The Queen of the South thread

I didn’t like the 3 at the back in the first half today. We were devoid of any real width and Murray and Connelly were in no mans land when we were defending which left us wide open. 

It was significantly better second half I felt when we went to a 4-2-3-1. I hope it’s a 4 we set up with during the league cup games. 

I didn’t like the 3 at the back in the first half today. We were devoid of any real width and Murray and Connelly were in no mans land when we were defending which left us wide open. 

It was significantly better second half I felt when we went to a 4-2-3-1. I hope it’s a 4 we set up with during the league cup games. 

The 3412 will take time to get used to, it’s probably a system not many of the players have played, if we are going to use it along side a 442 which second half was, then we need to stick with it for now and let players get used to it. It’s the little things like when opposition full backs come forward, who goes… does Connelly or Murray work it or do the defence shuffle across and quitongo presses. The other system is fine players know there roles but personnel wise we suit the 3412 in terms of numbers in positions so I’d like us to stick with it and get or try and get used to it rather than bin it after about 2 games

Also thought it didn’t suit the choice of middle 2 yesterday. Game was passing them by trying to be to cute at times rather than going for things, was still a friendly I guess but thought it cried out for Wilson or someone likewise

Although I can’t stand Rangers, I had a lot of time for Andy Goram. He was a brilliant keeper, a talented cricketer (a sport at which he also represented Scotland), and a real character, and took the ‘there’s only two Andy Gorams’ (and similar) shouts with good humour. I remember when Queens beat Brechin in the final of the Challenge Cup in Oct 2002, I was on my way home from the game, when my mobile rang. I didn’t recognise the number, and when I answered it it was the man himself, clearly in the dressing room or at the back of the team bus with a few cold refreshments at hand, saying ‘…… mate, we’ve won the bloody cup!’ By way of explanation, I was friendly with a member of the Queens’ backroom team at the time, even though I’d never met Goram himself. He seemed genuinely just as delighted as he would doubtless have been whenever he won a trophy with Rangers, which in itself is a testament to the man. R.I.P. Andy Goram.

Edited by Frankie S

12 hours ago, Doonhamer19 said:

2071294855_Screenshot2022-07-02at22_16_02.thumb.png.9851f0efb11ff002b949554ed0c5d709.png

All preseason lineups and substitutions. The substitutions aren't player for player but by position (e.g. vs Raith Rovers McKechnie was subbed on for Paul McKay but played at RWB).

My thoughts:

Wullie seems to be favouring either a 3421 or 3412 formation, which so far I like as it allows Connelly to be more central than where he was at the end of last season where he was stuck out wide. Also Todd and Quitongo have both played very well in their positions, Quitongo's form being especially pleasing due to the doubts (myself included) around his ability upon signing. I've also been pleased to see so many youth players given a chance, particularly Lewis Gibson who looks to be a real player, getting an assist today as well.

I would use a similar team in the league cup next week, although that depends on the fitness of those who haven't played so far. Does anyone know if Gibson has decided whether he will be a regular first team player this season? Obviously he hasn't played himself so far in preseason. I would imagine he would be very good at RWB though!

I now can't wait for the season to start as we look to have a good squad, certainly better than last year already. Hopefully the campaign doesn't end up being too disappointing...

///

Raith Rovers highlights incase you haven't seen them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvyAnYaRxdQ

Today's trialist was confirmed to be Ross Irving in this article: http://www.qosfc.com/news-5799. If it has been confirmed, does that mean we are signing him? I didn't think the trialist names were publicly disclosed by clubs.

how has Max Currie been since signing,    early days an upgrade on Rae or not..

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Tickets are now on sale for the Annan game. First time doing online sales!

https://qosfc.ticketco.events/uk/en/e/queen_of_the_south_fc_vs_annan_athletic

Any plans to put a link in the “Next match” box on the OS? Would be handy to have something that stays on the homepage until the game.
Anyway, hope it all goes smoothly. And good that paper tickets can still be bought on the day.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Any plans to put a link in the “Next match” box on the OS? Would be handy to have something that stays on the homepage until the game.
Anyway, hope it all goes smoothly. And good that paper tickets can still be bought on the day.

Im doing it now. In fact, I had to stop doing it to reply to your post asking me if Im doing it ;) :lol:

ETA - and now its done

Edited by Homer Thompson

Im doing it now. In fact, I had to stop doing it to reply to your post asking me if Im doing it [emoji6] [emoji38]
ETA - and now its done
When you purchase a ticket does it just need to be looked at by the turnstile operator rather than require scanning or anything? I wont get there until 15/20 past on Saturday so the turnstiles will likely be closed.

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Im doing it now. In fact, I had to stop doing it to reply to your post asking me if Im doing it ;) :lol:

ETA - and now its done

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
36 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:
Im doing it now. In fact, I had to stop doing it to reply to your post asking me if Im doing it emoji6.png emoji38.png
ETA - and now its done

When you purchase a ticket does it just need to be looked at by the turnstile operator rather than require scanning or anything? I wont get there until 15/20 past on Saturday so the turnstiles will likely be closed.

It needs to be scanned. If the turnstiles are shut, I think you'll be able to go in at the office

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

;) 

Or we are not worried about people knowing.... 
But the ref etc would be told who the trialist was as well. 

I'm probably over-thinking it, I just can't recall ever seeing a trialist officially named and wondered if it meant we were about to sign him. Probably the former rather than the latter!

1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

Tickets are now on sale for the Annan game. First time doing online sales!

https://qosfc.ticketco.events/uk/en/e/queen_of_the_south_fc_vs_annan_athletic

Ticketing blurb for the Annan game on the OS says tickets will be available on the day of the game from the Arena, will the booths at the East Stand not be open? 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ticketing blurb for the Annan game on the OS says tickets will be available on the day of the game from the Arena, will the booths at the East Stand not be open? 

No, I dont believe so. As far as I know, the plan is just to have one ticket office in the arena

Edited by Homer Thompson

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Would take Ugwu as another striker would allow us to mix it up a bit. On trial at Falkirk just now

He is exactly what we need but we could get nowhere near what Falkirk will offer him.

That is the type of quality we should be after not the likes of our trialist on Saturday .

27 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

He is exactly what we need but we could get nowhere near what Falkirk will offer him.

That is the type of quality we should be after not the likes of our trialist on Saturday .

^^^^   The Financial Expert seemingly with knowledge of every teams budgets and player's wages speaks again. 

51 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

No, I dont believe so. As far as I know, the plan is just to have one ticket office in the arena

If that's the case it's crap. Do you know if the Terracing turnstiles at the Arena side will be open this season or are "Red Zones" still in place. Referees and Away teams changing arrangements should surely be back to pre-covid situation of them all using the main stand dressing rooms.