The Queen of the South thread

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Think I've been to two 5 goal cup drubbings at Parkhead, way back in the mists of the previous century.  The ex England cricketer Chris Balderstone played for us at one of those games.

I dread to ask but ... what happened to make you not want to visit sunny Govan again?

Nothing major tbh. I just have no desire to visit the place again. 

Really looking forward to our first league game on Saturday. After the disappointment of the Annan result we have really bounce back and a visit to Ibrox to look forward to and extra money coming into the club. 

If Todd has a broken toe we will be missing for at least 4 weeks. Will be interesting to see who WG plays in key positions.  I would expect the 2 McKays to be the centre back partnership. Other interesting position is centre midfield with WG playing on Saturday ahead of Cochrane. Don't know if Wilson will be fit enough to return for this game but will WG see himself in there beside McGrory or Cochrane. I suppose also who will replace Todd possibly Mckechnie at this time due to injuries etc 

Clyde have had a inconsistent start to the season beating Morton and running Falkirk close losing to Bonnyrigg and getting thumped by Hibs.

They are a group of seasoned professionals in there squad and have a lot of experience. 

We need a good start to continue the feel good factor we are enjoying under WG. 

Would still like a we update from the club even on official site or twitter

Premier sports very predictably have selected both Rangers and Celtic games for tv coverage. Our game is on the Tuesday 30th.

£27k to Queens I believe for tv coverage, but no doubt it’ll impact the attendance.  

30 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Premier sports very predictably have selected both Rangers and Celtic games for tv coverage. Our game is on the Tuesday 30th.

£27k to Queens I believe for tv coverage, but no doubt it’ll impact the attendance.  

They’ll still have an attendance in the 30,000’s surely at the least?

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

They’ll still have an attendance in the 30,000’s surely at the least?

I think the crowd was 26,000 for the quarter-final we played against them in 2016, so that might be about the most we could expect.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think the crowd was 26,000 for the quarter-final we played against them in 2016, so that might be about the most we could expect.

That's what I thought but in the same competition last season, they got 41,000 against Dunfermline at this stage, then 35,000 against Livingston in the next round, so 30,000+ might be realistic.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

They've tended to have bigger midweek cup crowds since the Gerrard era came along. Same stage last season had 41,000 v Dunfermline, though it was played on a Friday night, not "midweek". Livi on a Wednesday in the Q-F had 35,000. Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup last season, again on a Friday, had 38,000. Pre Covid, Stranraer Home on a Friday night in the Scottish Cup had 38,000 also. I'm certainly hoping we'll be looking at 30,000+

EDIT - I think all of those were live on Premier too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

That was when they were still quite shite though, their attendances are a lot better now

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's what I thought but in the same competition last season, they got 41,000 against Dunfermline at this stage, then 35,000 against Livingston in the next round, so 30,000+ might be realistic.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They've tended to have bigger midweek cup crowds since the Gerrard era came along. Same stage last season had 41,000 v Dunfermline, though it was played on a Friday night, not "midweek". Livi on a Wednesday in the Q-F had 35,000. Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup last season, again on a Friday, had 38,000. Pre Covid, Stranraer Home on a Friday night in the Scottish Cup had 38,000 also. I'm certainly hoping we'll be looking at 30,000+

Fair enough. I didn’t even look at last season’s League Cup numbers because I wrongly assumed crowds were limited early on. I thought with them doing well in Europe last season, they wouldn’t really be too bothered about a midweek game in the League Cup against a third tier side. Hope it is over 30,000.

Belter of a photo from QOS photographer Colin Johnstone from Saturday's League Cup tie up north - assume this was an Elgin fan on the wrong end of a stray ball.

Fan spilling drink

I used to worry about this sort of thing when getting refreshments at Hamilton ... especially if our forwards were shooting into that end.

Belter of a photo from QOS photographer Colin Johnstone from Saturday's League Cup tie up north - assume this was an Elgin fan on the wrong end of a stray ball.
_126037297_directhitqueenofthesouth.jpg
I used to worry about this sort of thing when getting refreshments at Hamilton ... especially if our forwards were shooting into that end.
Would still take the woman over Callum Antell.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:
_126037297_directhitqueenofthesouth.jpg

Would still take the woman over Callum Antell.

Harsh ... but fair.

Photo taken by Fraser Johnstone when he saw that his 'dabbing' Mam was just about to be cleaned out by the ball. Fortunately she managed to get out of the way just in time for the poor guy behind her to take the full force of the ball into his Tomato soup. Have spent the last day explaining what a Dab is to Donna Johnstone. My involvement was purely shouting 'are you okay Donna'. All credit to Fraser Johnstone for getting this shot from the other side of the pitch.

Photo brings back memories of a cold midweek game at Palmerston. A clearance was coming straight at me in the stand. I remember having time to think about trying to catch it but then deciding against it as my hands were too cold, however the woman sitting a couple of seats along from me didn't even see it coming as it smacked her full in the face.  I swear I didn't actually duck, just didn't make an effort to stop it, but I still feel guilty to this day!

PS. I won't be going to Ibrox either, just don't like the atmosphere in the place!

12 hours ago, qosphotos said:

Photo taken by Fraser Johnstone when he saw that his 'dabbing' Mam was just about to be cleaned out by the ball. Fortunately she managed to get out of the way just in time for the poor guy behind her to take the full force of the ball into his Tomato soup. Have spent the last day explaining what a Dab is to Donna Johnstone. My involvement was purely shouting 'are you okay Donna'. All credit to Fraser Johnstone for getting this shot from the other side of the pitch.

Cheers for the explanation - awesome photo.

We shouldn't let the photo detract from the inherent tragedy captured in that moment though ... I mean, tomato soup on a white T-shirt ... that's gonna be a stiff challenge even for Persil (non-bio), and even on a "Cottons" setting at 60C!  On the plus side I'm assuming that the other nutritional item (hot dog perhaps ...?) survived relatively intact.

On 24/07/2022 at 20:59, Homer Thompson said:

I literally have no words

I have no idea what you mean by that comment, do you mean that the Official site's promise to have "highlights and interviews" is being fulfilled? Why wouldn't you want to see the highlights of a Queens game?

20 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I have no idea what you mean by that comment, do you mean that the Official site's promise to have "highlights and interviews" is being fulfilled? Why wouldn't you want to see the highlights of a Queens game?

As others have pointed out, and as is pointed out every time this subject comes up, highlights are done by a volunteer who has a full time job and other commitments.

I have no words to explain why you think that its disgraceful they havent given up even more of their time.

If you're that keen for the club to produce highlights, please help out. Thats an open offer to anyone else who can help

Season ticket and 2 Junior tickets got for another season .

Decided to get plastic tickets wish someone had told me they are a extra £2 each will take the online option next season .

Wonder if we will start getting regular updates from the club and Wullie pre match started it with AJ but since Finlay left it has all stopped 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Season ticket and 2 Junior tickets got for another season .

Decided to get plastic tickets wish someone had told me they are a extra £2 each will take the online option next season .

Wonder if we will start getting regular updates from the club and Wullie pre match started it with AJ but since Finlay left it has all stopped 

Have you actually got the plastic ticket?