The Queen of the South thread

Wullie must be aware that there are always numpties at the games and unless we can filter them out at the turnstiles they will always be there. As Strachan once said of the boo boys they are only a handful and are not representative of the supporters in general so the management team has to ignore the verbal criticism from a minority of the punters otherwise they will self destruct.
I think there's booing then there's taking it to another level. I wasn't in the main stand yesterday but going by a tweet I read and lowland star's post I think the criticism directed towards Cochrane was OTT and Gibson was rightly defending his player. Some football fans seem to have this air of entitlement whereby they think they can scream abuse at players without any repercussions. If you dish it out you should be able to take it back.

Beside that I don't think giving a boy abuse after being hooked in the first half is doing anyone any good either. The act is humiliating enough and he'll have been feeling shit enough as it is. If the guy in question wasn't happy with Cochrane's performance then he should have been pleased he was hooked. Giving him pelters is utterly needless. The same goes for Currie tbh. He'll know how badly he fucked up yesterday and sarcastically cheering him and giving him pelters can't do him any favours either. I wasn't aware of anything said but it looked like he may well have received some verbals at half time from the main stand as well. Perhaps LS can fill us in?

FWIW I'm not a happy clapper by any means; happy clappers probably annoy me more than most fans. And I'll criticise players on here throughout the season but I never direct personal insults to players during the game as I can't think what benefit that does for anyone.

Interestingly enough I had a work colleague attend the game yesterday who was sat in the main stand. (An Airdrie fan as well so no idea why he chose to sit there!) I received a text from him at half saying "This main stand is full of fannies".

I think there's booing then there's taking it to another level. I wasn't in the main stand yesterday but going by a tweet I read and lowland star's post I think the criticism directed towards Cochrane was OTT and Gibson was rightly defending his player. Some football fans seem to have this air of entitlement whereby they think they can scream abuse at players without any repercussions. If you dish it out you should be able to take it back.

Beside that I don't think giving a boy abuse after being hooked in the first half is doing anyone any good either. The act is humiliating enough and he'll have been feeling shit enough as it is. If the guy in question wasn't happy with Cochrane's performance then he should have been pleased he was hooked. Giving him pelters is utterly needless. The same goes for Currie tbh. He'll know how badly he fucked up yesterday and sarcastically cheering him and giving him pelters can't do him any favours either. I wasn't aware of anything said but it looked like he may well have received some verbals at half time from the main stand as well. Perhaps LS can fill us in?

FWIW I'm not a happy clapper by any means; happy clappers probably annoy me more than most fans. And I'll criticise players on here throughout the season but I never direct personal insults to players during the game as I can't think what benefit that does for anyone.

Interestingly enough I had a work colleague attend the game yesterday who was sat in the main stand. (An Airdrie fan as well so no idea why he chose to sit there!) I received a text from him at half saying "This main stand is full of fannies".
Although Currie made a complete howler for the goal, he made two great saves with his feet in the first half, and compared to his time at Airdrie his kicking has improved massively. We had our fair share of fannies too giving Euan Deveney abuse for doing nothing wrong, and shouting abuse at our players to press in the 80th minute in 30 degree heat when they were burst. Think every support has these kinda people in them tbh.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I had the impression that Cochrane was really struggling physically and actually signalled to the bench that he needed to come off. (As he'd also been booked, now that you're allowed 5 subs, I think it's wise to take a booked player off that early in a match rather than risking a sending off).

3 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

They were getting sold in the club shop when I was in about 2:15. 

I think the Club seem to be encouraging everyone to go to the Arena side of Palmerston before games or to download programmes (I don't bother with programmes tbh) You can never be certain if there will be  programme sellers or 50/50 Half Time Draw sellers at the approaches to the BDS East Stand or Oakbank Terrace turnstiles for people approaching from town, Ice Bowl or Portland Drive, some games there is, some games there isn't, never consistent. If the ticket booths in the East Stand aren't being used surely that would be a good place to sell these things, and shelter for the sellers in bad weather too. Put some notices up to direct people there, doesn't need to be anything fancy. The present situation regarding this issue is just another small but annoying occurrence that is part of the bigger picture of the general malaise that seems to be seeping through the club where fans are concerned. 

Program sellers deserting the club now? Geez what next,? Concrete between the bricks making a run for it. 

Heard we've been trying to hire some seagulls to help out but the club won't pay for a portion of chips. 

It really is just a shower of shit this club and all because of who's at the top.. 

I'm not sure but I think now that the digital age is pretty well fully embedded (most will now be getting match tickets via their phones/tablets/PCs) we might soon be approaching the point where many clubs (certainly at a lower level) will be considering whether to continue with the expense and hassle of matchday programmes, when most of the information is easily gleaned on-line from the club's OS and social networking feeds.

I get that programmes are very much seen as collector's items (god knows I've got boxes of the things in my loft) and so many folk might be dismayed at this suggestion, but financial constraints may dictate this outside of the top tier.  I think the larger top tier clubs who produce hefty glossy magazine type programmes will continue to produce these though, and with larger attendances no doubt these are profitable so fair enough.

I used to always buy a programme (partly to add extra funds to the club) and would read through the teams and squads prior to kick-off - but none were available at the BDS stand on Saturday so I just read the OS/twitter stuff on my phone instead and didn't feel any less well informed.

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

I had the impression that Cochrane was really struggling physically and actually signalled to the bench that he needed to come off. (As he'd also been booked, now that you're allowed 5 subs, I think it's wise to take a booked player off that early in a match rather than risking a sending off).

At the time I thought that Cochrane had been hooked due to a combination of being on a yellow and nothing going right for the lad - his passes going astray and being swamped by the Airdrie midfield (partly due to our shape first half).  You could be right with the physical problems in addition though, and so was the right call from Gibson.  His replacement Todd made a big difference.

I think there's a player in Cochrane, when fully fit and played in the right set-up - so its a shame to see him struggling.  The abuse from the boo boys won't help the lad's confidence either - a bit of encouragement now and again doesn't do any harm.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm not sure but I think now that the digital age is pretty well fully embedded (most will now be getting match tickets via their phones/tablets/PCs) we might soon be approaching the point where many clubs (certainly at a lower level) will be considering whether to continue with the expense and hassle of matchday programmes, when most of the information is easily gleaned on-line from the club's OS and social networking feeds.

I get that programmes are very much seen as collector's items (god knows I've got boxes of the things in my loft) and so many folk might be dismayed at this suggestion, but financial constraints may dictate this outside of the top tier.  I think the larger top tier clubs who produce hefty glossy magazine type programmes will continue to produce these though, and with larger attendances no doubt these are profitable so fair enough.

I used to always buy a programme (partly to add extra funds to the club) and would read through the teams and squads prior to kick-off - but none were available at the BDS stand on Saturday so I just read the OS/twitter stuff on my phone instead and didn't feel any less well informed.

Agree about the programmes. I imagine with printing costs, it’s likely a loss making venture to be honest. I think I read that Morton have done away with them entirely this year, I imagine others will follow. A digital version might be a good alternative, but clearly doesn’t cater to all. 

@Fae_the_'briggs makes a good  suggestion on the prize draw tickets though. We should be trying to maximise purchases of these. 

1 hour ago, JK_Queens said:

Agree about the programmes. I imagine with printing costs, it’s likely a loss making venture to be honest. I think I read that Morton have done away with them entirely this year, I imagine others will follow. A digital version might be a good alternative, but clearly doesn’t cater to all. 

@Fae_the_'briggs makes a good  suggestion on the prize draw tickets though. We should be trying to maximise purchases of these. 

If anyone is looking for a programme at Peterhead the bad news is we dont sell them, the good news is we do an online versions which is free on our site.

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

The club have never replaced a few well known programme & 50/50 draw ticket sellers. Maybe they should ask for help or use some of the youth players ? 
Every turnstiles should have someone standing outside offering them. Pretty basic stuff really. 

Quite agree. Visit almost any other ground and there are usually Half-Time Draw sellers dotted about near turnstiles. Ok, printed  Match Programmes may not be as readily available now but surely the Club's not that well off, or proud, that it doesn't need to chase every little bit of income it can get. Half-time Draw tickets may not raise a fortune but it adds a little bit of interest for fans. It'll be the old story of not enough volunteers I suppose, the default excuse when things aren't being done. 

I have a large collection of Queens programmes but to be honest I haven't been fussed about buying one at the match for about 10 years now.  Once the cover price topped £2.50 for a 36-odd page issue of which around 20% was advertising I lost the enthusiasm.   At least (as far as I am aware) Queens have at least had the decency to continue calling their issues "programme", rather than using the "matchday magazine" title, a term which I detest!

It is rather ironic (and typical Queens) that we either haven't issued programmes or people are finding them harder to get hold of a matter of weeks after we hosted a programme fair.

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Quite agree. Visit almost any other ground and there are usually Half-Time Draw sellers dotted about near turnstiles. Ok, printed  Match Programmes may not be as readily available now but surely the Club's not that well off, or proud, that it doesn't need to chase every little bit of income it can get. Half-time Draw tickets may not raise a fortune but it adds a little bit of interest for fans. It'll be the old story of not enough volunteers I suppose, the default excuse when things aren't being done. 

Match programmes are a thing of the past can't remember the last time I got one.

50-50 half time Draw tickets need to keep going we should try and push them more .The car park can we not charge fans to park like most other clubs do ?

Anything that gets money into the club is a worthwhile exercise . 

13 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The car park can we not charge fans to park like most other clubs do ?

It’s bad enough charging folk £18 to watch the fare served up without charging them to park as well.

Just because other clubs do it doesn’t mean we should follow suit.

Crowds are dwindling already without adding more extra costs.

24 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The car park can we not charge fans to park like most other clubs do ?

If we went down that road I would predict that an empty car-park and irate Hardthorn residents frustrated by the increased amount of street parking on match days would be the likely outcome.

It’s bad enough charging folk £18 to watch the fare served up without charging them to park as well.
Just because other clubs do it doesn’t mean we should follow suit.
Crowds are dwindling already without adding more extra costs.
If we went down that road I would predict that an empty car-park and irate Hardthorn residents frustrated by the increased amount of street parking on match days would be the likely outcome.
You'd also get 200 folk entering the car park and telling the attendant they're not going to the fitba, they're going for a haircut.

On 14/08/2022 at 21:11, 19QOS19 said:

I agree with sentiment about targeting players for abuse.  I hate that ironic cheering thing that Currie was subjected to.  It must feel horrible and make it yet harder to perform.

I'm not sure that dismissing an entire stand (or implicitly endorsing the view of someone who did) as being full of fannies, is all that constructive either, mind.