The Queen of the South thread

13 hours ago, Greenacres said:

It is getting the right target man look at Ayr he holds it up has a physical presence and can score goals.

Think I am in the minority that thinks we need that as another option .

As I've said before, it doesn't become another option it just tends to make punting the ball up to a big target man too easy an option and players will usually take the easy option. If you consider that our keeper and defenders often punt high balls up to our relatively small front men then the chances are that they will be only too happy to keep punting it up to a tall striker at every opportunity. Part of the problem of course may be that Innes Cameron may have put a lot of fans off the idea of wasting time with a big striker. 

I have said right from the 1st game against Annan that we are desperate for a aggressive centre half someone like a Muirhead at Partick.

We have defenders who are far to  easily bullied in fact really the whole team needs a backbone right from front to back .

Nowhere near good enough for the playoffs .

Rangers next heavy defeat but got to think of the money we will earn from the game .

Edited by Greenacres

100% agree that we need a proper centre half. Paul McKay has had a terrible start to the season every striker has bullied.him in the games I have seen. Always thought Dave McKay was hard done to getting dropped. He will come in now and hopefully plays well and keeps the jersey. Today was really poor first half again. Gave Falkirk to much space. Connor Murray totally missing today and Toddy played out of position all game. Frustrating to say the least. Paton should have scored more but taking too many touches for me. Onto Ibrox 🤯

Just now, Otis Blue said:

Is big Darren Brownlie getting games at Partick these days?  Don't know if we could afford him or someone like him - bit maybe with some cash from Ibrox?

Has he fully recovered from injury. Also can't forget how he downed tools for us when his move to Partick was confirmed. 

Strange that all of our early summer signings were defenders but Wullie seems totally in the dark as to whether to go with a back five or back four, and who to pick in said systems.  I haven't witnessed today's or last week's games, but from what I've seen this season I'd go with a back four of Wullie, D McKay, East and  Quitongo (or Hendrie - I can't comment on him as I haven't seen him yet).

That said, maybe it's time to play the loan card and bring in an experienced b*****d of a player with the ability to organise our own rabble and outmuscle opponents - if any such player is available.

We also need Connelly on the field for 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Is big Darren Brownlie getting games at Partick these days?  Don't know if we could afford him or someone like him - bit maybe with some cash from Ibrox?

He's had a few appearances from the subs bench since his long injury lay off...

57 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Has he fully recovered from injury. Also can't forget how he downed tools for us when his move to Partick was confirmed. 

"Downed tools" is a bit unfair.

As I recall, he just had a stinker then moved on quickly.  I really don't believe it was deliberate.   He always had accidents in him, and he had some that day.  Maybe, he lacked focus, but much as I grumbled at the time, I don't think he chucked it.  I actually think that players doing that is extremely rare.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

"Downed tools" is a bit unfair.

As I recall, he just had a stinker then moved on quickly.  I really don't believe it was deliberate.   He always had accidents in him, and he had some that day.  Maybe, he lacked focus, but much as I grumbled at the time, I don't think he chucked it.  I actually think that players doing that is extremely rare.

After an uninspiring start to his Queens career where he was nicknamed Bombscare he ended up a fairly consistent centre back. McCall reckoned he was the best centre back in the league when he signed him for Partick.

1 minute ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

After an uninspiring start to his Queens career where he was nicknamed Bombscare he ended up a fairly consistent centre back. McCall reckoned he was the best centre back in the league when he signed him for Partick.

Yeah, I saw it.

He did come good after a shaky start.  However, we're discussing how his spell with us ended.

There's no denying the defence needs work. Someone who can organise is essential.

Think Gibson needs to play. His stubbornness is infuriating over this. He said if he was needed he would play. We've had an absolutely shite start. He must realise that whether or not there are his signings, Morrison and McKenna aren't good enough or the answer at right back.  

Hopefully a goalie and a CB before window closes or this season is going to be bleak. 

I think we need to start pissing with c*ck we've got. We've got 5 CBs on the books and 9 defenders currently in the first team. We can't just go the John Connolly route of flinging money around until we stumble upon a winning side. WG needs to pick his preferred back four and stick with them so they can start to (hopefully) gel. For me, our strongest back 4 includes him and he needs to reinstate himself ASAP. I don't dislike McKenna as much as some others but he's miles behind Gibson.

D.McKay hasn't been solid but he's been far better than P.McKay. Hopefully he takes this chance and keeps him out the team.

We're in for a drubbing against Rangers but I'd go with Gibson, McKay, Hendrie and East and stick with them for the time being.

Just call us thistle reserves.

I think we need to start pissing with c*ck we've got. We've got 5 CBs on the books and 9 defenders currently in the first team. We can't just go the John Connolly route of flinging money around until we stumble upon a winning side. WG needs to pick his preferred back four and stick with them so they can start to (hopefully) gel. For me, our strongest back 4 includes him and he needs to reinstate himself ASAP. I don't dislike McKenna as much as some others but he's miles behind Gibson.

D.McKay hasn't been solid but he's been far better than P.McKay. Hopefully he takes this chance and keeps him out the team.

We're in for a drubbing against Rangers but I'd go with Gibson, McKay, Hendrie and East and stick with them for the time being.
Said it before Thistle fans told us Mckenna aint as good at Rb as he is at centre half. Worrying start to season we need to win next week just to get confidence and give fans confidence that we can actually perform at home.

A little birdie tells me that things are not great at training and in dressing room. Has WG lost the dressing room already 
No idea how reliable the source is but this rumour seems to have surfaced every season recently so I'll take it with a big lump of salt.

Just watched the highlights. Wow. The absolute state of that defending and not just for the goals. Given our circumstances we should be disappointed losing two centre backs yesterday but they way in which both of them were completely bullied for the first and second goal makes me somewhat relieved they are out. Utterly pathetic. The 3rd goal is equally awful. If you focussed on the man meant to be tracking the attacker (McGrory?) you'd think the video had froze. He is literally standing still.

I think a lump on Rangers -3/4 on Tuesday is the only thing that will make the inevitable humping bearable.