The Queen of the South thread

I’m looking forward to tomorrow, but the signs aren’t all that good. DAF1468D-A24F-4B5E-9586-0D9CA4ECF7B2.thumb.jpeg.8372eaa2c1f350ac735701d3788f1790.jpeg4146DFAB-1703-4F5F-9955-B0B4FEA3119B.thumb.jpeg.c244d18b147b63b62c0a73109e9e0ae3.jpeg
No issue with the coffee shop one being taken down given we don't have one anymore but the match sign ffs. Surely there is someone at the club that has a spare 5 minutes a week to change it? Or just take the whole bloody thing down.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I’m looking forward to tomorrow, but the signs aren’t all that good. 

No issue with the coffee shop one being taken down given we don't have one anymore but the match sign ffs. Surely there is someone at the club that has a spare 5 minutes a week to change it? Or just take the whole bloody thing down.

The coffee shop one wasn't "taken down".  It fell down in high winds about 5 years ago and still hasn't been removed. 

Gutted not to win today which just shows how well we done. Should have been dead and buried after the Connelly chance. Fucking love Ruari Paton, ran his absolute nuts off all game, keep this level up and we will have a good season 

Found out today that the trouble at market square with the Ayr fans resulted in at least one of our supporters getting a stadium ban from Palmerston. Apparently for life. The guys been going to Palmerston for 40+ years. Nothing said from the club. He says he just tried to split it up and got a bottle over the head so if that’s true I’m not sure why the club have been so harsh. 

A lot of positives to take from that today. I think we were the better side over the piece and I doubt a neutral would have believed there's two divisions between the sides. The energy and work-rate was more like the preseason games. Hopefully Annan was a one off and lets be honest, there would have been a few players in their side with a chip on their shoulder so probably upped their game.

Early days but I'm really liking D.McKay. Paton can't get stuck out wide anymore. An outstanding performance today and surely got motm? (Had to leave early). He runs himself into the ground but his hold-up play is fantastic as well and he'll run at defenders.

Connolly really should have squared it to kill the game off but he was outstanding today again. The goals we lost weren't great defensively, particularly the first. But from an attacking point of view they were really well taken goals from Murphy.

Keep that standard up and we're in for a good season.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

A lot of positives to take from that today. I think we were the better side over the piece and I doubt a neutral would have believed there's two divisions between the sides. The energy and work-rate was more like the preseason games. Hopefully Annan was a one off and lets be honest, there would have been a few players in their side with a chip on their shoulder so probably upped their game.

Early days but I'm really liking D.McKay. Paton can't get stuck out wide anymore. An outstanding performance today and surely got motm? (Had to leave early). He runs himself into the ground but his hold-up play is fantastic as well and he'll run at defenders.

Connolly really should have squared it to kill the game off but he was outstanding today again. The goals we lost weren't great defensively, particularly the first. But from an attacking point of view they were really well taken goals from Murphy.

Keep that standard up and we're in for a good season.

Yes, it was fairly impressive overall.  We were the better side, but I can see our failure to win in 90 minutes costing us in the competition.  

We looked pretty good going forward, but defending was too passive at times, which was particularly evident in St Johnstone's first goal.

Encouraging for the season ahead though.  I'm hoping we can be entertaining.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it was fairly impressive overall.  We were the better side, but I can see our failure to win in 90 minutes costing us in the competition.  

We looked pretty good going forward, but defending was too passive at times, which was particularly evident in St Johnstone's first goal.

Encouraging for the season ahead though.  I'm hoping we can be entertaining.

Thought we were too soft in the middle of the park, which changed a bit when Wilson came on 

11 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Gutted not to win today which just shows how well we done. Should have been dead and buried after the Connelly chance. Fucking love Ruari Paton, ran his absolute nuts off all game, keep this level up and we will have a good season 

Played some really good football actually passed the ball from front to back .

You would have thought we were the S.P.L. team .

We should really have won the game big turning point was the Connelly chance he has to score it but apart from that he as did the rest of team all played well good to see Wilson back .

Only negative thing today was we gave away 2 soft goals apart from that we defended really well .

Have to mention Paton he was brilliant easily the best player on the park seems to have bulked up in pre season lead  the line really well 

Thought we were too soft in the middle of the park, which changed a bit when Wilson came on 

It was screaming out for Wilson at 1-1 so it was refreshing to see a manager watching the same game as me. I have to admit though that I was shocked Cochrane was hooked and not McGrory. I didn't think the latter played poorly but Cochrane was getting stuck in far more in the second half at that point. I do wonder if Cochrane still isn't 100% fit.

Great to see Wilson today as well as feature. Was disappointed there wasn't any sign of Reilly though.

Thought we played really well - some of our passing was a joy to watch. Not difficult to see how Saints struggled last year and they were second best today. Connelly and Paton were superb - ran the back 4 ragged.

Most Queens’ supporters knew instantly the likely implications of Connelly’s missed chance and the equaliser duly arrived right on cue. You couldn’t make it up.

As others have said hard to imagine Connelly’s performance not getting him an MOM gong but Paton was unplayable today and was head and shoulders above everybody. His work rate strength and link up play was superb.We are reaping the benefits of playing with a partnership up top and abandoning the isolated “lone striker” route. Reilly and/or Ruth will have to be good to edge out either of this pair.

Good team performance but Annan loss left us a mountain to climb.

Quite incredible to score 7 in queen's last 3 games with both Reilly and Ruth currently not match fit, it looks even more promising for the season when we have a full squad. Hats of to the management team for gathering a good squad. 

Edited by Rouky

On 03/07/2022 at 19:52, the_palmy_pie said:

Had a walk round Palmerston today and disappointed to see it still in a bit of a mess. Nicely new lined car park at the Queens Arena but weeds everywhere and turnstiles doors still unpainted. 

No idea why the club hasn’t approached the supporters for help this season. You’d think free labour would be right up Hewitson’s street 😕

Gee it a rest

12 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I can barely believe it - Queens far and away the better team today. 

They were but we absolutely have to break this recurring habit of continually squandering winning positions. Today was another classic example of getting a minimal return for our efforts.

16 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

Found out today that the trouble at market square with the Ayr fans resulted in at least one of our supporters getting a stadium ban from Palmerston. Apparently for life. The guys been going to Palmerston for 40+ years. Nothing said from the club. He says he just tried to split it up and got a bottle over the head so if that’s true I’m not sure why the club have been so harsh. 

That's the account I heard from an eyewitness too. If it's the guy I'm thinking of I have only ever seen him twice trying to diffuse situations - not cause trouble. Once when that nutter from Crusaders was allowed to run round to the Home end unchallenged and against St.Johnstone in the SC when 2 of their number - one wearing a bright yellow coat which was glaring in the Away section 1st half - again moved unchallenged to the Home end. Does seem very harsh and hard to understand.

Overall, from what I have heard, it was clearly that repulsive Ayr group that were looking for trouble.

Just as they were on Tuesday night outside Somerset after the game when a number of them congregated - some with faces covered as usual. No Police or Stewards in sight either. 

The Market Square incident - and all the subsequent consequences - could have been avoided if just 2 Police Officers had been deployed at the bottom of Glasgow Street after the game. I have seen that many times in the past and don't understand why it didn't happen on that occasion  as it was a high pressure game and it was also clear to see during the game that Ayr had a very raucous group that needed watching.

Whoever planned that Operation has cost the taxpayer a lot of money. Police and Ambulance attendance, hospital treatment/admission and Court action.  More importantly, innocent people were assaulted and injured which could have been easily avoided.  Ironically, i recall seeing a Tweet from D and G Police on the day of the game saying there would be a Police presence to keep everyone safe !