The Queen of the South thread

Does  Irving have the quality we need time will tell not sure he has but WG must see something in him .
The goalkeeper Aberdeen will not loan him out to just sit on the bench good to put pressure on Currie he will have to up his game to stay first choice .
Is that the squad complete now  or are we still to replace Fitzpatrick .
Of course he'll be putting pressure on Currie to be first choice. That's the point, with an acknowledgement that Cowie isn't, yet, of the required standard.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally this.

The clamour to offer extensions to people the moment they do something right - seemingly overriding anything that's gone before - tends to be premature.

Aye, OK, OK.

Thing is, we know Connelly from last season where he was a threat at Championship level.  He should now be something of a "weapon" at L1 level.  So its not really taking a risk based on a premature assessment over only a couple of early LC games.  If he continues his form then he's going to attract suitors, so trying to get him on a longer term deal makes sense - if only to benefit financially from his eventual move to better pastures.  Of course, whether the lad is willing to sign a longer deal (which could put off future employers) is another matter.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.  Plus the guy obviously likes the idea of playing for Gibson.  Just my view though.

Edited by Otis Blue

Does  Irving have the quality we need time will tell not sure he has but WG must see something in him .
The goalkeeper Aberdeen will not loan him out to just sit on the bench good to put pressure on Currie he will have to up his game to stay first choice .
Is that the squad complete now  or are we still to replace Fitzpatrick .
Not sure thought wullie wanted another midfielder. And potentially some one else up top. Still loan option is there so no rush.

Regarding the give players a new contract a think we had the same conversation last year. So lets see how the season pans out.

Totally agree. Am sure there would have been a clamour to give Ally Roy a new deal after group stages. I get we can't leave it too late to extend one year deals but doesn't need to be tied up before August either.

30 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Totally agree. Am sure there would have been a clamour to give Ally Roy a new deal after group stages. I get we can't leave it too late to extend one year deals but doesn't need to be tied up before August either.

If this related to my earlier post then I was really talking about Connelly and him being a clear saleable asset in the transfer market (mostly from his performances last season at a higher level, but also being demonstrated again this early this season).  However, I don't recall putting any time frame on this (eg August or such like) but was really making the point that Connelly was one player who should be on the strategic list of candidates for extended deals before the vultures come calling.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

If this related to my earlier post then I was really talking about Connelly and him being a clear saleable asset in the transfer market (mostly from his performances last season at a higher level, but also being demonstrated again this early this season).  However, I don't recall putting any time frame on this (eg August or such like) but was really making the point that Connelly was one player who should be on the strategic list of candidates for extended deals before the vultures come calling.

And yet, nobody came calling in the summer despite his availability and some good stuff last season.

I like him as a player too, but it's very early days.  Players need to offer more on a sustained basis.  We see the same sentiment over Fitzpatrick.  He was largely anonymous and disappointing for us, but because he had a couple of decent outings before getting injured, there was clamour on here for him.  We even saw it at one point regarding Cameron because he'd scored at some point.  

There is often a real recency bias with such things.  

Guest Flash
57 minutes ago, stravaigar said:

I see Douglas Ross is running the line at Saturdays match. Hopefully he can put a few decisions the way of his fellow tories.

Is he not the MSP for the Elgin Tories?

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And yet, nobody came calling in the summer despite his availability and some good stuff last season.

I like him as a player too, but it's very early days.  Players need to offer more on a sustained basis.  We see the same sentiment over Fitzpatrick.  He was largely anonymous and disappointing for us, but because he had a couple of decent outings before getting injured, there was clamour on here for him.  We even saw it at one point regarding Cameron because he'd scored at some point.  

There is often a real recency bias with such things.  

It's all about opinions MT, and folks opinions differ, which is very much what these forums are all about - a chance to present different opinions.  For me:

Connelly - he looked decent at Championship level but he was playing in a poor team at that level.  Personally, I think I saw enough to tell me that there's a player in there and that he'd hopefully shine at the level below.

Fitzpatrick - I first remember watching him at Firhill playing for Thistle before he went down to Norwich and at the time I also thought that there was a player there in the making.  I watched a very frustrated figure in Fitzpatrick for most of last season where he was either being played out of position or playing for a manager that didn't inspire him/understand his best position.  Come the turn of the year and AJ's departure and lo and behold we saw a different Fitzpatrick, which was unfortunately cut short due to his injury.  But it reminded me of the player I'd seen before up at Firhill a couple of seasons earlier.  We've been unlucky re Fitzpatrick I think.  Also, remember that McCall (like him or loathe him) has an eye for a player and was keen to bring him back to Firhill ... remember McCall spotting a lost figure of a certain Mr Dobbie on loan to Dumbarton ...

Cameron - I don't recall ever clamouring over him.

9 hours ago, Flash said:

Might as well play the youngsters on Saturday. 

Need to get minutes in a few players. Think it’s as good a time to get more game time in Ryan Muir who’s impressed in appearances, you could probably give the new keeper a go, Morrison I think started full training again Monday so get some in him, if you can get 60 mins in Wilson’s tank. I’m guessing east isn’t far away from Gibson’s interview last week so even if you got 10/15 in him, probably the manager himself as well. Thing is we still want to win for momentum and it becomes habit but if we can freshen it up, a lot of these players have played a lot of minutes. I’m guessing finishing second will be worth more coin to, even if we don’t go through?

How To Clean Your Patio Blog Marshalls.pdf

What's the real reason we're not getting highlights of the games so far? I'm presuming there's some kind of requirement from Premier Sports not to show them? I see that the SPFL are showing 1 goal from the Annan , Ayr and  St Johnstone games so the matches are obviously being recorded. 

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Need to get minutes in a few players. Think it’s as good a time to get more game time in Ryan Muir who’s impressed in appearances, you could probably give the new keeper a go, Morrison I think started full training again Monday so get some in him, if you can get 60 mins in Wilson’s tank. I’m guessing east isn’t far away from Gibson’s interview last week so even if you got 10/15 in him, probably the manager himself as well. Thing is we still want to win for momentum and it becomes habit but if we can freshen it up, a lot of these players have played a lot of minutes. I’m guessing finishing second will be worth more coin to, even if we don’t go through?

The difference between going out in second place and third is £4,000 (£29,000 to £25,000).
The bigger money is in getting through - a guaranteed £50,000 and, if it is on tv, you get £77,000. That doesn’t include the share of gate money. 

When did we last progress beyond the LC group stage?  Memory's letting me down here - I can remember watching a LC quarter final v R*ngers but that was in the previous century ...

When did we last progress beyond the LC group stage?  Memory's letting me down here - I can remember watching a LC quarter final v R*ngers but that was in the previous century ...

I don't think we've ever progressed beyond the group stage. It was previously fixtures before they grouped it but I have no idea how far we ever got.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

2018 when we were runners up to Motherwell with 9 points and a +7 GD. We lost 4-2 to St Johnstone in extra time in the last 16.

We also got through the group stage in 2016 as a 9 pt runner up to Partick Thistle, then beat Hibs in the last 16 and lost to Rangers in the Q-F at Ibrox.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2018 when we were runners up to Motherwell with 9 points and a +7 GD. We lost 4-2 to St Johnstone in extra time in the last 16.

We also got through the group stage in 2016 as a 9 pt runner up to Partick Thistle, then beat Hibs in the last 16 and lost to Rangers in the Q-F at Ibrox.

We just signed some guy called Dobbie before the Hibs game.

He was a sub but came on and scored he  ended up a very good signing.

A young forward Dykes got a goal as well .