The Queen of the South thread

Not really a surprise. Apart from 4 players the nucleus of the squad is of league 1 level. 

Someone better tell Gibson. He's been preparing a squad able to play in League 1 :(

Well that burst the bubble of optimism.

Thought we had strengthened our defence but today looked even more vulnerable than before.

Currie coming for a punch he did not need to come for.

Todd overplaying in midfield rather removing it quicker.

Really disappointed with our forward players going missing for to long in games. Murray especially.

Paton worked hard with a nice goal but needs help.

WG has to bin 3 at the back. 

Morrison has to defend and leave the passing the ball to people that can. Our defence getting bullied by Tommy Goss should be a wake up call for WG.

All this talk of 4 big players to come in - you can only play with the players who are fit. We are going to have injuries and suspension during the season and need a squad of depth to cope with absent players. Reilly hasn't set any team on fie and been a regular goal scoring since he left us. There is  reason why he has had so many teams and been on loan so often. Wilson impressed me when he was first at palmerston but not so much since either for or in opposition. No one knows where East has been signed to play - forward/centre half or full back. Ruth never done much at this level when here before.

We’ve still 4 big players to come back in so no panic here just yet. 
The knickerwetting really is something else. I can remember drawing at home to East Kilbride in this cup and being absolutely furious. I'm sure we were fine that season. I'm not excusing a shit performance but I think some of us have probably got carried away already and this result has brought us back to the reality that this cup is still effectively glorified friendlies. I'm not ready to concede the league title just yet.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
36 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

The knickerwetting really is something else. I can remember drawing at home to East Kilbride in this cup and being absolutely furious. I'm sure we were fine that season. I'm not excusing a shit performance but I think some of us have probably got carried away already and this result has brought us back to the reality that this cup is still effectively glorified friendlies. I'm not ready to concede the league title just yet.

Of course what you say is absolutely correct.

From my point of view it's the absolute predictability of a dismal performance to deflate any positivity that we might have felt that generates the negativity. 

We might of course  still do well this season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Of course what you say is absolutely correct.
From my point of view it's the absolute predictability of a dismal performance to deflate any positivity that we might have felt that generates the negativity. 
We might of course  still do well this season.
The negativity is warranted as we're all deflated. I just think going to the lengths that it's a season defining result and questioning the ability of the quality players we have out is a bit farfetched at this stage.

It obviously wasn't a great performance but the overreaction on here is mental. This is the first game of the new season, with a new squad, in a competition that (let's be honest) no-one could care any less about. We cannot write off our whole season because we lost a glorified friendly.

And the performance wasn't even as bad as people are making out. At times we passed the ball nicely and kept possession well. We created chances, certainly more than in any game at the end of last season. Think McKechnie's early miss, Connelly had a couple of shots after good footwork and Quitongo looked a reasonable attacking threat at times.

This isn't taking away from the criticism, which definitely needs to be made, but the game was not a complete disaster - I for one thought our 2 goals were absolute crackers.

In terms of the formation, I would stick with the 3 at the back, at least for the next couple of games. If that is what Wullie thought our best way of playing was, and how he focused his recruitment, he shouldn't discard it after one failure. Use it for the next couple and give the team some practice with it; that is what these games are for. If it still doesn't work, change it after. I would like to see Wullie at least put himself on the bench though - we could have done with him today.

I'm not giving up on this team yet, and I am still looking forward to the start of the season (just about). Hopefully we bounce back against Ayr.

Edited by Doonhamer19

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The negativity is warranted as we're all deflated. I just think going to the lengths that it's a season defining result and questioning the ability of the quality players we have out is a bit farfetched at this stage.

Yes that's fair enough.

17 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

It obviously wasn't a great performance but the overreaction on here is mental. This is the first game of the new season, with a new squad, in a competition that (let's be honest) no-one could care any less about. We cannot write off our whole season because we lost a glorified friendly.

And the performance wasn't even as bad as people are making out. At times we passed the ball nicely and kept possession well. We created chances, certainly more than in any game at the end of last season. Think McKechnie's early miss, Connelly had a couple of shots after good footwork and Quitongo looked a reasonable attacking threat at times.

This isn't taking away from the criticism, which definitely needs to be made, but the game was not a complete disaster - I for one thought our 2 goals were absolute crackers.

In terms of the formation, I would stick with the 3 at the back, at least for the next couple of games. If that is what Wullie thought our best way of playing was, and how he focused his recruitment, he shouldn't discard it after one failure. Use it for the next couple and give the team some practice with it; that is what these games are for. If it still doesn't work, change it after. I would like to see Wullie at least put himself on the bench though - we could have done with him today.

I'm not giving up on this team yet, and I am still looking forward to the start of the season (just about). Hopefully we bounce back against Ayr.

I wouldn’t mind a run in this cup and I’m sure Mr Hewitson might have considered the prize money on offer as an incentive to do well.

If you don’t think that was that bad performance then I’d hate to see what you regard as one!

The keeper was awful, the defence was rag dolled by Tommy Goss and caught dithering in possession numerous times, midfield outfought and unable to find a man with a pass when they were about 10 yards away!

You’re correct in that they MAY still have a good season but that performance against League 2 opposition is deserving of all the criticism it gets.

16 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I wouldn’t mind a run in this cup and I’m sure Mr Hewitson might have considered the prize money on offer as an incentive to do well.

If you don’t think that was that bad performance then I’d hate to see what you regard as one!

The keeper was awful, the defence was rag dolled by Tommy Goss and caught dithering in possession numerous times, midfield outfought and unable to find a man with a pass when they were about 10 yards away!

You’re correct in that they MAY still have a good season but that performance against League 2 opposition is deserving of all the criticism it gets.

I wouldn't mind a cup run either, but this is not the competition to do it in. Even when we were in the championship we hardly ever got out of the group - the whole thing is designed to keep the Premiership teams in it as the group format requires consistency and ability, and lessens the impact of luck. Not only would we have to get something against St Johnstone, we'd also have to win against the rest of our group, which is, evidently, unlikely. For me, it is best to treat this as an extension of preseason.

As for the game, I am fully aware it wasn't our best performance but I was merely suggesting it wasn't completely awful. As the negatives have been well documented I was highlighting the things I thought were alright. I hope to see better performances in the future, and haven't completely lost hope about our chances in the league.

Edited by Doonhamer19

Away from the actual game itself, would it be too much to ask that the information given in the match preview on the OS is correct. The ticket booth at the East Stand WAS open to purchase "tickets" despite the OS saying they could only be purchased at the Arena. We were also advised to use the correct turnstiles because there would be no access open between the East Stand and Oakbank Terrace yet people were going between the two no bother. I don't quite understand this restriction anyway unless opposition fans occupy the whole East Stand. 

On another matter, I would like to applaud the Board's attempts in  trying to stop residents living in the houses behind the Terregles St. end from getting a free view of games, I'm sure when the grass screening growing along the back of the Terracing reaches full height it will offer an effective and cheap solution, its already well on its way to doing its job. Also the Board's continued dedication to the preservation of the protected species of wildlife that inhabit the roofs of the Stands is admirable, and their continued  efforts in this  shouldn't be swayed by complaints from mere paying customers who have to sit in filthy seats, or have their enjoyment of the match, or whatever little enjoyment is on offer, spoilt by swooping hordes of these poor, misunderstood, creatures. Keep up the good work gents, everything around Palmerston is just dandy. 

Gibson's latest interview isn't too encouraging. It seems that Gav is the only one close to returning. Hopefully another couple of signings before the Clyde game.

8 hours ago, Doonhamer19 said:

I know that it is most certainly not the case but I would be furious if anybody at the Club - players, owners, management were not bothered about progressing in the  League Cup.  If you get through the group,the seeding arrgts give you a high probability of a very decent pay day and possible revenue from a live tv match. With big income in Scottish football such a scarce commodity the League Cup is one passport to earning some significant unbudgeted income. Failing feebly at the first hurdle is in my view a huge disappointment. We got a favourable draw - wins against Annan and Elgin would have given us a shoot out with Ayr to try and secure 9 points and almost certain qualification. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I know that it is most certainly not the case but I would be furious if anybody at the Club - players, owners, management were not bothered about progressing in the  League Cup.  If you get through the group,the seeding arrgts give you a high probability of a very decent pay day and possible revenue from a live tv match. With big income in Scottish football such a scarce commodity the League Cup is one passport to earning some significant unbudgeted income. Failing feebly at the first hurdle is in my view a huge disappointment. We got a favourable draw - wins against Annan and Elgin would have given us a shoot out with Ayr to try and secure 9 points and almost certain qualification. 

Totally this.

Clearly, there has been some overreaction to this result.  However, the pretence that it doesn't matter is just daft. 

Given the nature and timing of this tournament, it undoubtedly does have a pre-season, experimental air about it.  The reality is, however, that it does have potential to provide progress and income.   The fact that we're virtually out of it already, while not perhaps disastrous, is a real blow.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, QosLoyal said:

Whats our record been at palmerston last 3 seasons? No excuses it must be absolutely howling.

I think Queens have won 13 of their last 55 home games in the League, League Cup and Scottish Cup in the last 3 seasons. They have won 3 from 3 in the Challenge Cup, though.
League P45 W12 D10 L23
League Cup P7 W1 D3 L3
Scottish Cup P3 W0 D0 L3

From 1 January 2020 Queens have won 9 out of 43 home games in the League, League Cup and Scottish Cup.
Dunfermline x2; Ayr x2; Morton x2; Alloa, Airdrie and ICT.