The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

To be fair, after the defeat by Annan in the first game I thought that was it. So it is good that we came back strongly and also got a bit of luck with other results. 

This is a free hit with also bit more prize money in the bank for qualifying for the next round. 

Yes I certainly thought we were finished after the Annan game, so it is a bonus to get through.

Given that we have though, I'd rather we had something winnable, even if the cash might be handy.

I’d love to have got a draw with a realistic chance of getting through, but giving our relegation and us wanting to get straight back hopefully the funds created will help us towards it. 
Pretty much this. The league is our priority this season. A cup is never a bad thing but for all I was wanting a tie where we could go further I'm happy enough that we're likely cutting and running with a bit of a payday.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes I certainly thought we were finished after the Annan game, so it is a bonus to get through.

Given that we have though, I'd rather we had something winnable, even if the cash might be handy.

Absolutely, I am with you on this. However, at ten to three yesterday we would all have accepted Annan away draw at Ibrox come this time today. 

2 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Absolutely, I am with you on this. However, at ten to three yesterday we would all have accepted Annan away draw at Ibrox come this time today. 

Agreed. Of course we would. 

However, I still like a moan.

4 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

To be fair, after the defeat by Annan in the first game I thought that was it. So it is good that we came back strongly and also got a bit of luck with other results. 

This is a free hit with also bit more prize money in the bank for qualifying for the next round. 

I was the same even after the 2-2 St.Johnstone result I just could not see us qualifying what a bonus to get the £50,000 plus £27,000 for the probably live game plus a share of the Rangers gate money we  will make close on £200,000 yet some fans wanted to risk Arbroath away a bit of a gamble  lose we only make £50,000 .

Hopefully some of the money will be added to Wullie budget all that matters is the difficult job of  getting Queens  back up to the Championship  

Arguably the best draw we could have got -  the chances are we would go out to all of the other seeded teams with possible exception of Dundee/Arbroath with little or no material financial upside.

Great opportunity for our young squad to test themselves with the ultimate “free hit”. The League Cup is a great tournament for smaller clubs because of the seeding. We had a 25% chance of getting Celtic or Rangers (not bad odds) after losing to Annan!!!!!

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Arguably the best draw we could have got -  the chances are we would go out to all of the other seeded teams with possible exception of Dundee/Arbroath with little or no material financial upside.

Great opportunity for our young squad to test themselves with the ultimate “free hit”. The League Cup is a great tournament for smaller clubs because of the seeding. We had a 25% chance of getting Celtic or Rangers (not bad odds) after losing to Annan!!!!!

Aye, the trouble with winnable games is that we usually lose them.

As always, if you have to draw the OF in the big cups then the key is to get the game away from home to get the better payday.  The result is a foregone conclusion as it would be for virtually all of the clubs in Scotland regardless of the division occupied, given the farcical imbalance in our game.  So absolutely, its a free hit as said above.

I said in the Cup thread a few moments ago that I would actually have liked to draw Sellick at Parkhead as we don't seem to have played them for a good while now.  On reflection, Ibrox might be the slightly bigger pay day though.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

As always, if you have to draw the OF in the big cups then the key is to get the game away from home to get the better payday.  The result is a foregone conclusion as it would be for virtually all of the clubs in Scotland regardless of the division occupied, given the farcical imbalance in our game.  So absolutely, its a free hit as said above.

I said in the Cup thread a few moments ago that I would actually have liked to draw Sellick at Parkhead as we don't seem to have played them for a good while now.  On reflection, Ibrox might be the slightly bigger pay day though.

Aye we've never played the green side in my lifetime and it would have been good to go to the game. Sadly I'll never set foot in the away end at Govan again. It may well be televised at least. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye we've never played the green side in my lifetime and it would have been good to go to the game. Sadly I'll never set foot in the away end at Govan again. It may well be televised at least. 

Its Premier Sports, of course it will be televised. They don't hide the fact they are basically arse cheek TV

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Think I've been to two 5 goal cup drubbings at Parkhead, way back in the mists of the previous century.  The ex England cricketer Chris Balderstone played for us at one of those games.

I dread to ask but ... what happened to make you not want to visit sunny Govan again?

1 minute ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Its Premier Sports, of course it will be televised. They don't hide the fact they are basically arse cheek TV

Even when they play the hicks from the sticks ...?

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Seem to remember a LC quarter final with Celtic in the early 90s. Joe Miller scored for them. Think we had won a midweek thriller vs Airdrie in the previous round. Of course this could all be rubbish. My memory is pretty suss

34 minutes ago, Honky Tonk Man said:

Seem to remember a LC quarter final with Celtic in the early 90s. Joe Miller scored for them. Think we had won a midweek thriller vs Airdrie in the previous round. Of course this could all be rubbish. My memory is pretty suss

We last played them in September 1990 in the league cup. We had also played them in the same competition the season before, in August ‘89. We lost 2-1 in ‘90, 2-0 the year before.

1990 was a quarter final, we had beaten Montrose, Dundee and Dunfermline to get to that point. Joe Miller scored an 81st minute winner after Andy Thomson had got us back on level terms.

1989 was a third round match. We didn’t come in until the second round that year, where we beat St Johnstone. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer