the media.  They'll come down to Palmy once in a blue moon and Chick Young will wax lyrical about the quaint old stadium with a clock above one of the goals and the crazy old fermer director with the hair and the yellow jacket.  You'll get much more sense on P&B.

I understand the Media reasons behind it, any excuse to stoke up OF rivalry but oor Wullie also mentioned it. Its not just the OF aspect anyway, it could be Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dalbeattie Star, Liverpool or any other team, its not relevant to them playing for QoS. As I say, it bothers me a lot more than it should. 

41 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I understand the Media reasons behind it, any excuse to stoke up OF rivalry but oor Wullie also mentioned it. Its not just the OF aspect anyway, it could be Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dalbeattie Star, Liverpool or any other team, its not relevant to them playing for QoS. As I say, it bothers me a lot more than it should. 

🤷‍♀️ Lee's a massive Celtic fan. He makes absolutely no secret of it. The press can be blamed for many things but I doubt any of them needed to delve to establish Lee's leanings.

Derek Lyle was infamously a Rangers season ticket holder and regular at Ibrox when not playing at the same time. Can't say either bothers me one bit.

As others have said in a variety of posts:
Best for me last night were Hendrie, D McKay, Todd, Connolly & East.
I was impressed by East’s willingness to take the ball in tight spots, despite the opposition. McKay showed good aggression & positional awareness, something we have been sadly lacking in central defence
Hendrie, after a sluggish start, came on to a really good game. Was aggressive when required and was calm in possession
Gav looked a bit fitter and more like himself
Connollys finish and all-round attitude were superb
Great & noisy travelling support
Looked more than 30,000 to me. Not many gaps in a 50,000 seat stadium.
Hopefully the lads can take a lot of confidence from this and we can kick on a bit in the league.
My vote would be to put our £150,000 share ( or whatever it is) straight into the new pitch fund.

I don't get your point here. Why does being younger make you more suited to balancing playing and managing?

It's not to do with balancing playing and managing, it's pretty tough to play at 38 wether you're the manager or not. I know Willie has been great the last couple of seasons, but Dobbie scored 42 goals one season before age caught up with even him! I think Willie the manager has recognised that Willie the player is no longer the best option.

It's not to do with balancing playing and managing, it's pretty tough to play at 38 wether you're the manager or not. I know Willie has been great the last couple of seasons, but Dobbie scored 42 goals one season before age caught up with even him! I think Willie the manager has recognised that Willie the player is no longer the best option.

Wullie the manager said earlier in the season that Wullie the player is the fittest player in the squad. I don't know what reason Wullie the manager isn't picking Wullie the player but I'm fairly confident age isn't a factor.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

🤷‍♀️ Lee's a massive Celtic fan. He makes absolutely no secret of it. The press can be blamed for many things but I doubt any of them needed to delve to establish Lee's leanings.

Derek Lyle was infamously a Rangers season ticket holder and regular at Ibrox when not playing at the same time. Can't say either bothers me one bit.

Yes SD, we know you have a certain myopia where the OF are concerned.