The Queen of the South thread

Won't clog up the cup thread. That was pretty fucking dreadful tbh. The fact the person who gave away the second goal got MoM sums up how terrible we were as a team.

Defensively that looked very very worrying. Trying to look at it positively, once we went to a back 4 we didn't look quite so shite. Getting absolutely bossed at the back by Tommy Goss is as frightening as it is embarrassing. With respect, we'll face far better players and Goss looked outstanding against our mob in the first half. We had him sussed second half thankfully so hopefully they've learned from that bossing. I'm hoping Gibson uses the rest of the games to find his best CB pairing and we need to stick to a back 4.

Going forward Annan had us sussed most of the game and Paton did the only think that would work for the second goal: dropped for the ball and turned. Sadly we never did it again. How fucking stupid are folk in our support with the "Get it up the park?!?!?" shouts btw? Our tallest forward player is about 5ft 10" ffs.

A lot to be worried about but we're always shite in this cup and it's glorified friendlies. I hope he uses them to his advantage now and we're ready to go against Clyde. That standard of performance can't be a regular thing though. Reilly, Wilson and East back ASAP as well please.

I thought having a squad assembled early might have given us the chance of a good start but that was just pathetic.  Unable to pass the ball to a teammate and basically outfought by a very ordinary Annan side.  

Gibson has a hell of a job on his hands if he is to get this lot challenging at the right end of the table.

Edited by Dougie Mills

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

I thought having a squad assembled early might have given us the chance of a good start but that was just pathetic.  Unable to pass the ball to a teammate and basically outfought by a very ordinary Annan side.  

Gibson has a hell of a job on his hands if he is to get this lot challenging at the right end of the table.

Have to hope Reilly East Ruth and Wilson are fit soon.

My worry today is our defence and keeper .

Every time Annan came forward they looked like they would score we still don't have that commanding player to win the ball and organise things. 

Wullie Gibson has to play we missed his drive going forward something that McKenna just can't do.

Have said we need a big striker look what the difference Goss makes to Annan .

We need to replace Fitzpatrick as well .

On today's showing we have not got a hope in hell of challenging for the League massive job for WG .

What did go well was the new ticket system no problem with that. 

Edited by Greenacres

A much better than anticipated crowd rewarded with a truly awful performance. All the problems from last season there again in abundance - gutless and lost when up against a committed physical outfit, shambolic defending, no cutting edge when going forward.

A few huge lessons to surely be learned from this :-

— ditch back 3 immediately.The CBs have to compete for the two spots no point in trying to shoehorn them into the side 

- Willie has to play (clearly our best player)on that evidence he could play at RB, central midfield or wide in a midfield 4 on either side. Take your pick but we cannot afford to leave our best and most influential player standing duplicating what Grant Murray is doing on the sidelines

- Goalkeeper looks a problem position already. Only hope that is a one off but I am not so sure. Cowie needs to be on standby unless they sign somebody else. 

- Players like Murray, Cochrane ,McKechnie and dare I say Connelly are so easily brushed off the ball. We surely can’t keep picking so many players who just don’t deliver “in the heat of battle”

A FT side losing 3 goals at home to League 2 opposition sets off huge alarm bells. We need to take that performance as a big wake up call or face another fight at the foot of the table. Not good either that 4 key players return from close season not fit to play.

3 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

A much better than anticipated crowd rewarded with a truly awful performance. All the problems from last season there again in abundance - gutless and lost when up against a committed physical outfit, shambolic defending, no cutting edge when going forward.

— ditch back 3 immediately.The CBs have to compete for the two spots no point in trying to shoehorn them into the side 

- Willie has to play (clearly our best player)on that evidence he could play at RB, central midfield or wide in a midfield 4 on either side. Take your pick but we cannot afford to leave our best and most influential player standing duplicating what Grant Murray is doing on the sidelines

- Goalkeeper looks a problem position already. Only hope that is a one off but I am not so sure. Cowie needs to be on standby unless they sign somebody else. 

- Players like Murray, Cochrane ,McKechnie and dare I say Connelly are so easily brushed off the ball. We surely can’t keep picking so many players who just don’t deliver “in the heat of battle”

A FT side losing 3 goals at home to League 2 opposition sets off huge alarm bells. We need to take that performance as a big wake up call or face another fight at the foot of the table. Not good either that 4 key players return from close season not fit to play.

I was working, never made today, what was the crowd?

I'm convinced if Gibson was benched today he'd have brought himself on. We had nothing on the bench but a positive was that he was about to bring McGrory on just before we equalised. If we can get all our players fit it might make them get their arses in gear as I think he won't hold back with pulling folk off the park. I was surprised he never put Gibson on for McKechnie tbh. I'm not sure he could have done any worse.

Goalie seems a problem area already... [emoji2357] 
Not writing the guy off after one game. He doesn't look at all convincing from crosses as we were told and hopefully that is worked on and improved. He didn't have much else to do but did make a really good stop at 2-2 when our defenders all went to sleep thinking the offside flag was coming.

I thought in the Raith game that Currie looked a bit suspect and today did little to allay my fears.  Looks like a decent shot stopper but a bit of a flapper, and he really needs to be more vocal towards his defenders.

I'd forgotten how frustrating a player Murray is to watch.  There's definitely a player in there but he disappears too easily and his body language doesn't help - he tends to look exhausted after 10 minutes.

I'm not meaning to be over critical of McKenna, but he's no Wullie G.

The big difference today for me was that an average Annan team managed to give our defence and keeper plenty to think about, especially in the first half, while we tended to try to over-elaborate things and struggled to create clear cut chances.  I'm not convinced that Reilly will dramatically change that, but we could certainly do with that extra striker sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, Solway Star said:

Too easy Slipmat to say Annan were average! 
Thought we were the better team and if you don’t watch then Annan could pass you at the end of the season!

Annan reasonably happy with the result and their performance!

I agree, you were definitely the better team!

11 minutes ago, Solway Star said:

Too easy Slipmat to say Annan were average! 
Thought we were the better team and if you don’t watch then Annan could pass you at the end of the season!

Annan reasonably happy with the result and their performance!

I think you are so right on the subject of our respective places in the Pyramid. We are packed full of players who are capable of playing “pretty” football if teams back off …………as soon as the opposition battles for everything they are invariably found wanting. We are obsessed with “sexy” modern formations that really dont suit us one iota but let’s hope that today was a wake up call. It certainly should be because QOS supporters have had to endure a torturous time for several years and our home record has started off exactly where it has been for ages.

Annan played well - compact formation, well organised and dangerous up front. Thought Galloway has potential. 

Yes would agree that most teams now try and play pretty football. It seems that like me you are old school! 
Would prefer the ball to go up the park rather than the pussyfooting around playing players into trouble!

I wish Queens all the best for forthcoming season as a lot of guys in Annan are Queens supporters and good luck to them! Also to you guys wish you all the best and think this is the first time Annan have beaten Queens in living memory!

Certainly in my living memory.

2 minutes ago, Solway Star said:

Yes would agree that most teams now try and play pretty football. It seems that like me you are old school! 
Would prefer the ball to go up the park rather than the pussyfooting around playing players into trouble!

I wish Queens all the best for forthcoming season as a lot of guys in Annan are Queens supporters and good luck to them! Also to you guys wish you all the best and think this is the first time Annan have beaten Queens in living memory!

Certainly in my living memory.

This is the 1st time Annan have beaten Queens  in a competitive match .

Hopefully a reality check for Queens we are miles away from a team that can challenge to come back up WG has a huge job .

As always I  think everyone at Queens wish Annan all the best for the season