The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

We sometimes forget how almost everything surrounding our lives these days seems to be constantly updating via social media, 24 hour news etc. When I was young, it was often only reading the newspaper next day that you found out the scores!!

Indeed ... and remember when we used to have to ... "lick road clean wi't tongue" ... try telling the kids today and they won't believe you ... 🙂

Airdrie had a trialist on the bench on Saturday I take it that is allowed in League 1.

Wonder if Wullie will add to the squad before the transfer window closes next week for me we are still 2 players short . We need another wide player plus a big  striker so we can change things up top.  

Is the Loan window still open till the end of Sept.

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Airdrie had a trialist on the bench on Saturday I take it that is allowed in League 1.

Wonder if Wullie will add to the squad before the transfer window closes next week for me we are still 2 players short . We need another wide player plus a big  striker so we can change things up top.  

Is the Loan window still open till the end of Sept.

Think we need another midfielder like Wilson as well, his injury record is a worry and we don’t have another player like him in the squad 

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Think we need another midfielder like Wilson as well, his injury record is a worry and we don’t have another player like him in the squad 

Wilson looks to have a bad ankle injury left Peterhead on  crutches if out a while  we need to at least get a loan signing in .

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

plus a big  striker so we can change things up top

Please, please, please stop the obsession with signing a target man striker. There is no need for one in our squad, and it just leads to ugly football that hinders our chances of winning, especially against weaker oppostition.

28 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

Please, please, please stop the obsession with signing a target man striker. There is no need for one in our squad, and it just leads to ugly football that hinders our chances of winning, especially against weaker oppostition.

Aye, playing a big target man just leads to constant punts forward from the keeper/defenders, it's too easy to do and doesn't really mix things up at all, it becomes the norm. If however your big front man also has a reasonable turn of speed and is competent with the ball on the deck to take men on then that type of player would allow you to mix it up rather than using him as an out and out target man. Finding one like that would be a big task though. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Aye, playing a big target man just leads to constant punts forward from the keeper/defenders, it's too easy to do and doesn't really mix things up at all, it becomes the norm. If however your big front man also has a reasonable turn of speed and is competent with the ball on the deck to take men on then that type of player would allow you to mix it up rather than using him as an out and out target man. Finding one like that would be a big task though. 

Ugwu ex Morton  is availble exactly what we need but probably out of our budget.

9 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Ugwu ex Morton  is availble exactly what we need but probably out of our budget.

I'm not saying that Ugwu is what we need but ... if he's not wanted at Morton, and he's not yet been snapped up by another Championship side, then I'd suggest that time is fast running out for him and his aspirations should be being revised more towards the budgets of the likes of L1 sides like QOS if he wants to keep playing this season.

That said I'm not a "big target man" fan.

24 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm not saying that Ugwu is what we need but ... if he's not wanted at Morton, and he's not yet been snapped up by another Championship side, then I'd suggest that time is fast running out for him and his aspirations should be being revised more towards the budgets of the likes of L1 sides like QOS if he wants to keep playing this season.

That said I'm not a "big target man" fan.

I might be wrong but I thought Morton offered him a deal to stay but he thought he was going back down south. Since then he’s been linked with Falkirk and Hamilton and nothing came of it, so he probably is within our budget now. I do think he’s got a bit more about him to be fair than a “big target man” like Cameron as well.

I think we can be a bit unrealistic about our budget! We already have quite a big squad and I doubt if we can afford many more. I've noticed already that a few of the sides we have faced this season have not named a full bench so I assume that we already have one of the biggest squads in the league. I know times have changed and I'm showing my age here, but I remember only knowing the names of about 14 players years ago but now that you are allowed about 20 players on the bench, we've become obsessed with big squads.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

I think we can be a bit unrealistic about our budget! We already have quite a big squad and I doubt if we can afford many more. I've noticed already that a few of the sides we have faced this season have not named a full bench so I assume that we already have one of the biggest squads in the league. I know times have changed and I'm showing my age here, but I remember only knowing the names of about 14 players years ago but now that you are allowed about 20 players on the bench, we've become obsessed with big squads.

I think we are going from what our manager has said 

There's a great photo in today's Courier featuring some great players from our past having a reunion at Rab Thorburn's house. Derek Renton, Alex Love, Nobby Clark, Chopper Dickson, Crawford Boyd, Iain Mitchell, Jimmy Millar, John Murray, Jocky Dempster, Iain Reid, Rab Thorburn and Jimmy Donald all there. What a line-up of talent assembled there. Their hair may be greyer (or gone) and the waistlines a bit broader but seeing them conjures up memories of them, and other  great players sadly no longer with us, who I  was privileged to see in Queens' colours. 

All this talk of a big target man. I like the fact we have mobile centre forwards with Paton, Reilly, Ruth and Connelly. When we had Cameron it was to easy to punt the ball forward and play off second balls. Put it into channels and these guys can work the defenders. I don't won't a target man I would prefer us to stick to the principals and play better football.

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

There's a great photo in today's Courier featuring some great players from our past having a reunion at Rab Thorburn's house. Derek Renton, Alex Love, Nobby Clark, Chopper Dickson, Crawford Boyd, Iain Mitchell, Jimmy Millar, John Murray, Jocky Dempster, Iain Reid, Rab Thorburn and Jimmy Donald all there. What a line-up of talent assembled there. Their hair may be greyer (or gone) and the waistlines a bit broader but seeing them conjures up memories of them, and other  great players sadly no longer with us, who I  was privileged to see in Queens' colours. 

We must be of similar vintage FTB, some cracking players in there. Jim Donald was great at inside right to Dempster ... and he was also best man to Kenny Dalglish at his wedding I read somewhere. Rab Thorburn was doing Mechanical Engineering at Strathclyde Uni when I was there. Great memories.

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Some cracking players in that list. Great memories. 

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

All this talk of a big target man. I like the fact we have mobile centre forwards with Paton, Reilly, Ruth and Connelly. When we had Cameron it was to easy to punt the ball forward and play off second balls. Put it into channels and these guys can work the defenders. I don't won't a target man I would prefer us to stick to the principals and play better football.

It is getting the right target man look at Ayr he holds it up has a physical presence and can score goals.

Think I am in the minority that thinks we need that as another option .

13 hours ago, Greenacres said:

It is getting the right target man look at Ayr he holds it up has a physical presence and can score goals.

Think I am in the minority that thinks we need that as another option .

I'm assuming you're meaning Akinyemi?  He did bugger all against us in the league cup game.