The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

Does Gibson seriously think Queens can get promoted with that defence? Not to mention the pathetic gutless lightweights in midfield? 
I think we need to consider going part-time instead of mopping up the complete and utter dregs of FT players. Totally outplayed in every department. Clyde should have been out of sight at HT. I think this might be our only season in League 1 right enough. League 2 beckons.
Not that it matters but I dread to think what Rangers will do against that gang.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Does Gibson seriously think Queens can get promoted with that defence? Not to mention the pathetic gutless lightweights in midfield? 
I think we need to consider going part-time instead of mopping up the complete and utter dregs of FT players. Totally outplayed in every department. Clyde should have been out of sight at HT. I think this might be our only season in League 1 right enough. League 2 beckons.
Not that it matters but I dread to think what Rangers will do against that gang.

I recognise it's still raw but think it's a bit soon to go part time and throw in the towel for the league. 

On a more serious note. That was disgraceful in the new stand today. Shit stewarding, shit planning and fuckwit supporters are not a good combination. How many of these incidents do we have to have before something is done about it? If it's purely down to away fans having to use the same pie stand why on earth is the away one opened?

That could have been a lot worse today and even after the idiot was removed there was little stewarding and away fans were still edging into the home section mouthing off.

I expect we'll now see the return of the idiotic rule whereby home fans can't go between the new stand and terrace which does absolutely nothing to stop what happened today.

8 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

What it should make you appreciate is how difficult it is to get volunteers to do things on match days.

Today we couldn't even get someone to do twitter updates.

Far smaller clubs from far smaller towns regularly put out tweets during the game, match reports, and highlights packages. All of those things are provided as standard at our level.

Is there something rotten about our club that makes people not want to get involved, or do you blame the Dumfries public for lacking skills literally everywhere else has?

As to the performance today - successive squads have had clear issues with playing at home. It can't be solely the pitch as that is shit for everyone. I wonder if it's the psychological aspect of never being in Dumfries except making a long drive down here once a fortnight for a game all the locals will hound you for losing. Just a guess but someone in charge should be looking into the reasons. I am sure they are not, though.

5 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Far smaller clubs from far smaller towns regularly put out tweets during the game, match reports, and highlights packages. All of those things are provided as standard at our level.

Is there something rotten about our club that makes people not want to get involved, or do you blame the Dumfries public for lacking skills literally everywhere else has?

As to the performance today - successive squads have had clear issues with playing at home. It can't be solely the pitch as that is shit for everyone. I wonder if it's the psychological aspect of never being in Dumfries except making a long drive down here once a fortnight for a game all the locals will hound you for losing. Just a guess but someone in charge should be looking into the reasons. I am sure they are not, though.

This is absolutely bang on. 

Non-league sides can manage a better digital output than Queens can. 

There's not been a tweet from club since yesterday. It's not only match day but the first league game of the season. Totally tinpot. The sad thing is it's part of an overall picture, not an anomaly.

14 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I'm pretty sure if you look at the board, the answer is there, I know of people who won't be at Palmerston until Hewitson is out the door and businesses who won't entertain doing business with Queen's due to Hewitson's presence, but even with this I would have thought someone would be willing. 

20 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

11 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

This is absolutely bang on. 

Non-league sides can manage a better digital output than Queens can. 

There's not been a tweet from club since yesterday. It's not only match day but the first league game of the season. Totally tinpot. The sad thing is it's part of an overall picture, not an anomaly.

Whats the answer then? No ones arguing that things could be better so make some suggestions on how to fix it

41 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I update the Queens Loyal Facebook page with updates for every Queens game....

17 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Whats the answer then? No ones arguing that things could be better so make some suggestions on how to fix it

A lot of it comes down to communication.

I've never seen a call out for volunteers either. I, like, others, would probably like to help.

But I never seen any notification that there'd not be updates. It wasn't an 11th hour surprise, was it?

I do understand the earlier remark re UWS students but surely to Christ at a club with a supposed 1200 season ticket holders there's someone who would happily tweet out a pic of team lines and some updates throughout the 90 minutes. Doesn't need to be as something for a CV. Could just be for a thank you from the club or the joy of being more involved. 

I do totally get that twitter isn't the biggest issue by the way. But it's a small win that can be easily turned around. 

16 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

A lot of it comes down to communication.

I've never seen a call out for volunteers either. I, like, others, would probably like to help.

But I never seen any notification that there'd not be updates. It wasn't an 11th hour surprise, was it?

I do understand the earlier remark re UWS students but surely to Christ at a club with a supposed 1200 season ticket holders there's someone who would happily tweet out a pic of team lines and some updates throughout the 90 minutes. Doesn't need to be as something for a CV. Could just be for a thank you from the club or the joy of being more involved. 

I do totally get that twitter isn't the biggest issue by the way. But it's a small win that can be easily turned around. 

No offence but don't you think if it was easy to turn around it wouldn't actually be an issue? 

ETA - oh, and the last time we asked for volunteers we got one response and that was from a journalist who wanted paid. 

Edited by Homer Thompson

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:
I update the Queens Loyal Facebook page with updates for every Queens game....

Any chance you can change the "Loyal" part?...

Aye, it's sounds a bit "Govan-ish".

43 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I am loosely involved with a National League South team down here - do a bit of sponsorship and some scouting every now and then. There's probably 40 volunteers on a match day. Success helps, but a big part of it is the open, inclusive feeling about the club.

When I say inclusive I mean that everyone who's volunteering seems to feel they're truly a part of the club and making a meaningful contribution. It's led from the top, with a chairman who walks around the stadium on matchdays speaking to people, is active on social media, gives regular updates on the website, openly praises the impact different teams of volunteers are having. Managers and coaching staff who are on first name basis with the volunteers. That sort of thing. We seem to have a chairman who isn't the most sociable chap so maybe a volunteer coordinator or another director could take the lead?

It might seem convenient to level this at the top, but I've organised volunteers myself in past roles and since they're not getting remuneration, it really is how they feel in the role which dictates how much they do, whether they come back, and whether others get encouraged to also get involved.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

Not accepting that as an excuse tbh. Our fans will boo but it's very rare to hear anything toxic come from our support. Players get it far worse at other grounds around the country. I'm not advocating it but they could get it far worse than they ever do at Palmerston.

The pitch is absolutely stinking and doesn't lend itself to decent football but we play on it more than anyone else so should be able to adapt.

26 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

No offence but don't you think if it was easy to turn around it wouldn't actually be an issue? 

ETA - oh, and the last time we asked for volunteers we got one response and that was from a journalist who wanted paid. 

No offence taken.

I went to a Galafairydean game and their social and all digital output was done by a teenager who was a fan. Wasn't daughter of the chairperson or manager. Just a fan who wanted to help out the club. Their output is fairly decent. Good old graphics for goalscorers etc. Hardly reinventing the wheel but a decent output that is superior to ours. 

Not having a go, how can they do it but we can't? comparable enough areas and a similar lack of journalism uni courses.

Does such a Dumfries-based, or Queens supporting, person not exist or is there another barrier to it? 

It is sad that just one person applied. Perhaps a reflection on the fanbase and/or reach of the club comms?

We lucked out with Finlay for sure. 

Happy to add my name to the list of those willing to help out. 

I’m lanarkshire based, but aim to get to 2-3 games a month. Happy to send updates out via Facebook or Twitter when I’m at the games. 

Thankfully missed the horror show today. 

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I am loosely involved with a National League South team down here - do a bit of sponsorship and some scouting every now and then. There's probably 40 volunteers on a match day. Success helps, but a big part of it is the open, inclusive feeling about the club.

When I say inclusive I mean that everyone who's volunteering seems to feel they're truly a part of the club and making a meaningful contribution. It's led from the top, with a chairman who walks around the stadium on matchdays speaking to people, is active on social media, gives regular updates on the website, openly praises the impact different teams of volunteers are having. Managers and coaching staff who are on first name basis with the volunteers. That sort of thing. We seem to have a chairman who isn't the most sociable chap so maybe a volunteer coordinator or another director could take the lead?

It might seem convenient to level this at the top, but I've organised volunteers myself in past roles and since they're not getting remuneration, it really is how they feel in the role which dictates how much they do, whether they come back, and whether others get encouraged to also get involved.

That sounds really good. Lets be honest, though, its not something the Board are going to do. Theres only one person at the club, realistically, whos going to do something like that and he already has too much to do. Which really leads us back to the same problem of not enough people.

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

No offence taken.

I went to a Galafairydean game and their social and all digital output was done by a teenager who was a fan. Wasn't daughter of the chairperson or manager. Just a fan who wanted to help out the club. Their output is fairly decent. Good old graphics for goalscorers etc. Hardly reinventing the wheel but a decent output that is superior to ours. 

Not having a go, how can they do it but we can't? comparable enough areas and a similar lack of journalism uni courses.

Does such a Dumfries-based, or Queens supporting, person not exist or is there another barrier to it? 

It is sad that just one person applied. Perhaps a reflection on the fanbase and/or reach of the club comms?

We lucked out with Finlay for sure. 

I genuinely dont know how they can do it and we cant. Maybe they got lucky, like we have over the past 10 years or so, or like someone like East Fife did with their streaming which is done by a couple of fans who just do it for the love of it.